• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to beat Lucario with Fox

ItzzJak

Smash Rookie
hey guys
So I recently faced a player and I could beat all of his secondaries except his Lucario. I felt like I was better than him in skill but whenever I'd get him to a high percent he'd match our per cents in three hits.
There was one time in particular where I was doing great, combo'ing the crap out of him until her reached about %120 and I was on about %20. In three hits he killed me.

I often like to approach and it was suggested to me that I stay back and play defensive when he has aura but I get scared that he's just gonna hit me with a aura sphere and do like %30.
Any advice/tips would be extremely appreciated, cheers.

Major Kater

Smash Rookie
Finish your food.

Don't allow his health to rack up. Know your kill percentages. But most of all, just pick a different character. Preferably one with high kill power, like Link, Mewtwo, Captain Falcon, Marth, etc.

At least that's how I deal with Lucarios.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Yeah Lucario is a pain in the ass MU in my book, I play against Marley from the Lucario boards and the aura trap to Usmash is a legit setup against fox, and well end you when he gets aura + rage.

Your best option lies in constantly pressuring him, and then punishing his mistakes.
So throwing out more kill setups when he's in the 100%s is your best idea, like Dair to Usmash or something like that.

But most importantly space yourself, don't just have a roll battle with him, else he can get a command grab Side B, if you constantly space yourself and pick up his habits about using Force Palm, then you can reflect it and it might kill him.

ALWAYS throw him off stage, so you can punish his get up action

Last edited:

tyc

Smash Rookie
NNID
tyczynski
Yeah spacing and keeping pressure are super important in this MU, pressure in order to not let him get room to land his strong moves at high % and spacing cause Lucario have really good moves to punish bad positionning, especially with his aerials that cover him from every angles (especially from bellow which is quite rare in this game), I'm always carefull when i try to get follow ups in the air and either bait him into throwing something and punish it or mixing up where i'm coming at him from, for instance after a down throw at mid/high % i'll mix up between up air, cross up back air or simply going upfront with Fair.

Also trying to pressure his shield with cross up Nair is very good since he doesn't have any oos options to cover his back, stuff like cross up Nair into a mixup of Up Tilt, jab, grab and dash grab to chase after rolls is quite effective.

And overall punish his jumps, even if he can mixup his momentum with B reverse Aura Sphere, he's still very floaty and easy to put in a bad position by just running at him when he jumps, just watch out as always for the fast aerials and B reverses.

The matchup is in fox's favor imo but you need to keep a constant offensive pressure to cut off his options.

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
The MU is at least 65:35 in Fox's favour so if you're having problems then I dunno what to tell you. You should be going for exclusively kill setups or punishing rather than tacking on damage passed 80%.

Jab 1,2 infinites Lucario at every % into a D/Usmash.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
If Lucario plays super defensively, camps in shield, this match up gets a lot harder for Fox. You would require a hard read to land a kill. My suggestion would be to stay in Lucario's face, and don't give him a chance to breath. Something to note is if he up+b to recover, and miss the ledge and aims for the stage.. he will have about 1 second of landing lag. Punish this.

Most Lucarios would play aggressively at first, until they rack up Aura percentages, and then will space with aura balls/force palm/etc.. So you may require a hard read to get the kill.

Lucario also has uthrow -> uair combo on Fox that can kill early. The trick is to DI behind Lucario. Don't get your DI read though as they can mix up with a dthrow instead. However most Lucarios will always go for the uthrow.

I would say this match up is 60:40 in Lucario's favor.

ItzzJak

Smash Rookie
Finish your food.

Don't allow his health to rack up. Know your kill percentages. But most of all, just pick a different character. Preferably one with high kill power, like Link, Mewtwo, Captain Falcon, Marth, etc.

At least that's how I deal with Lucarios.
Awesome thanks!

ItzzJak

Smash Rookie
Yeah Lucario is a pain in the *** MU in my book, I play against Marley from the Lucario boards and the aura trap to Usmash is a legit setup against fox, and well end you when he gets aura + rage.

Your best option lies in constantly pressuring him, and then punishing his mistakes.
So throwing out more kill setups when he's in the 100%s is your best idea, like Dair to Usmash or something like that.

But most importantly space yourself, don't just have a roll battle with him, else he can get a command grab Side B, if you constantly space yourself and pick up his habits about using Force Palm, then you can reflect it and it might kill him.

ALWAYS throw him off stage, so you can punish his get up action
Will do, thanks for the tips!

ItzzJak

Smash Rookie
Yeah spacing and keeping pressure are super important in this MU, pressure in order to not let him get room to land his strong moves at high % and spacing cause Lucario have really good moves to punish bad positionning, especially with his aerials that cover him from every angles (especially from bellow which is quite rare in this game), I'm always carefull when i try to get follow ups in the air and either bait him into throwing something and punish it or mixing up where i'm coming at him from, for instance after a down throw at mid/high % i'll mix up between up air, cross up back air or simply going upfront with Fair.

Also trying to pressure his shield with cross up Nair is very good since he doesn't have any oos options to cover his back, stuff like cross up Nair into a mixup of Up Tilt, jab, grab and dash grab to chase after rolls is quite effective.

And overall punish his jumps, even if he can mixup his momentum with B reverse Aura Sphere, he's still very floaty and easy to put in a bad position by just running at him when he jumps, just watch out as always for the fast aerials and B reverses.

The matchup is in fox's favor imo but you need to keep a constant offensive pressure to cut off his options.
Ok, I'll take this into consideration next time, thanks a bunch!

ItzzJak

Smash Rookie
If Lucario plays super defensively, camps in shield, this match up gets a lot harder for Fox. You would require a hard read to land a kill. My suggestion would be to stay in Lucario's face, and don't give him a chance to breath. Something to note is if he up+b to recover, and miss the ledge and aims for the stage.. he will have about 1 second of landing lag. Punish this.

Most Lucarios would play aggressively at first, until they rack up Aura percentages, and then will space with aura balls/force palm/etc.. So you may require a hard read to get the kill.

Lucario also has uthrow -> uair combo on Fox that can kill early. The trick is to DI behind Lucario. Don't get your DI read though as they can mix up with a dthrow instead. However most Lucarios will always go for the uthrow.

I would say this match up is 60:40 in Lucario's favor.
Ok thank you so much, This'll deffinately help for next time :)

Top Bottom