• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to be Pro at Diddy Kong, Part 2-Advanced Techniques

paOol

Smash Apprentice
Just uploaded it a little while ago. took a while for youtube to process it.
i cover some advanced techniques and i plan to add alot more. i'll be updating the video so check back often :D
just read the description on the right and you'll be fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwL4Z-sY0rg

an1bal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anibalt
3DS FC
0018-2664-8234
Questions...

1) the DI on diddy hump, is it affected by the opponents damage ?

Nice vid paool, i look forward to seeing more diddy from you in the future.

WhiteCarnation

Smash Cadet
Question I have is - When is a prime time to use Diddy's Side-B?

I don't think I use it enough and when I have used it it has been rather effective, but I need to identify a good time to use it as a base for forming other strategies.

I mostly just do smashes (ground and air) and use his bananas

Also when are a few good times for grabs? I barely use them, honestly.

paOol

Smash Apprentice
Questions...

1) the DI on diddy hump, is it affected by the opponents damage ?

Nice vid paool, i look forward to seeing more diddy from you in the future.

Yes, it is affected by their damage. i had the cpu set to 999 so i could hump them for a long time. normally they can get out of it pretty quickly.

Question I have is - When is a prime time to use Diddy's Side-B?

I don't think I use it enough and when I have used it it has been rather effective, but I need to identify a good time to use it as a base for forming other strategies.

I mostly just do smashes (ground and air) and use his bananas

Also when are a few good times for grabs? I barely use them, honestly.

diddy hump does 15% damage and can break through shields. so its a good alternative for damage and doesn't use up the dimishing returns on your other attacks like Fsmash and Dsmash.
if you are mainly doing smashes, its harder to KO them at lower percents.

like the diddy hump, grabs are good because they do around 10% and leave your Fsmash/Dsmash for a KO.

try playing through a life WITHOUT using a single Fsmash or Dsmsash for damage. Then once they are around 105%, do it to them on the edge and they'll most likely die.

X6488

Smash Journeyman
How does one do the snap cancel? That looks useful.

EDIT: Er, nevermind. The how-to is all in the video description on the right if anyone needs it.

okor

Smash Apprentice
Yo paOol, as a top Diddy player, what do you think about the up-b charge jump glitch?

WhiteCarnation

Smash Cadet
try playing through a life WITHOUT using a single Fsmash or Dsmsash for damage. Then once they are around 105%, do it to them on the edge and they'll most likely die.
Sounds good, playing without the smashes could teach me a few things too.

Thanks

paOol

Smash Apprentice
Yo paOol, as a top Diddy player, what do you think about the up-b charge jump glitch?
i think its cool. and a good find, but i don't really see how practical it is. As far as i know, it only works when you get hit UP. this allows you to go up much higher, but that doesn't help at all for when you get hit of the screen and are trying to use this to recover (doesn't work). also, a couple times i've tried it unsuccessfully which caused me to FALL faster while charging my up+B.
the problem is that it requires you to be hit before you can do it. otherwise it'd be alot more useful like the zap jump.

Timcanpy

Smash Cadet
paool or someone else, can explain, how do some of that "advanced techniques", like snap cancel, or the banana toss with jump cancel, dlx cancel, pls -- Forgive me for my poor english

paOol

Smash Apprentice
paool or someone else, can explain, how do some of that "advanced techniques", like snap cancel, or the banana toss with jump cancel, dlx cancel, pls -- Forgive me for my poor english
the description is on the youtube video. click on the "more" button on the right. it explains all the techniques and how to do them. :dizzy:

Skarmbliss

Smash Cadet
Paool I have so many questions to ask you about Diddy Kong lol.

1) Does his Nair have any use.

2) What use the peanut guns have?

3) When should I pull out the banana peels? Is it effective to have 2 bana peels or just 1?

4) If my opponent is hanging from the edge and say that he jumps above Diddy. What should Diddy do in that situation?

5) Does his tap A tail combo have any uses really?

I would love to play you anytime Paool and I feel like I need some help with Diddy Kong.

Thank you

KoopaKoopaParatroopa

Smash Apprentice

3) When should I pull out the banana peels? Is it effective to have 2 bana peels or just 1?

4) If my opponent is hanging from the edge and say that he jumps above Diddy. What should Diddy do in that situation?

Thank you
I'm not paOol, but I'll input anyways.

1. Nair has barely any landing lag, you can use it to juggle/combo.
2. MINDGAMEZ or turning around in the air (that is the reverse popgun cancel). sometimes it's really annoying as an edgeguard . oh yeah, you can also grab / shield while diddy is aiming his popgun, provided that you are on the ground.
3. I"m not sure about this one. personally, I take out two and start throwing them madly, which I think is not an effective way at all lol. I need to work on those.
4. bair, fair, maybe nair, or pull out a banana
5. Not sure either. :ohwell:

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
For the 5th question you just use it to rack up damage, and if your opponent doesn't DI against it correctly, you can Fsmash or Dsmash after it. And for the fourth question I wouldn't suggest pulling out a banana, since Diddy's air attacks are so easy to land. And if you were to use bananas, use them before your opponent gets to the edge.

Skarmbliss

Smash Cadet
I'm not paOol, but I'll input anyways.

1. Nair has barely any landing lag, you can use it to juggle/combo.
2. MINDGAMEZ or turning around in the air (that is the reverse popgun cancel). sometimes it's really annoying as an edgeguard . oh yeah, you can also grab / shield while diddy is aiming his popgun, provided that you are on the ground.
3. I"m not sure about this one. personally, I take out two and start throwing them madly, which I think is not an effective way at all lol. I need to work on those.
4. bair, fair, maybe nair, or pull out a banana
5. Not sure either. :ohwell:
I know your trying to help but I want Paool to answer the questions. Thanks anyways :)

Also Paool how do I do the Diddy Hump DI? I tried it at 999% and i cant seem to make it for some reason.

Timcanpy

Smash Cadet
I know your trying to help but I want Paool to answer the questions. Thanks anyways :)

Also Paool how do I do the Diddy Hump DI? I tried it at 999% and i cant seem to make it for some reason.
.Diddy Hump DI
Unfortunately, only the opponent can control the direction by tapping, so this one is just a teaser :p

an1bal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anibalt
3DS FC
0018-2664-8234
i think its cool. and a good find, but i don't really see how practical it is. As far as i know, it only works when you get hit UP. this allows you to go up much higher, but that doesn't help at all for when you get hit of the screen and are trying to use this to recover (doesn't work). also, a couple times i've tried it unsuccessfully which caused me to FALL faster while charging my up+B.
the problem is that it requires you to be hit before you can do it. otherwise it'd be alot more useful like the zap jump.
I might be wrong, but i believe you can do it whenever you're hit, not necessarily when you're hit up. Ive done it a few times on matches and it's just a matter of getting used to going from x/y to up B quickly.

I would love to play you anytime Paool and I feel like I need some help with Diddy Kong.

Thank you
You can rack up decent damage with the tail if they dont DI. I like the tail. Plus opponents get annoyed quickly and make mistakes :)

paOol

Smash Apprentice

Thank you

My answers are pretty much similar to koopa , but i'll answer your questions anyways.

1. Nair seems to always throw them up into the air. whenever i use Nair its usually when im coming down from the air and they are on the ground. it sends them up and i have no lag so i can immediately jump and start doing some aerials on them or if they are low percent, i can pull off a upsmash or a couple uptilts.

2. i use the peanut gun for damage / spacing against ppl with no projectiles like marth, ike. also its useful for interrupting fox/falco/wolf's recovery. the peanut gun does some pretty good damage when its charged up.

3. it depends. sometimes i will start the match off by pulling a banana right away, othertimes i'll pull them out only if the person im playing is really aggressive. having 2 bananas is good but can also be dangerous if you aren't in control. if the enemy gets both, then 1 is probably better.

4. mmm, i think i would instinctively turn around (assuming im facing them before they jump over me) , short hop and do a Fair, but that may not always be the best move. a Dair spike onto the stage might be good followed by a Dsmash. if they are above 100% it'll probably kill them.

5. It can rack up some damage on people who dont DI, and you can also follow up with a Dsmash afterwards, but overall i try to avoid this move. it leaves you too vulnerable once you get into the tail whipping.

good luck

DiabeticFox

Smash Cadet
Hey this is great stuff. I will definitely try that stutter step fsmash next time I play. I just want to point out a little trick you can do with the popguns.

The easiest way to do what you called "B-reversal" is to actually press the direction before you shoot. It's pretty easy for me anyway, because I mained Fox in Melee and that's how he did SH reverse lasers. All you do is hit the reverse direction on the control stick (you don't have to smash it, just move it slightly in that direction), let it go quickly to neutral, and then press B. Voila, he turns around in midair. You can even cancel with the shield immediately after, I checked. It doesn't work on the ground, but a SH shield canceled reverse popgun turns everyone's favorite chimp around pretty fast.

Top Bottom