• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Apporach And Grab?

Marth-A-Thon

Smash Rookie
How do I Approach my Opponent With a FF fair?
Nair, Uair Bair???
Or Dtilt Idk.....

But Besides that How do i Grab Safely Without me Having to worry about being Punished?
\

Forgot to mentin this on the Topic Title but how to Position Dairs /Spikes.

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Premium
How do I Approach my Opponent With a FF fair?
Nair, Uair Bair???
Or Dtilt Idk.....

But Besides that How do i Grab Safely Without me Having to worry about being Punished?
\

Forgot to mentin this on the Topic Title but how to Position Dairs /Spikes.
You can't really grab safely, your safest grab in general though would probably be a retreated pivot grab. That being said, it still won't work if you don't have the read.

In short, nothing in this game is safe and works all the time, that's no exception to any of Marth's moves, so you'll just have to bait a specific reaction and punish with a grab.

ie. Bait an airdodge using fair ledgetrapping and doing a fast fall pivotgrab instead.
Bait a shield by using a SHFF Fair/Nair most of the time, and then mix it up with an empty shorthop into FF Grab
or Dancing Blade->Cancel->Grab etc;

Dairs always have to tipper in order to spike, that means you can't get too close, nor can you be too far, but I hear most people have the greatest ease using the later part of his swing to do it.

Basically though, practice makes perfect, there's no real shortcuts to it of "just do it this way and you'll get it every time".

Edit: Although getting a good read/frametrap and landing a spike off of it feels amazing and looks great I wouldn't advise going for it excessively, or going out of your way to land one. Doing so can put you in a poor position, where as a simple fair, edgehog, or pivotgrab might be all you need to keep them on the ledge for more damage and knockback that might lead to the KO anyway.

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Premium
So Retreat Grab is more Cautious?

But Barely from what ive seen.
It's a little more cautious because it's retreated and you're moving your hurtbox away from attacks.

However, doing so is for the most part only useful when you're reading someone's approach or landing like an opponent trying to airdodge past you, or one that's trying to shield dash his way in.

There's probably other uses of course, but then I'd be going off on a tangent, and it wouldn't be related to the question nearly as much.

Also, I don't main Marth, I only secondary him, what I know is mostly what I've learned from reading around, seeing in videos, and getting tips from other Marth mains so I'd rather not say too much as not all of what I might say beyond that would be 100% accurate.

Top Bottom