• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How the hell do I deal with Squirtle?

Lebowski

Smash Rookie
So my friend just side b's around all the time with Squirtle and I find the only way to stop him is to try to d-tilt him as he slides around which doesn't always work and I have to time it which is kinda tough when he's really close, and whenever I shield he just goes back and forth and waits me out to hit me or he shield stabs me. Am I missing anything in terms of beating Squirtle's side b? I play Ivysaur by the way.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I tend to just respect it and wait for him to be forced out of it then punish. It depends who you play though.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Squirtle is a character that really punishes the player for not knowing how to deal with him.

What character do you play? That might be helpful.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Uhhh lemme turn on PM.

I don't play much Ivysaur but I'm sure that Back Airs might beat SideB for squirtle
But squirtle has the attributes of being fast and small, hes probably got the weave game to combat throwing out bairs

But on the flip side gaining center stage control and walling him out sounds like a legit strat

wait i think ivy has a good enough grab to where you can just grab squirtle out of his side b

Last edited:

Lebowski

Smash Rookie
But squirtle has the attributes of being fast and small, hes probably got the weave game to combat throwing out bairs

But on the flip side gaining center stage control and walling him out sounds like a legit strat

wait i think ivy has a good enough grab to where you can just grab squirtle out of his side b
Yeah I think his grab does go through I just suck at timing it, I'm just seeing the options Ivy has to beat it besides stuff like d-tilt and grabbing cuz Squirt will most likely try to bait it out and I suck, I'm just seeing if there are other options.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
If I can space F-Airs with Ganondorf of all people to stop my friend's Side-B shenanigans, you can probably find a suitable move to space and beat out Side-B. Or Shield Grab. Or just continue with the CC D-Tilt. Squirtle isn't that hard to deal with if he's just spamming Side-B.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Shield it, jump over it till he's getting RDY to stop and punish, platform camp.

GrosMinou

Turbo Scrub
Fair is a good way, but you need to get good at spacing it, kinda like a Bair would do.
If I remember, Razorleaf (a.k.a, sideB) doesnt stop it.

What I like to do when my brother only spam side b with squirtle, is just hang around the edge and wait for him to SD.

(Then he ragequit.)

Juken

Smash Ace
Dodging a side-b spamming Squirtle is easy. If you're Ivysaur, just throw razor leaf, or grab him. Both of those things have a longer range than his shell hitbox. If you feel like you won't react in time, just shield the damage.

Mischief

Smash Cadet
Dodging a side-b spamming Squirtle is easy. If you're Ivysaur, just throw razor leaf, or grab him. Both of those things have a longer range than his shell hitbox. If you feel like you won't react in time, just shield the damage.
Super armor cancels most projectiles. I'm not sure about ivysaur but I don't believe it will stop Squirtle. The additional hard things is that the Squirtle can pretty much side b at any height and turn around if the attack gets shielded or dodged, oh and then turn around again after that. In addition Squirtle has other good options out of his jump, yet the side b comes in at a much faster pace than any of them. To fight squirtle you need to cover both the side b and incoming arials or try to react to them without getting caught in shield and grabbed.

Squirtle is so good.

Last edited:

?.?

Smash Journeyman
I turn around shield and then shield grab, almost always get it.

BC.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
direprophecy
I play this matchup a lot as Olimar, and running away followed by pivot grab usually grabs squirtle out of it. Pivot grabs as Ivy will probably beat it too

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I wish how Project Ms armor system functions was common knowledge, but 1 year after release and people are still incorrectly saying squirtle's weak and medium armored moves are "super armor". Most people I ask also dont know that armor is now knockback based, meaning a characters ability to tank the same hit diminishes the higher percent they are. Perhaps a blog post would be helpful. Also, why wouldn't you ask this is the Squirtle forum? Ask the players that know your character best, not the general community.

Last edited:

Lebowski

Smash Rookie
I wish how Project Ms armor system functions was common knowledge, but 1 year after release and people are still incorrectly saying squirtle's weak and medium armored moves are "super armor". Most people I ask also dont know that armor is now knockback based, meaning a characters ability to tank the same hit diminishes the higher percent they are. Perhaps a blog post would be helpful. Also, why wouldn't you ask this is the Squirtle forum? Ask the players that know your character best, not the general community.
Yeah sorry I'm relatively new to Smashboards but I'll definitely post something on the Squirtle forum. But I still think I got all I need from this post but I will try to post things about characters to the adhering boards next time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom