• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How the Bucket REALLY Works.

What's your favorite new thing in Smash 4 to absorb?

• Link's Bombs

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Samus

Votes: 38 71.7%

• Total voters

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
OK everyone, Oil Panic is literally my favorite move in all of smash brothers.

The technical way it works is that the projectile you absorbed will fill 1, 2 or 3 segments of oil. The number of segments is determined by the damage the move does, and also by how many actual hits you absorbed.

If a projectile does 0-9% and has one hit, it will fill one segment. (tested with Ness's weakest PK Flash: 9%)

If it does 10-19% it will fill two segments. (tested with ROB's max Laser: 10% and Mega Man's fully charged fsmash: 19%)

If it does 20% or higher, it will fill all three segments. (tested with Wii Fit Trainer's fully charged Sun Salutation w/ deep breathing: 20%)

Of course, no matter the damage, one hit will fill one segment, two for two, and three for three. Things that are multi-hits like this include Thoron, the Crash Bomber and Mii Gunner's grenade.

The minimum the bucket can do is 18%. The maximum is a whopping 63%! That's 3 more than Marth's Final Smash! It kills at 0% guaranteed starting at around 52%.

The point of this post is that I never ever want to whiff an Oil Panic. So if you can, please help me with setups and baits into it and post them here so you can join in the fun of dirtying up your opponents! Here's one I already know: dthrow to bucket sub-75%.
Thanks!

PS: if you want to see a complete list of everything G&W can bucket, I posted a thread about it here.

Last edited:

X3I

Smash Apprentice
I have two main setups:

D Throw > Back Jump > Oil Panic
Fair (close to the ground at low percent) > Oil Panic

And that works well.

Last edited:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Now, does the setup with fair cause their shield to break, or does it actually hit them?

Last edited:

X3I

Smash Apprentice
The Fair makes them slide on hit, so it combos

skillskillfiretruck

Smash Journeyman
Fair > bucket
(they may not always be in hit stun though)
One trick is to use it ASAP from getting it, this way the opponent hasn't possibly planned much to avoid it.
You can see this at the start of my 1st montage- http://youtu.be/p8Br1GoYprE

A second way to use it is seen in the second clip in the montage.
if you predict their roll kinda thing. It also helps that Game and Watch's roll is faster than other characters such as Robin which helps if you want to 'shadow/stalk' their roll with your roll.

Jab 1 > bucket
you can do some gimmicks with the jab 1.

SPoitter

Interior Crocodile Aligator
There's a bucket trick. First, press down b in mid air, then after G&W puts his bucket away, double jump then IMMEDIATELY use the bucket, what this will do is make him float very high and is similar to jumping as Luigi.

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
There's a bucket trick. First, press down b in mid air, then after G&W puts his bucket away, double jump then IMMEDIATELY use the bucket, what this will do is make him float very high and is similar to jumping as Luigi.
This is actually really cool. If you do the same thing on the ground, you can sort of float forwards while having bucket out. The float distance is pretty far when done correctly, about 1/5 of FD, this could be a really neat way to approach/set up kills. If only there was some way to cancel the bucket...

Last edited:

SPoitter

This is actually really cool. If you do the same thing on the ground, you can sort of float forwards while having bucket out. The float distance is pretty far when done correctly, about 1/5 of FD, this could be a really neat way to approach/set up kills. If only there was some way to cancel the bucket...
I don't think it's gonna be patched though, it's been in both patches so far.

SPoitter

Also I think it's more suitable as a 4th jump if you mess up your up b positioning but still have a double jump as well. It's useful for set ups and mix ups though

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
This is really good work, I wondered what determined what filled the bucket for each level. Obviously it had to do with damage but I didn't know what each threshold was. One level per 10% makes sense (which also explains why Thunder only fills one level now; it does 8%). The results are different from earlier research but it's possible this was changed in the patch. If anyone still has 1.0.3 or is willing to revert back to it and unlock Game & Watch to check that would be nice.

I plan to use this for my Game & Watch guide (if I ever get around to making it lol).

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I'm literally working on a Bucket video guide as we speak with some applications of Bucket Jumping and some other cool bucket stuff.

I'm just a very busy person so it's taking me a bit.

Bucket Jumping is actually surprisingly useful though.

BBC7

Smash Ace
I can get 1/3 of FD through Jump Cancel Dash -> Bucket Jump.

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
This is really good work, I wondered what determined what filled the bucket for each level. Obviously it had to do with damage but I didn't know what each threshold was. One level per 10% makes sense (which also explains why Thunder only fills one level now; it does 8%). The results are different from earlier research but it's possible this was changed in the patch. If anyone still has 1.0.3 or is willing to revert back to it and unlock Game & Watch to check that would be nice.

I plan to use this for my Game & Watch guide (if I ever get around to making it lol).
I am still on 1.0.3 and just tested this in training mode with Lucario at 148% aura (the point his non charged aura balls start doing 10% instead of 9%). I can confirm that it filled two segments of the bucket. If you need/want me to do a video, I am happy to do so, however, be warned, the quality will be quite bad.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I am still on 1.0.3 and just tested this in training mode with Lucario at 148% aura (the point his non charged aura balls start doing 10% instead of 9%). I can confirm that it filled two segments of the bucket. If you need/want me to do a video, I am happy to do so, however, be warned, the quality will be quite bad.
Thanks! I was actually wondering if the threshold limit was increased from 6% to 10% because that's what the previous research indicated. No video necessary, I'll take your word for it.

Not that it matters too much at this point anyway; changes have already been made. :p

D

Deleted member

Hey guys, I found something interesting about Bucket. Apparently it can't absorb Kirby's sausages anymore like it could in past games. IMO this shouldn't make a big difference in real matches but it's something to take note of.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980

Wow thanks! That'd be an honor! Always happy to help!

Give me a shoutout maybe..?

Check out my G&W Oil Panic reference thread! I updated it to make it actually presentable!!

And yeah, that's wrong. I don't know how he found that.

Thanks for testing! And I also found out that Lucario's Aura cap is 187%. He can't get any stronger past that.

SPoitter

I'm literally working on a Bucket video guide as we speak with some applications of Bucket Jumping and some other cool bucket stuff.

I'm just a very busy person so it's taking me a bit.

Bucket Jumping is actually surprisingly useful though.
Am I the first person that discovered bucket jumping though? If so then this'll be the highest point of my Smash career tbh

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Well, I've actually been bucket jumping since the first day of the japanese release on 3DS

I was big on bucket stalling in Brawl so when this new game came out I immediately played with the bucket one night to see what I could do with it.

X3I

Smash Apprentice
Well, it's not a really useful AT... Or maybe I use it badly?
To me, it's just funny.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
It's actually useful.

It can be used similarly to bucket stalling and can legitimately save your ass/aid you in mixing up your recovery and landing.

Today I won a MM because someone tried to edgeguard me and I bucket jumped offstage and it threw them off and I got an Up-b stagespike

It's not like crucial to using the character but it's actually viable to use.

SPoitter

Bucket Jumping can be either useless or useful, tbh it's all dependent on the matchup and the situation. Against some characters like Shulk it's better to not use this for obvious reason

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Not of that particular situation but being able to hang off stage for as long as we do with as good a recovery is really useful and definitely viable

It's actually useful against shulk. Jump shulk is very powerful when you're off stage he can cover most recoveries high and low and offstage fair/nair you. With GW I've actually used this to recover so high I was able to escape this situation completely. A lot of characters don't have this luxury.

I have a video of me doing it to Shulk, I may get the opportunity to upload it but i'm swamped right now trying to pack for the holidays, buying stuff for a funeral, seeing some friends who are in town, buying xmas gifts, and cleaning my apt before i leave ugh

I am really trying to upload videos though it's hard trying to push my youtube channel when I have so many things to always do

I have most of the vids recorded i just gotta chop em up and upload them through someone else's comp because mine is dumb and wont upload youtube vids. I think it's a windows 8 thing =/

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Its nice to see some people take gnw serious. Im curious though how low the d-tilt hits. Wondering if its possible with the lingering hit box to beat out the 1 frame of vulnerability people have when grabbing the ledge.

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Its nice to see some people take gnw serious. Im curious though how low the d-tilt hits. Wondering if its possible with the lingering hit box to beat out the 1 frame of vulnerability people have when grabbing the ledge.
Wow. Now I wish that he keeps the end lag but the manhole stays out there lingering for the 40~ frames :p

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Wow. Now I wish that he keeps the end lag but the manhole stays out there lingering for the 40~ frames :p
Honestly the lingering wind box is so useful for set ups. Ive been catching a lot of people trying to either ledge camp or come at me with arials and it just pops them into a perfect spot to land a free upsmash, and even if they try to challenge it they cant because of the 22 frames of invincibility.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Can bucket jumping and the bucket wavedash be used to spill the oil? Or just when it's empty?

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Yeah

But PLEASE don't call it the bucket wavedash, it sounds really bad

it doesn't need a name

bucket jump/hop for the double jump thing is fine though

FrameImperfect

Smash Cadet
NNID
3x3=?
3DS FC
0044-2904-0617
But PLEASE don't call it the bucket wavedash, it sounds really bad
I only called it that in the video cause it looked like G&W is wavelanding/wavedashing and I thought it was funny at the time.

And no, the momentum stopping properties of Bucket are not there if you use it while its full, but it can be done after a down throw at 40-80% to make the bucket come out higher and catch opponents out of the air.

Last edited:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Oh my bad

and yeah I understand, it just makes the people in our community look really bad calling and comparing everything to melee techniques (especially when this one isn't really comparable to anything in melee at all)

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Can anyone confirm this? I don't have footage, but while playing with my friends the other day it looked like I couldn't be hit during the absorption of something. Mr. Game and Watch was flashing white.

IS HE INVINCIBLE???!!!!!!111

Top Bottom