• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS How Smash 3DS Can Have a Long Lifespan

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
Seems pretty obvious to me. Custom moves. Think about it.

With the WiiU, everybody would need to customize their characters before games are played in each system they go to. This is a major inconvenience that'll just make things last longer, and they might be banned anyways.

But the 3DS is bring your own DS. Your customizations will already be saved on it. No time, just pick it up and go. If the WiiU version doesn't have custom moves approved for tournaments or the like, making them allowed for the 3DS will completely change the game. Everybody playing 3DS competitively will have full customization support, and you need to adapt on the fly to your opponents customizations, putting more strategy into the pregame than ever before.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I agree, customs will be awesome. As argued elsewhere, they'll likely result in a better balanced cast on average, and in some cases are just plain cool.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I agree, customs will be awesome. As argued elsewhere, they'll likely result in a better balanced cast on average, and in some cases are just plain cool.
Yeah, but Amiibo's will probably be banned from tournaments.
From fighting, obviously, but I don't see any reason they wouldn't be allowed for quick transfer of customs (if they function that way). Would save time that would otherwise have to be spent tweaking each player's custom lineup. i.e. instead of bringing your 3DS with customizations, bring your controller and your favorite Amiibo or two.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535

From fighting, obviously, but I don't see any reason they wouldn't be allowed for quick transfer of customs (if they function that way). Would save time that would otherwise have to be spent tweaking each player's custom lineup. i.e. instead of bringing your 3DS with customizations, bring your controller and your favorite Amiibo or two.
Hmm, good point.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Hmm, good point.
Though of course, it's possible that it could take almost as long even using an Amiibo, so that point could be irrelevant as well. Even if you can't have people bring their preferred playstyles, having customs is likely to give some characters more options, and may result in certain move lineups becoming standard (for instance, running Jigglypuff with Hyper Voice instead of Sing). While not as flexible as customs, it still brings more overall utility and balance to some characters.

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
It's not likely that Amiibos will be useable in tournaments

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
You make some interesting points, but I wouldn't worry about the 3DS version's lifespan yet. This game will have a long lifespan as long as the mechanics are solid enough to keep people interested on playing it for years. Of course, as soon as the Wii U version is released, a certain amount of people will abandon the 3DS ship, but at the end of the day, the 3DS install base still is absurdly bigger than the Wii U install base, so there will always be people to play the 3DS version with.

I am not sure how viable the 3DS version will be for (local) tournaments... No, actually, IMO, the Wii U version is more suited for local tournaments, but as far as online tournaments are concerned, the 3DS version will most definitely have its own competitive scene.

north-note

Smash Cadet
It's very convenience that you can directly transfer customization from 3ds to Wii U and that you can also use them as a controller if you don't have one, heck I'll even use 3ds as a controller too. and on the amiibo side, aside from being a AI buddy, i wonder if it can store customization configuration and can be played directly from a controller, if it can you can use them in play of 3ds, if it can't we could just have the tournament for the amiibo themselve and see who have the best amiibo!

Bortverde

Smash Cadet
Transfer Wii U customizations to 3ds, take it with yourself and transfer to the championship Wii U

Top Bottom