• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How should I be edgeguarding with Ike?

Arrei

Smash Lord
If you can reach them, the best option is usually Uair - the disjoint keeps you safe from certain downward attacks, the hitbox is reasonably wide, and it lasts long enough that you can hit your opponent out of an airdodge if you time it right and you can still fastfall to catch them with the last frames if they slip past you.

If they're still in tumble as they near the ground in an attempt to tech their landing, you can chase them with Quick Draw if they're too far or bait an airdodge close to the ground with an Usmash charged for a moment to punish the dodge. If they try to cover their landing with an aerial like Sheiks or Marios tend to do, you'll probably be better off shielding but you can also try to flank your opponent by dashing underneath and let out an Usmash if you're feeling gutsy. Ike's crouch during his Usmash makes him go lower than most people trying to challenge him with a side aerial will aim for so there's a good chance they'll whiff. Don't try that against anyone who covers their landing with a lingering hitbox, though.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
USmash sounds good, especially since we use it sparingly as it is. Anyway, for people getting back from the ledge, I found a little formula that works.

When you knock someone off the ledge and they're coming back, stand near the edge and put your shield up when they snap.

-If you're waiting for them to come up neutral, grab and FThrow
-If you're waiting for a roll, short-hop backwards into Nair.
-If you're waiting for a jump, nair.
-If you choose to not shield or use it as a punish waiting for an attack, powershield when they do attack and FTilt or DTilt into Fair/Nair.

Even with Nair's active frames, getting someone who's getting up neutral is risky. I find grabs safer and still damaging. I see some people coming to punish with Nair and Fair, but it can leave you open.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I want to keep this topic alive. I was about to make another one, but I remembered this is here. Let me add a few more that's worked so far.

MOST of the time, when someone edgeguards, I stay at the ledge. If they come up neutral, I grab them. Depending on their damage, I either UThrow into a combo or Fthrow them back off stage. THIS is where I consider gimping or stage-spiking them with a walk-off Fair or Bair.

At 90% or above, if I nab them, I'll UThrow, turn around, and jump. If they air-dodge, that's an instant Bair. If they jump, they'll either go to the left, where they're forced to recover again, or to the right, where I make an attempt to juggle them. Right now, I'm trying to consider as many of Ike's stage control options as I can.

Top Bottom