• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How much does the removal of chaingrabs and edgehogging change the game?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Besides the aura effect for damged characters gaining ko power, those two factors seem to be the biggest changes but just how much do they change up the game? What characters are helped and/or hurt the worst by them?

I know heavy characters in particular benefit from both of them and fast fallers from the chaingrab removal while Dedede now has to use things other than his down throw to do anything but what else is there?

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
The lack of edgehogging naturally improves characters with good recovery, because they have more options for edgeguarding.

Edgeguarding with characters like Little Mac and Link is a lot more difficult, whereas Shiek and Villager are monsters in this area; they are able to jump right out and meet their opponent in mid-air with minimal risk. Little Mac, on the other hand is usually better off waiting for his opponent to get back to the platform before making another attempt (I may be wrong on this, but I haven't found many viable edgeguarding opportunities for Little Mac).

Aside from that, I think the new ledge mechanics just make the game a whole lot more interesting. Edgehogging was comparatively simple to execute, the new edge mechanics feel like they add a totally new element to the game that wasn't previously realised. I expect to see a lot of very impressive high-risk aerial jousting in the years to come.

As for chain grabs... I always thought they were kinda dumb, I'm glad they're out. There are plenty of inventive and imaginative new combos in this game, so chain grabs aren't so relevant.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder... If someone hacked Brawl so that it was exactly the same bar the loss of Chain-grabs how would the Ice Climbers cope?

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Chaingrabbing not being there anymore is, IMO, a good thing. Some chaingrabs were reasonable, but ones like Ice Climbers, King Dedede etc. had really took the biscuit. As it stands, a lot of characters can do DThrow into some form of guaranteed follow-up for 15-20% damage anyway, which is a good alternative.

As for edgehogging... it took a while to get used to, but now I'm glad that's gone too. It indirectly buffs a lot of characters with predictable recoveries, and encourages more offensive edgeguarding.

Top Bottom