• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How much do you play?

Uffe

Smash Hero
I mean seriously, guys. I've been playing as Ness since Brawl came out, learned a few new tricks around here and then suddenly without any effort from the other guy I get my *** handed to me. I've kind of had about enough of it, too. Do you guys use patterns or something? Because when I'm playing I am so predictable, even with mind games involved. It's so depressing. So do you use a method or do you play on a daily basis? What's the trick?

parvus

Smash Apprentice
i'm not very good either, but i play with my bro (he plays as kirby), so i hav plenty of practice playing against a human.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I'm just hoping this is a phase for me. >< I need a new controller as well. That might be just one of the many reasons. It's not that I suck at this game. It's just I can't seem to progress into something more. I know I'm not the best, but I have done better. :urg:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I play with a lot of shuffles, double shuffles, aerial rises, and footstools. PKT mindgames of course, but I use a lot of floorblasting along with that. I think it's just practice. I just play a lot.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I don't play all too much because I can only play others via WiFi, considering I don't have anyone to play the game with in real life besides my little brother, and he's very predictable and average at best, so it's not really fun at all. I'm sure a lot of people on my campus had Brawl, and I've played with others like... once or twice, but I don't have anyone to seriously 1 vs. 1 against, and this makes me feel as if I've reached my peak with my characters. My only chance to expand that stems from online play, and we know how that goes...

Also, don't feel bad at all. You could just be having a bit of downtime. It happens to pretty much everyone and there's not too much one can do to prevent it unless they played Brawl all day long, every single day.

swypa101

Smash Apprentice
ive been playin ness like since after the first week i got brawl

i stopped then because i started using too much lucario and fox

so i decided to take someone out and i stopped playin fox

then recently i started using shiek but ness is still there

NKCell

Smash Cadet
I've been playing Ness since I've had Brawl. For the longest while Ness was not my best character, but recently I just wipe the floor with him. I have by no means mastered the character (my PKT abilities are subpar at best) but my shuffles, grabs and mindgames have vastly improved. Sounds like you need to mix things up. Try playing with moves that you wouldn't normally use (PK Flash for edge guarding or to throw off your opponent's approach or if you would normally fair, try u-air juggling instead). You may find that you don't make too many changes to your play style but learning the properties of all his moves will help to break the predictability of your playing.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I play with a lot of shuffles, double shuffles, aerial rises, and footstools. PKT mindgames of course, but I use a lot of floorblasting along with that. I think it's just practice. I just play a lot.
I have a hard time pulling off full aerial rises. Usually when I do this I don't really rise, I do more of electrocuting twice without having them really move up in the air with me. XD I do the shuffles, too. But then when I try these they end up getting blocked. Can you footstool on shields?

I don't play all too much because I can only play others via WiFi, considering I don't have anyone to play the game with in real life besides my little brother, and he's very predictable and average at best, so it's not really fun at all. I'm sure a lot of people on my campus had Brawl, and I've played with others like... once or twice, but I don't have anyone to seriously 1 vs. 1 against, and this makes me feel as if I've reached my peak with my characters. My only chance to expand that stems from online play, and we know how that goes...

Also, don't feel bad at all. You could just be having a bit of downtime. It happens to pretty much everyone and there's not too much one can do to prevent it unless they played Brawl all day long, every single day.
The thing is is that I want to fight people and not CPU's. They don't punish you like an actual person would do. I'm going to avoid using Ness for awhile and study the mechanics of all the characters just so I know more about them and so that I can see what they're going to try and pull. Yesterday I had a new Lucas player try to pull the mind games I used on him on me. It didn't happen.

ive been playin ness like since after the first week i got brawl

i stopped then because i started using too much lucario and fox

so i decided to take someone out and i stopped playin fox

then recently i started using shiek but ness is still there
I'm not going to give up on Ness. Ever. I play Ike better than Ness and I hardly even play as Ike. It's like I might as well main him instead, but it's not worth it. Ike feels like a character who is effortless. I got owned by my friends C. Falcon yesterday when I was Ness. I owned him back TWICE with Ike and trust me, he plays an awesome C. Falcon. He's the reason I fear C. Falcon a bit now. I never did when I heard he was nerfed, but he can land Falcon Punches and that Knee! I said it before and I'll say it again. I couldn't care less if I were the best Ike player in the world, I would never main him over Ness. And sadly I might be the best Ike player out there because I've defeated characters faster than me and the ones who could use projectile i.e. Ness, Lucas, Samus, Pit, Fox, Falco and Wolf. Again he's just not worth the effort.

I've been playing Ness since I've had Brawl. For the longest while Ness was not my best character, but recently I just wipe the floor with him. I have by no means mastered the character (my PKT abilities are subpar at best) but my shuffles, grabs and mindgames have vastly improved. Sounds like you need to mix things up. Try playing with moves that you wouldn't normally use (PK Flash for edge guarding or to throw off your opponent's approach or if you would normally fair, try u-air juggling instead). You may find that you don't make too many changes to your play style but learning the properties of all his moves will help to break the predictability of your playing.
Sounds like a plan. And that PK Flash owned many people last night. A new Lucas player was fighting me yesterday and he got Flashed by Ness. :laugh: I did the same thing TWICE on Snake. I'm going to try and make some patterns.

NKCell

Smash Cadet
I'm not going to give up on Ness. Ever. I play Ike better than Ness and I hardly even play as Ike. It's like I might as well main him instead, but it's not worth it. Ike feels like a character who is effortless. I got owned by my friends C. Falcon yesterday when I was Ness. I owned him back TWICE with Ike and trust me... And sadly I might be the best Ike player out there because I've defeated characters faster than me and the ones who could use projectile i.e. Ness, Lucas, Samus, Pit, Fox, Falco and Wolf. Again he's just not worth the effort.
Yeah, this was the exact same situation I was in a month and a half ago. I don't even know what happened but suddenly I hit a wall with Ike and stopped winning with him. I kept with my training with Ness and soon he far exceeded the level of play I was at with Ike. I find Ike is extremely difficult to play as once you reach higher levels of play (or at least face someone you're very familiar with) since he is just too predictable. Most of his moveset is just too laggy and not very useful in a match.

Sounds like a plan. And that PK Flash owned many people last night. A new Lucas player was fighting me yesterday and he got Flashed by Ness. :laugh: I did the same thing TWICE on Snake. I'm going to try and make some patterns.
Hah hah, glad to hear it! Playing people is 100x better than the CPU, and infinitely more rewarding.

Uffe

Smash Hero
MMM! Yes! If you recall me talking about how hard it was for me to defeat the Ice Climbers, I am happy to announce that I defeated them! The same friend, too! I just want to thank the ones back in the IC topic for lending me some tips and I wanted to thank you guys in this topic for giving me ideas of trying to be a better player and not quiting. ;_; I broke up that predictable field and showed the IC's whose boss! :'D I also took your advice, NKCell for stopping myself from using PKT while my opponent was in mid air and using Ness' uair instead.

Haha! I also split the IC's apart and I bet my friend got scared. XD Nana was on the left side and I was beating her up instead of the actual threat. XD' But I won overall. C:

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
The best thing for you is to be able to play humans who are better than you. Unlucky for me, Im stuck playing my brother and friends who well...stink. One of my friends beats me sometimes but its only cause hes Marth and I still stick with Ness vs his Marth xD.

Anyway its actually smart to do what you did with Ice Climbers, split them up then go for Nana xD thats what I do. PK Fire is really good against them, and they really arnt that hard to beat (unless they chain grab you) Plus Blizzard gives you lots of health, especially if they double it up on you.

Finally to help be unpredictible be a little sparing with you pk fires and thunders. I used to just throw them out at random times hoping they would hit sometimes, and it was actually kinda hard to stop that. Pk thunder mindgames work good, and flooorblasting is helpful too to switch things up.If you having trouble with mind games, try tailing them a bit more. also be sure to always move the PK thunder like a snake, and not just aim straight at them (unless you expect them to dodge and want to punish their dodge with a PKT2, or something like that.Sorry if you know this stuff already.) Finally (unless your playing a Ness, Lucas, or G&W) throw out a PK Flash sometimes. Not too often, maybe just once or twice. It actually works sometimes xD

of course, im not the best ness player or anything, these are just some tips. Develop your own PK Style!

By the way, this is a really weird coincidence but I played Ike and now play Ness as well! Thats really weird cause its similar with a lot of ness mainers xD

Uffe

Smash Hero
Way to go Uffe!
Glad we were able to help. Keep up the good work and show off Ness' PK Powah!
PK Fiyah! XD

The best thing for you is to be able to play humans who are better than you. Unlucky for me, Im stuck playing my brother and friends who well...stink. One of my friends beats me sometimes but its only cause hes Marth and I still stick with Ness vs his Marth xD.

Anyway its actually smart to do what you did with Ice Climbers, split them up then go for Nana xD thats what I do. PK Fire is really good against them, and they really arnt that hard to beat (unless they chain grab you) Plus Blizzard gives you lots of health, especially if they double it up on you.

Finally to help be unpredictible be a little sparing with you pk fires and thunders. I used to just throw them out at random times hoping they would hit sometimes, and it was actually kinda hard to stop that. Pk thunder mindgames work good, and flooorblasting is helpful too to switch things up.If you having trouble with mind games, try tailing them a bit more. also be sure to always move the PK thunder like a snake, and not just aim straight at them (unless you expect them to dodge and want to punish their dodge with a PKT2, or something like that.Sorry if you know this stuff already.) Finally (unless your playing a Ness, Lucas, or G&W) throw out a PK Flash sometimes. Not too often, maybe just once or twice. It actually works sometimes xD

of course, im not the best ness player or anything, these are just some tips. Develop your own PK Style!

By the way, this is a really weird coincidence but I played Ike and now play Ness as well! Thats really weird cause its similar with a lot of ness mainers xD
Floorblasting? I think I know what that is, but I'm not totally sure. I read up on it in EB's topic. It's where you blast at the ground and Ness drags on with the PKT2, right? Also, I only used my PKF when my friend used his ice blocks. They bounced back. Eventually he stopped that because I kept pushing them back and so I guess he thought it was useless to continue. And I didn't know Ness' PSIM could absorb the IC's flurry. O_o And yeah, it's a great reminder about the PKT mindgames. I snake them around usually and it pisses people off. Sometimes I just let it fly at them and they'll get hit because they think I'm going to move it around. XD

I also made it go behind the opponent because they think that it's safe to let go of the shield and then ZAP! 8%. :D The PKT thing doesn't bother me if I'm using them as mindgames or not. I've seen other players who fight me try and pull that stunt on me. It never works because I'm the one who showed them in the first place. :laugh: Actually EB360 showed me the usefulness behind the PKT mindgames. Yesterday I was fighting this guy who I know was hating me because I kept winning with Ness. He played as R.O.B. and kept dodging, spacing himself. I said, "Okay. If that's all you're going to do, then I'm going to pester you." I started using PKT on him over and over again. He'd try to blast me with his thruster but the PKT kept canceling it out or something.

Anyway long story short I ended up PKT2 right into him. Not only did I make PKT predictable, but I made it to the point where he wasn't ever expecting a PKT2. I ended up three stocking him. The next round he put items on and I still won. He was playing as Pikachu and we were on Spear Pillar. He was trying to use electric attacks on me along with items. The ending was so **** epic, though! XD I don't use items, but if they're there then I'm going to use them. We were on the lower level and he broke open a crate using a Deku Nut and out came THREE Soccer Balls. I tapped A, A, A on one Socer Ball and that one hit the other two and BAM! Pikachu went flying! It was so awesome I started to laugh out loud! :laugh: <_< I don't know why I'm sharing this story.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Playing more doesn't help. Chudat proves that. He NEVER plays cept for tournaments, and he ***** in Melee. You just gotta go to tournaments, fighting better people is the best way to get better hands down.

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
Ironically, I think my best advice would be to play other characters more in-def and than go back to Ness. Ness is a ridiculously unique aerial character, and you often won't get the feel for him without having a feel for how others work in the air.

It took me awhile of using Lucas, MK, and DK to really get the hang of what Ness is capable of.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
Floorblasting? I think I know what that is, but I'm not totally sure. I read up on it in EB's topic. It's where you blast at the ground and Ness drags on with the PKT2, right? Also, I only used my PKF when my friend used his ice blocks.
Funny story. Items are kinda fun when Ive got my noob friends over xD

Anyway,PKT is great, and you just got him bad with mindgames. Anyway, a little more advice (xD) Is Floorblasting is(I think) when you miss a PKT and your opponents gonna punish you, or you cant quite PKT2 yourself and make it work, then you hit ness right ont he head and he`ll go to the ground, helpless. When your opponent comes over to hit you, press A and youll get up and strike, plus you get some invincibilty frames. Mostly useful for MINDGAMES, SON!

And try to use PK fire a bit more. Its got a great effect if you can hit them.

Glad you conquered the IceClimbers. Next time try to absorb their Down B. Its like 40% (really.)

Oh yeah hints vs ROB: A good one can eb tough. When he shoots a top at you and its ont he ground, hit it with a baseball bat. Then its yours and you can chuck it at him. Absorb the laser (if you can) And be careful of his side B. It can reflect PK Fire ,PK thunder, etc. (I didnt know this and I fought a good ROB player and almost lost.)

Top Bottom