• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many Representve characters should each game have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trev94

Smash Journeyman
The title says it all. What do you think is the right number? Im would be 5 or 6 TOPs. Because i think that gives just the right amont of characters before things start to get out of hand.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
It depends on how important a sceries was to Nintendo or it's fans... as well as how many they can make without just cloaning people... I don't want new F-Zero characters if they are all clones of Captain Falcon -.- .... But I'd appreciate more people... No more than maybe 4-5, depending on how they style the screen, and the characters must be really important... no generic weak person, THEY HAVE TO BE FROM NINTENDO! And they have to have been playable in 1 game that got really popular... atleast in my oppinion...

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
It shouldn't work that way.

More popular the series = More characters.
So Mario gets the most.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
More popular the series = More characters.
So Mario gets the most.
You forgot the Zelda + Pokemon series as well because they too are popular. They've got the most characters in their corresponding series as well. IF you are including both Yoshi and Wario into the Mario series, (Although brawl puts both of them into their own series.) the Pokemon series still ties with them for the most characters in the game to choose from because there are 6 different playable Pokemon in this game along with 6 different Mario series characters to choose from as well.

trev94

Smash Journeyman
if the game is popular then i think it should get more characters.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Metroid does have plenty of characters. Get Robert the **** out of there, maybe 11 people had him 15 years ago.

Uhhh, other than that, I'd like to see more Donkey Kong characters. K. Rool needs to be there.

Screw Geno.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Don't be stupid, you could not add Ridley in a Smash game. They'd have to shrink his actual size, did you see how big he was as a boss? Just... no.

Kraig > Ridley.

Bladesage

Smash Rookie
1)depends on the max (obviously)
2)depends on the series. not all series should get the same representation. I dont think we want as many characters from fire emblem as we do have with pokemon. Overrepresentation usually results in 1 or 2 good ones and the other ones being thrown together

IMO id like 3-4 of each series

SpookyGhost

Smash Cadet
Don't be stupid, you could not add Ridley in a Smash game. They'd have to shrink his actual size, did you see how big he was as a boss? Just... no.

Kraig > Ridley.
They made Olimar super big compared to his game.

Bladesage

Smash Rookie
lol, so true

they mess around with sizes all the time

like thier stupidness to chop off part of marth's sword O_O

-Blade

Guglio

Smash Apprentice
Big franchises get 4 (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon)
Important-but-not-as-big franchises get 3 (Metroid, Kirby, Star Fox apparently)
Specialty franchises get 2 (Fire Emblem, maybe F-Zero)
Then a slew of 1-ofs.
And some third party.

Icy-Flood

Smash Cadet
Well lets Look at the cast shall we

Mario Series: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, & Bowser 5

Zelda Series: Link, Zelda, Shiek, Gannondorf, & Toonk Link 5

Star Fox Series: Star Fox, Star Wolf, & Falco 3

Donkey Kong Series: DK, Diddy Kong 2

Earthbound/Mother Series: Ness & Lucas 2

Fire Emblem Series: Marth & Ike 2

Kirby Series: Kirby, Meta Knight & Dee Dee Dee

Poke'Mon Series: Pikachu, Lucario, JigglyPuff & Poke'mon Trainer

All the rest Samus (Zero Suit Samus), Olimar, R.O.B., Solid Snake, Mr. Game&Watch, Wario

Yeahhhh by looking at it they should at leasts have 4-5 characters for every game 2-3 just
isnt enough, but then again we'd have ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of characters
on Brawl im talkin 44-56 characters

Kief

Smash Ace
yeah olimar is the size of a quarter in pikmin. im sure they could shrink ridley a bit. (please nobody make me get into the math of it :O)

bladesage: if marth's sword was any longer, he'd be more broken than meta knight.

its arguable that the zelda series has been more popular than the mario series. in fact i know that statistically, it was on N64. dunno about the others. they dont need more characters though, just another stage. should have as many stages as characters IMO.

icy-flood: yoshi is grouped into his own series. and fyi, samus and zss are both from the metroid series. i thought that one would be easy to figure out >.>

trev94

Smash Journeyman

Kraig > Ridley.
In mario games boswer is like 10,000 differint sizes

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
As many characters as they can have that are good.

If a series has 20 viable awesome characters, let it be so.

I don't like putting limits on what might be awesome.

I really don't care what's deserving or not.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Depends on the franchise. As of right now, Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon deserve the most, some like DK and Kirby definately deserve three, long standing franchises like Mother and F-Zero deserve at least two, while smaller/one hit wonder/third party franchises deserve one like Kid Icarus.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
I don't think there should be a set number, such as "three per series". Instead there should be a few factors determining the numbers from each series, mainly the influence each character has. For examle: Donkey Kong. I can see DK and Diddy--two seems like an alright number, and the Mario characters, they all had a pretty large influence. But some I think are also too emphasized such as Pokemon, or not enough like Metroid.
But a huge factor in this is also opinion, so there may not be a perfect answer to this.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
In mario games boswer is like 10,000 differint sizes
He's always been about 1 and a half times the size of Mario in his games.
And character sizes change on different games, since consoles have different games.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't think there should be a set number, such as "three per series". Instead there should be a few factors determining the numbers from each series, mainly the influence each character has. For examle: Donkey Kong. I can see DK and Diddy--two seems like an alright number, and the Mario characters, they all had a pretty large influence. But some I think are also too emphasized such as Pokemon, or not enough like Metroid.
But a huge factor in this is also opinion, so there may not be a perfect answer to this.
What's wrong with K. Rool?

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
What's wrong with K. Rool?
I have to agree. Without Donkey Kong, none of the great Nintendo games would exist.
So why not add K. Rool? DK series is one of Nintendo's biggest.

3 characters per franchise is a terrible idea, good luck finding 3 for ROB's important games. Oh, and that would mean they'd have to get rid of some of the Mario characters. Not a good idea.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
He's always been about 1 and a half times the size of Mario in his games.
And character sizes change on different games, since consoles have different games.
http://www.gamesradar.com/f/the-ever-changing-sizes-of-mario-and-bowser/a-20081008112917635057

He was huge in Sunshine. (Though the faraway camera made it seem like not that big of a deal, I'd like to see Mario stand at Sunshine Bowser's feet like in Mario 64)

But come on, Straked, I'm sure you've heard counterarguments to the "size" thing. Olimar changed size to be in Brawl, and I'm sure it would be fine to shrink Ridley down to around Bowser's size.

Also, Calvin and Hobbes is awesome.

The Drifter

Smash Journeyman
I say on a normal case there should be 3 (Hero, antagonist, sidekick) but then you can also have 4 characters (Hero, antagonist, sidekick, love interest) However, if you were dealing a huge popularity such as Pokemon you could have 5 characters, (Hero, Antagonist, sidekick, love interest, ???) The 5th character should be one of the following

Antagonist's sidekick and/or secondary villian
Iconic character (IE: Lucario for Pokemon)
WTF character (IE: If Tingle EVER became and LoZ rep, which I hope never happens)

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I would like to see another F-Zero character, and Chunky from DK Series.

And I hope they don't keep bringing back retro charaters, unless that happens to be Geno

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
*Shrugs* I didn't say anything was wrong with him. I just easily saw DK and Diddy, which seemed like an alright number to me. But I haven't played too many DK games, so that's my bias.
You should. Donkey Kong Country games are awesome. lol

And yeah, I'm definitely for K. Rool being in the next Smash. I don't know about other Kongs though. Maybe Dixie, since she would be an obvious next choice (and she'd have a nice recovery move) Perhaps some of the other ones like Cranky or Funky could appear as Assist Trophies.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
The more popular the series, the more characters.

Immortal (5-6):
Mario
Pokeymanz
Zelda

Popular (2-4):
Star Fox
Metroid
Donkey Kong
Kirby
Fire Emblem

Well-known (1):
Everything else

3rd Party (1):
Everything else else

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I know they could edit his size, but keep in mind, I'm biased because I liked other characters in the Metroid series.

Bowser took steroids.

And Calvin and Hobbes is awesome, thanks for saying so. ^^

And Donkey Kong was one of those games they ruined. If Rare had continued to make he DK games, and they didn't focus on abusing the Wii's revolutionary motion controls, they'd be great. It's not as simple as sidescrolling or platformers.

And I seriously cannot stress how important Donkey Kong is. None of us would be on this site if it wasn't for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom