• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many people still play Metaknight?

Tyrael64

Smash Journeyman
In competitive Smash, when there's often money on the line, there's no such thing as a "shameful" or "dishonorable" character. You do what you have to to win. Calling something "dishonorable" is only a small step away from "cheap", which is the realm of newbies (I hesitate to use the word "scrubs"since I feel it's arrogant).

In competition, you do whatever you have to in order to increase your odds of winning. If this means using Meta Knight, so be it.

...and ironically, I'm a Lucario main. Heh. I guess it's because I'm not a huge tournament-goer.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
^ lucario is one of the best characters in the game

most of the people in this thread must have never attended any legitimate tournament. No one seriously bans MK or thinks he's ban-worthy except scrubs
get out of your cave and play against more people.

we over here in the real world know how to fight against metaknight
sure he's overpowered, but every game has overpowered characters, he's not unbeatable and that's that. this is coming from a guy who spend months complaining about metaknight. then one day i decided to stop complaining and get better,
so

stop complaining and get better
period

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
♥This was a very entertaining read! ^__^

♥Now for some input.

♥Keta is a bad troll who should be banned! ^__^

♥.......there's nothing really much else to be said. Everything need to be stated already was. ;)

JacobWins

Smash Journeyman
By choosing Meta knight in a tournament Vs. anyone else with any other character, you already have a large advantage.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I've never played him. Since the getgo, he's never appealed to me.

XCWarrior

Smash Apprentice
Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit, Zack and Wiki, SMR
I guess I don't think much of it, but I use Metaknight still. He's not my main by any means, but he's fun to use. Granted I don't play tourneys, but I would think by now people would have figured out a strategy toward beating him. This discussion has been going on a long time now, that's for sure.

KillaFrmNY

Smash Ace
period
Is this guy serious? Im tired of hearing this retarted response over and over, you people who main high tiers dont seem to get it at all, this game is so imbalanced that even if i get extremely good with Link, and mediocre MK would still probably give me a run for my money or maybe even beat me. Why dou you main a low tier and see how you think of this

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Is this guy serious? Im tired of hearing this retarted response over and over, you people who main high tiers dont seem to get it at all, this game is so imbalanced that even if i get extremely good with Link, and mediocre MK would still probably give me a run for my money or maybe even beat me. Why dou you main a low tier and see how you think of this
Because that would actually take some effort...

In other news, BOTH of my mains are currently top tier - though I picked them before the game was even released anyway...

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The ****?

Anyone who has any knowledge of how Smash Bros. works can just pick up MK and use him. He's easy like the really horny drunk girl at the bar.
The degree to which Meta Knight is easy to use is really overblown. For my part, I found Mr. Game & Watch much easier and more intuitive (not to say I never got past the initially cool stuff with him, but he was definitely easier starting out than Meta Knight). Maybe the fact that I mained Jigglypuff in melee distorts things, but of the Kirby characters I find Kirby much more natural and easy to win with than Meta Knight (I don't really play either). Meta Knight's garbage aerial mobility is ridiculously obnoxious, and the correct ways to utilize several of his attacks are not obvious (there's a ton of subtlety to using his forward tilt correctly, among other things). If you aren't switching from Pit, odds are you are going to need some practice to use gliding correctly. Sure he has a lot of big strengths that make him really good, but I don't think he's particularly easy to use. I guess he's not someone that most players are going to find unnatural at first (like Snake or the Ice Climbers), but I wouldn't place him among the game's easiest characters to use at all.

The character who is probably all around easiest to pick up and be able to beat average players is Pit; all you really have to realize is that you don't approach. That's not to say that Pit players can't be skillful, but if you're just starting, he probably has the highest initial return if you start off understanding how smash works.

Minwu

Smash Journeyman
Granted I don't play tourneys, but I would think by now people would have figured out a strategy toward beating him.

Erm, outskill by a landslide? Some characters shut out some of his options, but then MK has so many other options. Ness might outprioritize him in the air, but MK can combo SO MANY THINGS from a ground release, and MK has the best gimping game while Ness has a predictable, stoppable recovery.

KillaFrmNY

Smash Ace
Imagine if all top tiers have been banned temporaily. See how much more balance and how much better low tier characters would do at tourneys. The results would be incredible.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
I've done some serious thinking on this whole metaknight issue, and whether you are pro-ban or anti-ban almost doesn't matter at this point. Metaknight has been so publicly defaced that no one can honestly say that they think metaknight is an honorable character. As such, wouldn't any metaknight player be ashamed to show up at a tournament under the metaknight name? Such a player suffers the likelihood of being labeled cheap and without smash skill. Winning a tournament as metaknight doesn't really prove anything. I myself main lucas, and am pro-ban. To all metaknight players out there, could you provide your input as to what it's like being a metaknight player in the current environment?
ppl will still play to win money. and saying that it takes no skill to win a tourney is a very exagerated statement. only good mk's are ****. others can be beaten with a little thought and skill of ur own. but yeah, the label is there tho, but other decent smashers shud recognise that it is not true.
at least the more experienced ones shud recognise skill beyond cheapness.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
^ lucario is one of the best characters in the game

most of the people in this thread must have never attended any legitimate tournament. No one seriously bans MK or thinks he's ban-worthy except scrubs
get out of your cave and play against more people.

we over here in the real world know how to fight against metaknight
sure he's overpowered, but every game has overpowered characters, he's not unbeatable and that's that. this is coming from a guy who spend months complaining about metaknight. then one day i decided to stop complaining and get better,
so

period
Azen and chilin think MK should be banned.
That disproves your entire argument.

Akiak

Smash Ace
Well i'm asking YOU what YOU feel like being a pro-ban. Afraid being beaten? Not fair?

You guys are just mad because M2K and Dojo beat you up and then right away you guys think its MKs fault.

You people need to stand and fight! Not be a wimpy jerk saying stuff like "MK beat me its not fair he's broken I would have beaten him bla bla bla" when you're actually saying "Some random MK player beat me but that can't be true because i'm invincible and no one ever beat me. And since some friend of mine told me he was beaten by MK too then he must be broken"

These people are wimps. You know why you lose against MK often? You lose your will power. People told you he's broken? Then when you're playing against MK you lose all your hope saying "Oh no its MK. He's impossible to beat. Might as well give up."

This ain't smash spirit. Please think about this.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
I'll play MK against my friends sometimes for kicks.

Out of all the friends and relatives I currently Brawl with, Metaknight used to be the most common main that they picked (and they all sucked at him).

Because of that, they have come to the opinion that Metaknight is a horrible character.

Then I play him and teach them a little lesson. :psycho:

But seriously... when I play Metaknight, I feel like I'm not even trying. He really is to cheap.

I am neither pro nor anti- ban persay. I would prefer that certain strategies be banned rather than perfectly good characters and stages.

Smash Master
There's like three people I play Brawl with that I can only beat with Metaknight. I get two stocked using anybody else. They're better than me, but it doesn't matter, since I have like five moves that, if any other character had them, it would be their signiture spam move.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I used to use him quiet often, not so much anymore. What is the deal with him, fill me in. Why does eveyone hate him?
He place highest in the tourney's, and condsider a chracter to win with no skills or too broken. I don't know, people just need to deal with it because he's not that broken and can be beat.

Oh and when's a good time to Brawl you, Michigan brother. :D

eman

Smash Apprentice
He place highest in the tourney's, and condsider a chracter to win with no skills or too broken. I don't know, people just need to deal with it because he's not that broken and can be beat.

Oh and when's a good time to Brawl you, Michigan brother. :D

We can go anytime, add my brawl code and I'll add yours!

g2g4l

Smash Apprentice
NO this is an insult to me because i main Olimar, Lucas, Toon Link, and Ness two being low tier, one Mid and he can be edgehogged to Death literally, and last high. I play tourneys and competitive smash and Meta knights all the time. Yes almost all of them are hard but every character i ever pplay in a competitve match is hard if you are afraid that your link can't beat a advantage Meta Knight, main another character or find a secendary that you can win with but get rid of the character, ha of course that sounds like the best way to go

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
I'm sure a few less people main him. Not play, main.
But not many.

^^^^^^
Thiiisssssssis.

GTFO you lysol commercial.
lol you own'd him :p

He used to be my second main, until I realized he was OMGLOLWTFBBQHAX and I can beat people without even trying made me quit him, I'm still good with him, but I just avoid playing MK

Oh just get banned already you butt hurt troll
Oh just GTFO and kill yourself

Master of Fossils

Smash Apprentice
lol I love playing as mk, though only friendlies occasionally. usually I dont but Im not that good anyway so its not like id be winning torneys or anything.

Kennahh

Smash Apprentice
Confirmed, sending Magikarp. (Killingworth, CT)
Well i'm asking YOU what YOU feel like being a pro-ban. Afraid being beaten? Not fair?
It isn't a fair battle, Meta Knight's worst match-up is Meta Knight
You guys are just mad because M2K and Dojo beat you up and then right away you guys think its MKs fault.

You people need to stand and fight! Not be a wimpy jerk saying stuff like "MK beat me its not fair he's broken I would have beaten him bla bla bla" when you're actually saying "Some random MK player beat me but that can't be true because I'm invincible and no one ever beat me. And since some friend of mine told me he was beaten by MK too then he must be broken"
It's not just some friend of mine, it's the entire smash community. A mediocre MK player can beat an experienced and talented Link main quite easily. We can stand and fight all we want, but we'll just get our recoveries gimped and our attacks interrupted by his nearly lagless ones, or he could just whorenado spam and put us out of our misery faster

These people are wimps. You know why you lose against MK often?Our ****ty matchups? You lose your will power. People told you he's broken?His worst match-up is himself, if that isn't broken, what is? Then when you're playing against MK you lose all your hope saying "Oh no its MK. He's nearly impossible to beat. Might as well give up."

This ain't smash spirit. Please think about this.
If this was coming from someone who wasn't a MK main, then they would have a little bit of credibility, but you main MK. It's very easy for you to say this. Try beating a good Meta Knight as Link, it's useless because he just gimps you off the stage, approaches you too quickly for your projectiles to really do much, is too small for your Z-air to hinder him, has much faster ground attacks and more effective grabs, and is WAY faster than Link. Link really has no advantages aside from his range, which won't win a match against a good Meta Knight, especially with all of the advantages over Link that he has. Plus as soon as you get knocked off the stage, you're dead.
Responses are in Yellow.

Chevalier

Smash Rookie
To my knowledge, tournament topping MKs don't mind if you think they're cheap, seeing that they actually top tournys. MK players may be referred to as "No Skill", this is not true seeing that most tournys are MK mirror matches and one MK has to be better than the rest, or, in other words, be more skillful with the character.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Yes I still play MK. All of my friends have a top tier main. That's my excuse, and I'll stick with it.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
I think that it would take far less effort to create our own balanced SSB game here, at home, literally than to ban Metaknight and not piss poeple off. Seriously, what kind of drugs do Japanese people take when they balance videogames?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I NEVER play as Meta-Knight.

and NO, it's not because he's top-tier and all, it's because I don't like him in general, though if he get's banned, I could care less, though i'm not going to get into detail about this here.

Lord Exor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordExor
3DS FC
0430-8460-0827
I main Meta Knight because he's overpowered. Why would I care what people think of him?

Roihu

Smash Ace
When people say "Get better" they mean to say that if you have the same amount of skill as them, you're screwed, right?
I'm speaking of those who main MK, of course.

Top Bottom