• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many of you Ness Mains have actually played Earthbound?

How many Ness mains have actually played Earthbound?

• I have!

• No...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Smudges

and we're back.
NNID
Smudges0
I love Ness. I've liked him in every singe iteration of Smash, and yet I've only played Earthbound after playing Brawl. I think that playing your character's game really helps build a connection and helps you stick with that character.

Also, whenever I lose to some randy Ness on FOR GLORY (be it to lag, or wat), I always get salty and be like " You even play Earthbound, B*****?!"

How many of you have played his game? What did you think? What's your favorite part? Is it important to play the game of your character? Discuss!

There's a similar discussion on the Lucas boards.

Last edited:

Smudges

and we're back.
NNID
Smudges0
I am not a Ness main, but what system is Earthbound for? It seems interesting.
Earthbound was for the SuperFamicom, or Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES, I own one). Did terribly, sold poorly. The few who bought it are laughing now, because the game became a cult classic, and a cartridge is now worth a LOT.

Also, available on the WiiU virtual console along with it's predecessor, Earthbound Beginnings (or Zero)

Don't forget Emulators for your phone/Pc, although I won't post links to ROMs and stuff.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have played Earthbound but I didn't finish. I like it a lot though so far and I want to pick it up again. I just don't know when I'll have the time to do so.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
I played earthbound and beat it before picking him up in smash. I got the game for virtual console around June of last year and it was so fun. Actually I'm playing it now trying to get everyones ultimate weapons. :)

XCounter

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CrossCounter
3DS FC
2981-7233-0181
I played it when it released on the Virtual Console. One of my favourite games ever.

EarthCrash

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart
I am a fan of the Mother series, though I tend to be believe that the community for it are elitists.

Also, whenever I lose to some randy Ness on FOR GLORY (be it to lag, or wat), I always get salty and be like " You even play Earthbound, B*****?!".
This is something that I see very common among EarthBound fans.

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
Nope, not yet. Just picked up ness cause he was fun and I liked his recovery (lol). Want to, though!

Uffe

Smash Hero
I've completed both EarthBound Beginnings and EarthBound, but I've never completed Mother 3. The guy who said EarthBound fans seem to be elitist, I agree. I happen to be that person.

The Jumperman

Smash Rookie
I've started a game on Earthbound when I was about 7, so naturally I didn't get very far. I picked it up again after maining Ness in Smash 4. I'm playing it on the phone that I type this message. On my way to Fourside, currently. I'd say this game is as unique as each individual who mains Ness. And I thought it was Solely I who was a Onett elitist. Nice to know I have family. Also, it was pointed out to me so I feel I should do the same. It's pronounced Wun-ett. It's followed (phonetically) by Two-sun (like Tuscon), Threed, and Fourside.

Smudges

and we're back.
NNID
Smudges0
Nope nope, It's On-ett. Just because the other cities are have numbers in their names doesn't mean that I need to pronounce it One-ett. It's because the others have names that are easy to pronounce with the numbers. One-ett is just awkward...

The Jumperman

Smash Rookie
It is definitely awkward. Following the trend of the entire awkward game. One-ett feels weird because they want it to.lol Earthbound is a rare game that makes you question the certainty of your own judgement.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
Nope nope, It's On-ett. Just because the other cities are have numbers in their names doesn't mean that I need to pronounce it One-ett. It's because the others have names that are easy to pronounce with the numbers. One-ett is just awkward...
Doesn't make sense for it to be On-ett and then the others sounding like they have numbers in them.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
I thought it was pronounced Oh-Net

Pryze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Apollon1an
For continuity's sake, I've been pronouncing it as One-ett for as long as I can remember. It doesn't make much sense to me to have Oh-nett, then Twoson, Threed, Fourside, and Tenda.

I played Mother 2 for the first time some five-years ago on an SNES emulator, and it very quickly became my favorite game. A few months later I would find and play the Mother 3 English translation, which I fell in love with pretty much instantaneously.

Following that I became a Ness purist in Smash. :4ness:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't main Ness but I have played EarthBound before. I haven't finished it at the moment but I'm liking it so far.

I used my remaining Club Nintendo coins to download it rather than spending $10 of my eShop balance for it.

kaz99

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
KAZ#306
Switch FC
SW-3846-9922-7779
I played Earthbound and I love it. It's definitely one of my favorite games

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
I first got interested in Ness and the Mother series in 2009 back during my late Brawl days, but I didn't get to play Earthbound until the spring of 2014, and I regret not figuring out how to play it sooner. I did get the VC release too after it came out, but for some reason I stopped playing that one just before going to Summers. That weekend trip I had to make probably broke my flow or something lol.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I can't be your Ness mod without playing and beating the game......just kidding! I have beaten Earthbound seven times, and own both the SNES version and the Super Famicom version. I also own MOTHER 1+2 and the VC re-release. I support the game wherever possible.

Suzukipot

Actual Mother trash
NNID
em12498
3DS FC
0404-9964-5652
Yep! I actually love Earthbound. It's why I wanted to main Ness in the first place. Before I played Earthbound I thought Ness was lame and I hated him.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I did. It blew up my patience.
In comparison, EarthBound's grinding isn't as bad. I played both games, and I don't think I'll ever go back to EarthBound Beginnings. This was before the first game had an actual English title. There were always two things that made me not like RPGs. Grinding and random battles. I get there is grinding in EarthBound, but it didn't seem as tedious. Even though I don't like RPGs, EarthBound allowed me to avoid or attack enemies whenever I wanted to. Same applied for Chrono Trigger, which is another game I enjoyed.

HotelWaffle

Smash Apprentice
Always used Ness in smash when playing with friends years ago. I played and beat mother 2 and 3, two years ago on a emulator.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I used Ness in 64 then jumped straight to brawl and only played Earthbound then. As it happens, I didn't finish it then, I got up to Cave of the Past, got stuck and then lost the device it was on.

In the past year, I re-downloaded it, finished it, quickly moved onto and devoured M3 before starting and finishing M1. All 3 games left a mark and have a place in my heart very few other games will ever be able to share. M3 is probably my absolute favourite (if you check out Pitchfork's analysis of the game, you'll realise it gets deep) but all of them are beautiful, and M1 for all of its unbalanced mess was actually pretty fun once I contented myself with grinding a bit in most areas, and had some really memorable moments (especially from Ellay onwards) + set up everything else in the Mother series/universe.

Last edited:

Ninja Girl

Smash Rookie
Always liked Ness and Lucas in Smash so I checked out Earthbound and Mother 3 a few years ago. The storytelling is incredible, I never thought such cute little pixelated games could make me feel all those feels.

Ælude

Smash Cadet
I'm a fan of the mother series but my first exposure to ness was actually smash64, ness was my favourite character as a kid and from there I went seeking his origins.

I keep smash and the characters/games I like pretty separate though, who I choose to play in smash has to do far more with how I like a characters move set and little to almost nothing of what my favourite game is. I despise ness in melee for example but will often times bust out peach - a character I have no attachment for outside of the smash realm.

heres a fun game; wreck some random in a ness ditto in fg and change your tag to "whats_earthbound?"

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
I've been wanting to play Earthbound but I've never had a good way of accessing the game aside from the demo on Smash 4. The only other experience I've had with it is Chuggaconroy's LP of Earthbound and it really does seem like something I'd get into.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
When I first started to main Ness in Smash 64, I really wanted to play EarthBound and see his origin story, and I got my first chance to play it on an emulator a little after Brawl came out. I beat it and I loved it, and while it's not my favorite game of all time, it's definitely up there. I've played Mother 3 but got stuck a little quickly; I like what it did but I prefer EarthBound more. I'm thinking about playing Beginnings/Mother 1 if I have the time now.

Sticking with a character doesn't require you to play their games- after all, a number of competitive players will choose (usually high tier) characters based on their play style- but it helps a lot if you want to be attached to them. I've kept Ike as a secondary since Brawl and I still want to play Radiant Dawn/Path of Radiance as a result.

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
Used to be my favorite game of all time, now a close second (Super Mystery Dungeon Embarrass ) but the game still gets me as much as the first time.

Wouldn't be using the char if it weren't for Earthbound.

Top Bottom