• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many of you like melee over brawl?

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
Wow, well to start off I like Melee over Brawl it is a good game. Those of us here that aren't mentally ******** should also agree. I thought Brawl was a good game at first..... I thought, oh well if wave dashing is taken out it should still be fun. ....................................The truth is it isn't, the lack of stun time after being attacked killed me I like being able to chain attacks together even without using glitches cause it is possible in Melee. Also all the rcovery tricks of peach, gannon, Falcon, link, and samus have been tampered with so you have less recovery options in Brawl.......there are many more reasons you should already know of by now on why Melee is better...but anyway....

Brawl may have more content......but that dosen't in any way make it better than Melee, good lord.

Just think of a favorite/good Movie than think of its longer sequel or just think of one of your favorite Music Artists think of one of their older CDs than think of a Newer one with more songs. Is it always better?

F*ck or just eat a cheeseburger you recieved from some old bum. The burger contains rocks, dirt, moldy cheese and maggots crawling all up in it. Then compare it to a McDonalds burger. The one the bum gave you has a crap-load more content. Did it Taste better? Did you accept it as what it was and learned to deal with it because it wasn't the similar enough or as good? Did you decide to eat more burgers similar to this maggot infested burger? F*ck no you mother f*cking stuck to eating normal ***** cheeseburgers after you threw-up all over your ****ty copy of SSBB.

Have a nice day Brawl-Bangers...

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
**** Alondite, you got ***** in the ****in ***. No need for a counter argument that's clearly been taken care of already. Go crawl back into your Brawl box with all of the other Brawlers.

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
**** Alondite, you got ***** in the ****in ***. No need for a counter argument that's clearly been taken care of already. Go crawl back into your Brawl box with all of the other Brawlers.
Who needs an argument, that's for scrubs... A story is better...
Melee was so bad, I went back to the 64 and said " YO! your bro is being a *****", then the N64 broke my gamecube.
Soon after, I followed my nose and chased the rainbows till I came to a point where I beat a few lepricons at the end of the rainbow road. Guess what the lepricons were guarding? Nuh uh it wasn't a pot of gold, it was SUPER SMASH BRAWL!!!

I picked up the game and obtained its power. Suddenly an angel came down from the silk cloudy skies made me king of smash.

Moral of this story is? I'll own everyone in this thread at smash, and responding to this post will prove me right.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Melee was so bad, I went back to the 64 and said " YO! your bro is being a *****", then the N64 broke my gamecube.
Soon after, I followed my nose and chased the rainbows till I came to a point where I beat a few lepricons at the end of the rainbow road. Guess what the lepricons were guarding? Nuh uh it wasn't a pot of gold, it was SUPER SMASH BRAWL!!!

I picked up the game and obtained its power. Suddenly an angel came down from the silk cloudy skies made me king of smash.

Moral of this story is? I'll own everyone in this thread at smash, and responding to this post will prove me right.
Hmm, you're definitely gay aren't you? You can go in that box with him.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move

See children, this is what Brawl does to your brain.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
Thanks Reaper, I knew that's what he said. :laugh:

No, I'm pretty sure Pink just showed you that is what you didn't say.

Yes, refined. Like how you go extremely slow, just so that it's easier for all those 11 year olds playing the game. You also forgot to mention:

Tripping
Characters have incredible edge grab ranges
Multiple air dodges with no movement on them
Certain characters will never see professional tournament play.
Power shields don't reflect in a CAMPING PROMOTING GAME!
It's easier to power shield
The hardest part of the game is approaching
Super Armor
More bad stages and the re-occurrence of bad ones

So... they took stuff out and put little in and that makes for more of a game? Well, if my reading is bad, then I can say that your math is off the charts... and not in the direction that would make you feel good.

Uh... yeah it does. It means, right now at least, melee is a better game because it can be played better than Brawl can. You said. I say it. They admit it. Melee is better than Brawl until they find some way to push the game to the preverbial "next level."

And now that I'm done obliterating your post, I can place you in the "Generic new guy who likes Brawl because it's the new thing and they sucked at melee so they are tieing themselves to it because now they can beat their friends be spamming buttons to win" or GNGWLBBINTTSMSTATTIBNTCBTFBSBW'ers.
1. Typos happen. Crucify me

2. Tripping is lame whatever. How does increased edge grab make the game worse? You know what it does? Makes it so you have to KO from the stage. You know what that does? Makes slow, powerful characters actually worth using, because they can do that. Hm....doesn't sound like a horrible idea to me, unless of course balance = bad. Also, most of Brawls cast has a hell of a lot better chance at reaching competitive play than Melee's. Melee had like....5 tourny worthy characters? Give or take. Camping? Hm.....for some reason I'm reminded of Melee 2 months after it's release....how odd.... Easier to power shield...ok...not sure how that means it a worse game...but sure. Maybe it favors the defending player? Hm...maybe that could be because the game's no Melee...MAYBE it plays differently, and approaches that worked in Melee don't work in Brawl? Huh...imagine that. People are so hardwired into their Melee style that it seems like it's **** near impossible for them to adjust to how to play Brawl, because the same stuff obviously does not work. How is Super Armor bad? Because it gives heavies a chance? Hm.... Sure it could be abused...so work around. You're calling me a bad Melee player, so that must mean you are almighty or something, I'm sure you could find a way around that. How is more stages bad? And by reacurrence I HOPE you mean bringing back some of Melee's bad stages, because most of Brawls original stages aer great IMO...and if you don't like them make your own. Just because Melee can be played at a higher level does not mean it's better game. It make be more viable for competition right now...but before too long it's metagame is going to approach it's peak. It may not end up as 1 character 1 stages, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was all Fox on FD before too long. Because it can't be patched, it's competitive value it limited. Brawl has a fresh slate to work with. Also I'm STILL not getting how I'm a bad Melee player because I find Brawl more enjoyable, ESPECIALLY when you have never played me, never seen me play, or anything of the sort.

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
Oh I'm sorry if this debate is that significant for you guys. Seriously there are bigger things to deal with than a brawl vs melee debate. We'll see the same arguments go back and forth anyways and really talking about it won't change much because there is no real base on which to prove superiority over these two games apart from the ones you imagine or think up yourselves.

My post a bit higher above this one,(if you have at least a high school analytical skill level) demonstrates how useless this thread has become, to the point where it has been transformed into a joke thread. If you can't see how these threads are useless you need to recheck your education or mature a little more.

Fact of the matter is no matter how much you say or compare (if possible) no one wins, no decisions will be changed and no one cares about what you think if they like their game, because no one plays these games for a living... and if you do, may god have mercy on your soul.

Now I want to contribute to ending this discussion

This type of thread from what I've seen only serves to turn down the newcomers that have come looking for info concerning the new smash game.

So to prevent this habit from continuing from both sides I will not say one is better than the other.

It's obvious more people like this game because when you go outside you hear a lot more brawl talk from gamer students than melee talk (don't give me the bs of I've heard people say melee is better because I am talking from a statistical basis). I hope that answers TP's question.
There is nothing to discuss in this topic it's like saying how many people like green apples over red apples,
except the red apples have been genetically modified to be better.
People will argue both sides but more will obviously like the red apples because they are made to taste better, they are newer, and they are attracted to the change in the system. They will adapt to it and most will not go back to the green apple as often as they used to because it just isn't the same anymore. Sometimes the old type of apple will die out.

You want to discuss without people thinking this thread is a joke? Discuss with thought. This thread from what I read at the first post was only meant to compare how many people like each game. The rest is considered spam in my eyes.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
You are right Fabrian. But people like to argue, even if they will never win the argument. So this thread will probably continue on despite the lack of meaningful discussion (unless it is closed).

Pretty much all you can do is ignore it, or read and laugh at the some of the less educated folk being pwned verbally. =)

PozerWolf

Smash Journeyman
****, I don't understand most of the hate that happens between the 2 games.

There both part of the Smash series, why cant Melee support Brawl and the Brawl people support Melee?

But for the most part, one game will dominate over the other, and so far the number of people who have moved over to Brawl is just too much.

In general, its only a matter of time till Melee is out, but it won't be gone for good.
It will suffer the same way Street Fighter 2 did, tis all.

lotor611

Smash Journeyman
i have seen other posters list all the reasons why melee is better. thank you all. melee was and still is the deepest fighting game ever created. i play other games competitively such as soul calibur and budokai but nothing is as difficult or rewarding as getting really good at melee. brawl is for people that never heard of melee and went right for it after ssb64.

PozerWolf

Smash Journeyman
i have seen other posters list all the reasons why melee is better. thank you all. melee was and still is the deepest fighting game ever created. i play other games competitively such as soul calibur and budokai but nothing is as difficult or rewarding as getting really good at melee. brawl is for people that never heard of melee and went right for it after ssb64.
Maybe I can see why people go off with these arguments.
In general, sorry to say but this was a rather ignorant post.

Soul Calibur is laughable to the fighting game community because of how linear it is.
And I don't know anyone out there that thought of the Budokai series to even be tournament worthy, but whatever.

Melee isn't exactly the deepest fighter out there.
Might want to look at your other options of fighting games before saying that.

Regardless, what makes a fighting game deep or more competitive?
More moves? Techniques? Glitches?
If that is the case, then I guess you can say Capcom vs SNK 2 is the most competitive/deep game out there, while games like the Smash Brothers series don't have as many options and are considered the least competitive/deep (thats if I'm using the same logic as most of you'll).

Truth be said, the deepest and closes to a perfect fighting game would and will be Street Fighter 2 Super Turbo, no lie.
Anyone who says otherwise is dumb and don't know anything about fighting games (no really).

golden_leeroy

Smash Journeyman
There both part of the Smash series, why cant Melee support Brawl and the Brawl people support Melee?
It's because they reside on two completely opposite sides of the Smash spectrum(I'm sorry, that was lame); Melee players find it difficult to support Brawl because of the lack of many fundamental (competitive) Melee components such as edge game, wavedashing, l-cancelling, etc.

As someone who recently became good enough to participate in large Melee tournaments, I was a little upset when Brawl came out, for it partially extinguished the Melee circuit. Plus, if one was really good in Melee, would you care to switch to a new game?

Brawl fanatics can't support Melee because, more than likely, they sucked at the game. Then they say, "Melee players can't adapt." Thats what the real problem is: Brawl fanatic ignorance.

I do apologize for throwing more fuel on this fire, but I was bored.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
PozerWolf said:
Melee isn't exactly the deepest fighter out there.
Might want to look at your other options of fighting games before saying that.
Uh it's A LOT deeper than you think. I believe it to be one of the deepest out there that's just me though either way it's still a deep *** game. You obviously haven't played a high enough level of Melee to realize that.

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
Uh it's A LOT deeper than you think. I believe it to be one of the deepest out there that's just me though either way it's still a deep *** game. You obviously haven't played a high enough level of Melee to realize that.
Wo Wo Wo... who said melee isn't the deepest game out there... are you ****ing serious? Tell me of a deeper game and I'll walk around for two days with my **** hanging out.

Lumpy..

Smash Ace
ATTENTION!!!!
ANYBODY WHO SAYS BRAWL IS MORE BALANCED BECAUSE IT DOESN'T HAVE "GLITCHES" OR "EXPLOITS" CAN WATCH THIS VIDEO AND STFU!!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=a56_AsrpaoA

p.s. funny how this thread is so active when the person who made it hasn't even posted in it once hahahaha
i found a post from him in the complaint thread for all you melee fans to laugh at...

who's ken? and why did he quit?
i hope he's being as sarcastic as possible...:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

PozerWolf

Smash Journeyman
It's because they reside on two completely opposite sides of the Smash spectrum(I'm sorry, that was lame); Melee players find it difficult to support Brawl because of the lack of many fundamental (competitive) Melee components such as edge game, wavedashing, l-cancelling, etc.

As someone who recently became good enough to participate in large Melee tournaments, I was a little upset when Brawl came out, for it partially extinguished the Melee circuit. Plus, if one was really good in Melee, would you care to switch to a new game?

Brawl fanatics can't support Melee because, more than likely, they sucked at the game. Then they say, "Melee players can't adapt." Thats what the real problem is: Brawl fanatic ignorance.
Games die, and games come and go.
It happens all the time.

Just 'cause you got good at Melee then Brawl came out, well sorry.

There are times when a scene is started up for a certain game and 2 years later the game dies even tho certain people have put a lot of work into it. Well sorry, a new game was born and took over. Not much you can do there but move on.

Your general lack of knowledge of other fighting games has ledge you to believe that Melee is a deep fighting game. In general, my current conclusion would be correct.
If you want facts, the Smash Series would be, in fact, one of the most linear fighting games out there.

Take it anyway you will, but I suppose fanboys will be fanboys.

I'm not saying Melee has 0 depth, I'm saying its no where near as insane as other fighting games.

Footies are not very constructive in the game, and mind games are only consisted on where the enemy stances no so much on what the enemy does in terms on what move he will do next.

You can actually say Melee is a good competitive game for those who could not play Street Fighter, the VS Series, or Guilty Gear (and any other fighting games) due to its learning curve.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Games die, and games come and go.
It happens all the time.

Just 'cause you got good at Melee then Brawl came out, well sorry.

There are times when a scene is started up for a certain game and 2 years later the game dies even tho certain people have put a lot of work into it. Well sorry, a new game was born and took over. Not much you can do there but move on.

Your general lack of knowledge of other fighting games has ledge you to believe that Melee is a deep fighting game. In general, my current conclusion would be correct.
If you want facts, the Smash Series would be, in fact, one of the most linear fighting games out there.

Take it anyway you will, but I suppose fanboys will be fanboys.

I'm not saying Melee has 0 depth, I'm saying its no where near as insane as other fighting games.

Footies are not very constructive in the game, and mind games are only consisted on where the enemy stances no so much on what the enemy does in terms on what move he will do next.

You can actually say Melee is a good competitive game for those who could not play Street Fighter, the VS Series, or Guilty Gear (and any other fighting games) due to its learning curve.
So your saying spacing ISN'T that important and mindgames DON'T exist?

Well, I could say that other fighters aren't deep, they're just popular, and the supposed "Depth" is nothing more than dial-a-combo button memorization. I'd be wrong, but unlike you, I'd be willing to admit it.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Give me an example of how other fighting games are a lot deeper than Melee then I'll shut up but until then Melee's just as deep as any other game out there. Free form action is definitely has a lot more to it than pressing certain button combinations to get what you want.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Truth be said, the deepest and closes to a perfect fighting game would and will be Street Fighter 2 Super Turbo, no lie.
Anyone who says otherwise is dumb and don't know anything about fighting games (no really).
How is this the deepest fighting games if there are alot more complicated fighting games especially when Street Fighter 3 Alpha and Third Strike is so much more deep. And Melee is one of the deepest fighting games out there. GG is probably the deepest fighting game out there, but Melee is no slouch and actually has a scene in a America. lol

Edit: After reading more of your stuff, you sound like some butt hurt SRK person. XD

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
You are clearly a moron. Can you not read? I basically said that I was better at MP1 than MP3, but prefer to play MP3. It's completely relevant to my point: I'm better at Melee than Brawl, but still prefer to play Brawl. If your brain worked properly you might have been able to figure that out without me having to spell it out for you. You know what I find amusing? How you have yet to back up anything you have said with anything of any sort of intelligence, logic, or relevance.
Maybe you made a typo, but you said that you've beaten MP3 in 1:07 or whatever, and you prefer to play MP3.

Also, crappy reasoning and biased opinions? Brawl is/has, in FACT:

More balance between characters
Has more characters
More stages
Fewer bugs (at least so far)
More game modes
Online play
More collectibles
FAR superior soundtrack
Overall more, and more refined content

And what does that all add up to? Well, more game, and better game. Brawl having a less developed metagame 2 months after it's stateside release DOES NOT mean that Melee is a better game in any way shape or form. Melee is faster paced, but that's about the only concrete argument one could have toward Melee being a BETTER game. So until I hear some kind of relevant reasoning behind anything you say, you're filed under the "Moron" category.
Um...can you explain to me how everything you said automatically means the game is better? You can say that you like it more, but "better" is an opinion. Granted, some things you pointed out, only few people would actually dislike over what Melee said, but that's not true for most. Also, you forget that, while Brawl has pros, so does Melee--so just because Brawl has pros doesn't mean it's better. Need proof? Well, fine then.

More balance between characters This is an opinion.
Has more characters Yeah, 10 more; so what? Yes, more characters is good usually, but many people dislike the new characters, most notably Sonic and ROB. It's nice to have a selection, but on the other hand, there was nothing wrong with Melee's roster either.
More stages Albeit more moving, annoying, gimmick-filled stages. And not just "Oh, there's one gimmick." There are stages like Spear Pillar that could've been great, yet they had to shove so many gimmicks into it that it's only playable for goofy matches most of the time.
Fewer bugs (at least so far) I'm going to assume you're counting ATs as "bugs". I've got news for you, they're not. And considering Brawl has a ton of "fall through the stage" glitches and many other sorts of glitches, I'd hardly say Brawl has fewer bugs.
More game modes Yes, but many of them were compromised for numbers. Target Test, for example, was cut down to a mere 5 stages from a whole entire 25. Yes, we did get some new game modes as well, but in Brawl's case, they chose quantity over quality mode-wise. I love Brawl's modes, but many of them are sub-par.
Online play Which is full of button lag and regular lag. Even when fighting those close to you, you'll find spontaneous lag, at least I have. Yes, it's better than nothing, but still...it's pretty bad.
More collectibles You're right, everybody LOVES stickers. And the trophies were dumbed down. Honestly, I myself think that Mewtwo's trophy in Melee looks better than his Brawl one. That's just an example. Do I like the trophies? Yes, but they aren't really important, nor are they all that spectacular.
FAR superior soundtrack This, I pretty much have to give you; however, you have to consider that some tracks from Melee did not return, and some that did return were remixed. There are probably a few that liked some of the music in Melee better. Not many, but a few.
Overall more, and more refined content More? Yes. But as I said before, they chose quantity over quality. I wouldn't say it's more refined at all.

The only things, gameplay-wise that were removed from Brawl were things like wavedashing, l-canceling, etc. which were almost all in fact bugs or exploits of the game engine. What self-respecting developer would leave in such things if they broke the game balance and narrowed it down to a few play-worthy characters and stages? It's essentially scrapping most of the game. A half dozen useful characters in a cast of over 20 does not speak well about a game. Competitive value is irrelevant to a vast majority of developers. Sakurai is dumb because he chose to remove bugs and exploits, and to make a PARTY game more accessible? Hm....that sounds...I don't know....smart if you ask me. Saying that removing bugs and exploits from a game is dumb...that's just absurd. Sakurai did what any good developer would do. You are the one throwing out unreasonable ideas and biased opinions, not me. And for the record, I never said "I like Brawl so so do you" I said to stop complaining that Brawl is not Melee 2, that it has programming errors removed, and either just give it a chance, or don't play it at all.
Exploits, maybe; bugs, no, they aren't. Something like falling through a stage, that's a bug. Sliding on the ground or speeding up an animation to cut down lag is basically an exploit. It's logical that it happens; just because it wasn't put in specifically doesn't mean it's a bug.

Just think of a favorite/good Movie than think of its longer sequel or just think of one of your favorite Music Artists think of one of their older CDs than think of a Newer one with more songs. Is it always better?
I always love real-life analogies in debates like these. They work so well. :)
Yeah, and to expand on this, take a book and compare it to said book's movie. Oh heck, let's take a really good example. Eragon was a very good book. But all it had was words. It didn't have really shiny graphics and things, it didn't have any special features. Now let's take the DVD of the movie. It has shiny graphics, music, special features on the disc; but if you've read the book, you know that the movie is BEYOND horrible.

So yeah, shiny graphics and more modes are nice, but do they make something better? Read Eragon and watch the movie, then tell me what you think.

1. Typos happen. Crucify me
Okay, I'll go get my nails and cross. :laugh:

2. Tripping is lame whatever. How does increased edge grab make the game worse? You know what it does? Makes it so you have to KO from the stage. You know what that does? Makes slow, powerful characters actually worth using, because they can do that.
It makes the game worse because it's like you're a MAGNET and the freakin' ledge is METAL! Not only does it make recovering easy, but a lot of times I'll be trying to do something (most of the time on a stage where there are ledges on the stage itself so you'd be near them when you aren't trying to recover, such as on Spear Pillar) and I latch onto the ledge and it screws me up. I didn't want to grab onto the ledge, but you're practically FORCED to. When Sakurai said "You Must Recover!" he wasn't kidding, because you MUST. It's almost unavoidable. Also, just because it's easy to grab onto the ledge doesn't mean you HAVE to KO from the stage. In fact, if that's all you do, you're an idiot. Slow characters can KO off-stage as well, so I'm not sure what you're thinking.

Hm....doesn't sound like a horrible idea to me, unless of course balance = bad.
I really love your concept of "balanced". Just because you're magnetic to the ledge doesn't mean the game is balanced. Unless of course, you mean on a noob vs skilled level, in which case you might be right, since the noobs can recover with hardly any effort.

Also, most of Brawls
Was this a typo? (Should be "Brawl's" with an apostrophe, it's a possessive)

cast has a hell of a lot better chance at reaching competitive play than Melee's. Melee had like....5 tourny worthy characters? Give or take.
Oh goody, more opinion.

Camping? Hm.....for some reason I'm reminded of Melee 2 months after it's release....how odd.... Easier to power shield...ok...not sure how that means it a worse game...but sure. Maybe it favors the defending player? Hm...maybe that could be because the game's no Melee...MAYBE it plays differently, and approaches that worked in Melee don't work in Brawl? Huh...imagine that. People are so hardwired into their Melee style that it seems like it's **** near impossible for them to adjust to how to play Brawl, because the same stuff obviously does not work.
Because Power Shields are very powerful, that's why it's a problem. And it doesn't just favor "the defending player", it favors people camping (with or without projectiles) and so when the opponent approaches, *shield* and their attempt to actually attack fails. Which just encourages camping more. That's a bad thing, because no one likes camping.
Obviously Brawl plays differently, but no one was expecting them to be identical, it's the specific change that annoys people. And it's not just approaches from Melee, it's 99% of approaches that don't work. I'm adjusted to Brawl, but that doesn't mean it's not annoying.

How is Super Armor bad? Because it gives heavies a chance? Hm.... Sure it could be abused...so work around.
Aren't there characters besides heavies that have Super Armor? Also, what is it with your love for heavies? Do you mind not saying "ZOMG POOR HEAVIES!" every time you get a chance? They have plenty of chance, stop acting like the whole entire Smash Bros. is biased against them.
OK, well you know what else can be abused? Infinite attacks. So I guess those are fine, and we should just work around them? No need to care, it's not like they affect the game incredibly or anything. We shouldn't care if we get stuck against a wall until 999%, we should just work around, right? Your logic is flawed.

You're calling me a bad Melee player, so that must mean you are almighty or something, I'm sure you could find a way around that. How is more stages bad? And by reacurrence I HOPE you mean bringing back some of Melee's bad stages, because most of Brawls original stages aer great IMO...and if you don't like them make your own. Just because Melee can be played at a higher level does not mean it's better game. It make be more viable for competition right now...but before too long it's metagame is going to approach it's peak. It may not end up as 1 character 1 stages, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was all Fox on FD before too long. Because it can't be patched, it's competitive value it limited. Brawl has a fresh slate to work with. Also I'm STILL not getting how I'm a bad Melee player because I find Brawl more enjoyable, ESPECIALLY when you have never played me, never seen me play, or anything of the sort.
Oh my God...this paragraph is so rife with spelling/grammatical errors I guarantee you that there are at least SOME that aren't typos...("reaccurrence" is not how you spell reoccurance...and that's just one piece of it)

Because quantity isn't necessarily everything. Brawl's stages ARE great, that is, if you want a contest of gimmicks. Gimmicks are fun, but Brawl is just...loaded with them.

And just because Brawl can be played by casual and competitive gamers easily doesn't make it better. In fact, in my opinion, that's worse, because Nintendo just caters less and less to those who've been with them for years now. I can give my opinion, too.

Sometimes the old type of apple will die out.
Not if the apple was ever good. Retro games like Super Metroid, Sonic 1, and Pokemon Red + Blue haven't died off because they were great games, and still are.

sonic boy

Smash Apprentice
*sigh* well this is my story...ok the first day i got brawl....omfg this game is awesome best in the seies gfygfyufhgfyug!!! i unlocked snake gfkvsdkygfs!!! 3 days later *sigh* ok i finally unlocked everybody....lets play! 2 weeks later *sigh* oh i won cool.....*sigh* who will i play as......ugh thats it!!!! hey dad let me barrow 40$......i went to gamestop bought a copy of smash bros melee and a gamecube controler...i put it in my wii...and this is awesome omfg combo ghjghghj wavedashing hghjghjhj...3 weeks later omfg this game is still awesoem fgfgh...so yea i still love brawl and play it most of the time so i can get good...but once in a while i pop in melee to have some real fun lol.......

Neodaft_boy

Smash Cadet
I don't play Melee over Brawl, though occasionally I pop Melee in just to see what has changed and what hasn't ...I've adjusted to the fact that Brawl is slower paced, but I find I have myself more fun playing Brawl with friends -- Melee was good that way too but at least if anyone else new jumps in they wont die right away.

I personally like the Brawl physics engine. Mainly, I'm happy that there is NO wavedashing... that was the main factor I hated about Melee... whats the fun in a fighting game if you just dodge and nip each other with reflectors.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
man i gotta poop reeaaaal bad
Do you ever contribute anything to conversations? Looking through your posts, I saw very few that even had anything to do with the topic at hand, and those that did were still spam-esque.

I don't play Melee over Brawl, though occasionally I pop Melee in just to see what has changed and what hasn't ...I've adjusted to the fact that Brawl is slower paced, but I find I have myself more fun playing Brawl with friends -- Melee was good that way too but at least if anyone else new jumps in they wont die right away.
True, they don't die right away, but in Brawl there's more of a random effect to winning. It's hard to predict whether or not you'll win, even if you've been playing it for a couple of hours a day, every day. As someone who has done just that, I don't particularly appreciate that.

Leiferouis

Smash Rookie
YESS!! I have been searching for threads like this for weeks (I'm not a regular member here). Melee>Brawl for me because its more fast-paced, more in-depth, ATs, more satisfying, can show off, and pros vs. noobs is pretty obvious to differentiate.

Only good thing about Brawl is that it has better graphics, more content (characters, items) and better technology (wifi, talking controllers). Also better single player.

Although the online play is pretty tempting.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Has anyone else noticed that the people defending Brawl are most often (not always) new players? For all of you that are Brawl lovers, pop in Melee and try to master it. That's exactly what I did while anticipating Brawl! See, playing Brawl for me (someone whom has managed to become a decent Melee player) is like setting me back all the way to when I started training, and limiting me there. I can go on for paragraphs saying why Melee downright owns Brawl, but I'll sum it up.

-Brawl has essentially no combos. Any combos you see are situational (really rare), or are the product of n00bery
-In Brawl, you recover way to easily
-The game is slower, it's less intense. The speed drop is mild, but combined with all the other factors, it doesn't help at all!

The game in general isn't balanced. Yes, I'm aware the characters are balanced with in the gameplay of the game, but the foundation of the very game isn't balanced. Grabs are now almost useless for some characters, and other characters (ICs, D3) can pretty much infinity you with their grabs. Sweet spotting ledge automatically kills a lot of strategy. Also, you can now likely DI all the way back onto the stage after being sent flying!

The only thing that makes Brawl decent is it's ****ty online. That's right, it has HORRIBLE online, but it's online non-the less. The characters in Brawl aren't really well designed. Sakurai got lazy on the veterans which could have used a much larger overhaul! The stages in Brawl may be more diverse, but it lacks the one stage I always play on (Dream Land 64) and it's music!

The only way Brawl will achieve even a pint of "fun" is if it is played in High Gravity!

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
Melee:
- Faster Gameplay
- Wavedashing/L Canceling
- Easier Combos and easy KOs
- Tremendous skill gap

Brawl:
- More characters abd stages (though many of the stages are horrible)
- more balanced character sets
- Easier Recoveries
- Small skill gap.... like Melee had when it first came out (yep i said it).

Both games have their pros and cons. I'm willing to agree with the fact that Melee should stay on competetive circuit because of its massive difference from Brawl, but dont shoot down Brawl either. I've been a hardcore fan since 64 and I prefer Brawl over the others.

Auto sweet spotting the ledges does make recoveries easy, but thats why the gravity is lower so you can chase your opponents off the stage and make sure they dont make it back. Grabbing is one of many tactics in smash bros, so grabbing alone should not be used to judge the balance of gameplay (though there are some broken grabs). Di back to the stage? Any opponent that lets you DI all the way back deserves to be punished and KOed, that kills the purpose of field control.

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
im not saying that. In all honesty i just said the opposite on another thread, and i will restate what i said on that thread: All that matters as balance is concerned is how good the players are with the characters and stages that they're working with. In all honesty, i find the character sets to be the only thing in the game more balanced than melee, gameplay is completely different.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Melee:
- Faster Gameplay
- Wavedashing/L Canceling
- Easier Combos and easy KOs
- Tremendous skill gap

Brawl:
- More characters abd stages (though many of the stages are horrible)
- more balanced character sets
- Easier Recoveries
- Small skill gap.... like Melee had when it first came out (yep i said it).

Both games have their pros and cons. I'm willing to agree with the fact that Melee should stay on competetive circuit because of its massive difference from Brawl, but dont shoot down Brawl either. I've been a hardcore fan since 64 and I prefer Brawl over the others.

Auto sweet spotting the ledges does make recoveries easy, but thats why the gravity is lower so you can chase your opponents off the stage and make sure they dont make it back. Grabbing is one of many tactics in smash bros, so grabbing alone should not be used to judge the balance of gameplay (though there are some broken grabs). Di back to the stage? Any opponent that lets you DI all the way back deserves to be punished and KOed, that kills the purpose of field control.
The small skill gap was never present in Melee. Even one month in, players like Isai dominated all the others. See, Sakurai himself stated that he developed Brawl to be a party game. Through most of Brawl's development, this guy was removing gameplay elements!

Guess why we got a speed decrease? Because of the 4 types of controllers... YUP, the speed decrease was primarily for the Wii Mote only scheme that EVERYONE uses. This was in Nintendo Power btw, just incase you want to look it up.

Brawl isn't different, it's much, much, much, much worse. Ofcourse, you yourself probably were never one of those players that started to master Melee and you jumped into Brawl now with it's massive hype.

Brawl is a ****ty, strictly defensive, boring, comboless game that revolves on who has the best dodging skills. Honestly, Brawl is like dodgeball and Melee is like fencing. Fencing has both a balance of offense and defence.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Why is everyone saying that Brawl is more balanced than Melee? That's pure nonsense.
Brawl might be more balanced on the character front (even though Snake, Toon Link, Pit and Wolf are running with the flag now) but it's gameplay is less balanced. Melee had your options to approach an opponent. In Brawl however, you will have a more difficult time due to it's floatiness and speed decrease.

E.g
P1-Spams Palutena's bow
P2-Jumps
P1-Arrow
P2-Airdodge
P1-Bow
P2-Shield
P1-Bow
P2-Jump

It takes too long!

Also, if you have a match with characters that can spam and relfect, you'll literally die from the boredom (Wolf-Pit).

Brawl is boring. Melee is fun. If you somehow find it otherwise it's because you haven't mastered the boring defensive game of Brawl, or you haven't mastered the whole meta game of Melee.

P.S. I was correct, both of these guys defending Brawl have lower post counts :p!

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
wow ur post count is intimidating.

I do know about Sakurai making this a party game, he doesnt approve of competetive play(thats what tripping came in for). But the topic isnt stating anything about competitive play. Brawl is still a good game, but its just my opinion.

Lumpy..

Smash Ace
YESS!! Melee>Brawl for me because its more fast-paced, more in-depth, ATs, more satisfying, can show off, and pros vs. noobs is pretty obvious to differentiate.

Only good thing about Brawl is that it has better graphics, more content
i like this...
dude has only like 2 posts and is in favor of melee...
i just think that's hard to find...

also...
balls...

Top Bottom