• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many of you like melee over brawl?

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Getting back on topic....

I can't stand to play Melee after playing Brawl... It seems like it was programmed by a half dozen ******** 6 year olds... It's so buggy and horribly unbalanced...it's a wreck. I would hide my face like Michael jackson if I were on Melee's development team. Brawl is such a solid game. Stages are more well-designed, characters are balanced....it's better in every conceivable way. So it doesn't have a bunch of "Advanced Techniques" (more like exploits and glitches...), but it's just flat-out more fun to play than Melee could ever hope to be. Stop whining about it's "competitive value", and just play the **** game because it's really irrelevant at this point. The metagame will not evolve if people don't play the game. It's not Melee 2, so don't play it like it is. Maybe l canceling and chainthrowing aren't as important in Brawl...it's a whole new game. It's not going to to have a competitive metagame after a little over a month after it's US release...come on... So your "advanced techs" and overpowered characters don't put you at an advantage anymore...deal with it, and stop whining.
Your mom should have starved herself when she was pregnant with you.

Corigames

Smash Hero

I can't stand to play Melee after playing Brawl... It seems like it was programmed by a half dozen ******** 6 year olds... It's so buggy and horribly unbalanced...it's a wreck. I would hide my face like Michael jackson if I were on Melee's development team. Brawl is such a solid game. Stages are more well-designed, characters are balanced....it's better in every conceivable way. So it doesn't have a bunch of "Advanced Techniques" (more like exploits and glitches...), but it's just flat-out more fun to play than Melee could ever hope to be. Stop whining about it's "competitive value", and just play the **** game because it's really irrelevant at this point. The metagame will not evolve if people don't play the game. It's not Melee 2, so don't play it like it is. Maybe l canceling and chainthrowing aren't as important in Brawl...it's a whole new game. It's not going to to have a competitive metagame after a little over a month after it's US release...come on... So your "advanced techs" and overpowered characters don't put you at an advantage anymore...deal with it, and stop whining.
That post is completely ironic. You basically said, "Melee is better, but I suck, so you stop complaining about Brawl."

You can't make apost full of whining about how melee is bad and then finish with,"...deal with it, and stop whining."

MarthBeast

Smash Apprentice
Ive got to say that i like melee better than brawl. I like it better because of the game play and the Characters they are just adding way too many

Lumpy..

Smash Ace
i knew they would handle it...
this thread belongs to coreygames...
because he does what i'm too lazy to do...
he actually reads all of the "pro-brawl" posts in order to retaliate...
too funny...

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
Wow ignorant much? I never said Melee was better, and actaully, I'm a competant Melee player, but after playing Brawl, Melee's faults are easy to see. I find it amusing how you automatically assume I'm not a good Melee player because I said that Brawl is a better game. And HOW exactly do those 2 correlate? Sorry but I'm not seeing the connection. I've beaten Metroid Prime 3 in 1:07, yet i still prefer to play MP3. Also whining? Lol. In order to be whining about Melee being worse than Brawl, I'd have to want it to be better, which is not the case. These boards have become as bad as GameFAQs...

Corigames

Smash Hero
Well, you can help us out by asking a moderator to delete your account. The amount of ignorance would drop by .8% per new user, and people like you who talk while still ignorant promotes conversations based off of crappy reasoning and biased opinions.

I beat Kirby Dreamland (NES) in under 45 minutes without the UFO glitch. And you know what? Super Metroid is still my favorite game. I can't beat it fast, because I have a need to get every single item, but I still love that game. So, you can love MP3 because you can beat it quickly, but it doesn't change the fact that you were bad at melee. Those game don't translate.

So, stop whining about smashboards when you are a contributer to the problem.

Zone

Smash Champion

I can't stand to play Melee after playing Brawl... It seems like it was programmed by a half dozen ******** 6 year olds... It's so buggy and horribly unbalanced...it's a wreck.
Brawl is buggy, and horribly unbalanced.... It's a wreck. Do your research. There are some bugs already discovered such as Making snake slide accross the screen with his upsmash. So you points to point out that melee is bad, are horrible. Look at some tournament results. Alot of some of a few characters are repeatedly winning more so than other characters.

I would hide my face like Michael jackson if I were on Melee's development team. Brawl is such a solid game.
If you can't make a better game with a team. Which I'm sure you can't You probably don't even know how to code. Then don't insult development teams, Until your on one urself and you do better.

Stages are more well-designed, characters are balanced....it's better in every conceivable way. So it doesn't have a bunch of "Advanced Techniques" (more like exploits and glitches...), but it's just flat-out more fun to play than Melee could ever hope to be. Stop whining about it's "competitive value", and just play the **** game because it's really irrelevant at this point. The metagame will not evolve if people don't play the game. It's not Melee 2, so don't play it like it is. Maybe l canceling and chainthrowing aren't as important in Brawl...it's a whole new game. It's not going to to have a competitive metagame after a little over a month after it's US release...come on... So your "advanced techs" and overpowered characters don't put you at an advantage anymore...deal with it, and stop whining.
The way you tell people to stop complaining and to just play the game they dislike is dumb.
That would be like telling someone who hates turkey, but likes roast beef, to stop whining, and just eat the turkey. when there is plenty of roast beef available.

"Maybe l canceling and chainthrowing aren't as important in brawl... it's a whole new game."

Yes a whole new game of things taken out.

Taking things out of something Almost never adds to the depth. Adding does... but it depends on what you add... Adding things like Tripping is dumb.

IMO If ur a smart player and know how to place your money. You won't place ur money too much on luck factors which is what alot of brawl seems to be to me so far.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
bla bla ****addy bla. You guys are all ****ing children. Go to gamefaqs. Please dont go to allisbrawl.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Guess you'll be joining them at Gamefaqs. This post looks a little childish to me.
Hm, I think I'm going to have to say it looks very childish.

Also, Alondite, if you want to say you personally think Brawl is better, that's great. But to say "NO! I LIKE BRAWL BETTER, SO YOU HAVE TO AS WELL!" is childish.

I like both equally, but I'm not going to go around saying "I LIKE BOTH OF THEM SO YOU HAVE TO AS WELL!" And honestly, so Brawl is newer, so what? I love retro games to death. 2D Metroid will probably be gone soon (it may already be through), the 300 Pokemon that have been added to the series will never get sucked into a black hole, Sonic is never returning to his roots, and the memories I have of playing a game from years and years ago will never move onto another game. I can make new ones, but the old ones will never transfer. So you see, to say "A new era is here, you're not allowed to play the old games anymore" is just stupid. A lot of older games are better.

Again, I like Melee and Brawl both equally, but the position that you have to play a new game over an old one because it's new just doesn't work.

shottastern1

Smash Rookie
GAMEPLAY.... the weighing factor in this decision.

Brawl has greatly expanded in every other aspect except this one... the most important one IMO. Gameplay is what keeps the gamer coming back after all levels are complete, all the goodies are won, and all the characters are accounted for. When it comes down to the bare bones of a game, no matter how many characters there are or trophies you win, what keeps you coming back is the fun of the Gameplay.

Melee's GAMEPLAY is much better IMO...any experienced player can justify this. In the interest of financial profit from a larger group of gamers, Brawl has been dumbed down to fit the criteria of the casual gamer, hence removing most of the thrill of investing time to cultivate combos, timing, etc...This is because the game is meant to keep gameplay boringly even.

When I was 1st introduced to the advanced melee tactics, a whole new world opened up for me and the room for improvement grew exponentially. Even before the advanced techs I knew there were many technical aspects that could be deciphered in melee.

As an experienced ssb64, and melee player, playing brawl for a couple months now I can honestly say that it seems there is a lack of depth in the GAMEPLAY. Theres just an empty feeling that this game can never fill the way melee did. A deep competitive void. So much has been removed from the gameplay and It seems that all characters have suffered.

If your an experienced melee players out there who at least knows about and have seen advanced techniques implemented think about this... (Imagine the potential of Wolf, Wario, or even Zero Suit Samus if they were in melee. Really... close your eyes and just imagine a melee Wolf if fighting a melee Falco on Final Destination.... How crazy would that be. The possibilities would be endless. Wolf is already pretty good in brawl, imagine him with all the technical skill of melee at his disposal. It would be a sight to behold.

When I lost a game in melee, I always looked at where I messed up and worked hard on improving that aspect of my game until I got it right. The same cannot be said for brawl. Upon loosing a game in brawl I would shrug my shoulders and feel like it was nothing. No " c'mon son, one more time", no more " Imma get you next time son" or " I see your strategy, its on son"...none of that. The emotional attachment was all gone. Its more of a "whatever" attitude with brawl, whereas in melee, my heart pumped with excitement when my opponent and I were down to our last stock. Im no longer at the edge of my seat, I feel like a drone playing brawl.

Now this is coming from a competitive standpoint. Ofcoarse casual gamers will favor brawl GAMEPLAY over melee's because of its simplicity and ease of play. I just find joy in gaining new levels of expertise, and it seems brawl leaves a lot to be desired in that department.

FINAL VERDICT: Brawl for now....MELEE FOR LIFE!!!

Apples

Smash Apprentice
Brawl has completely disappointed me in every way except for graphics. The game looks nice, but it's just not. Fairly deceptive if you ask me.

Lumpy..

Smash Ace
how many of you like good games over mediocre games?
pretty much the BEST POST EVER!!!!
haha i think you should go to allisballs.com and spam that over and over again...
(noone will get it)
haha

i like brawl more than being smart...
and i heart men...
i like how you say you'd cover your face if you were on the melee development team...
and follow it up with, "brawl is a solid game"
then you go and call people ignorant for accusing you of bashing melee...
after reading your posts...
i've decided that you are an idiot...
all in favor, say, "i hate alondike!"

I HATE ALONDIKE!!!!
which means i will be an immature child while posting in references to you...

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
both games are glitchy as hell. both games are great as hell.
Whether its wavedashing and up-grabbing, or glidetossing and stage scarring
my personal opinion is that brawl > melee. The only things I like about melee more is L-cancelling and no tripping.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
god ****it

with the site being flooded by all these new people here for brawl, smashboards has become just another site for smash bros. in general.

i'm not saying casual smash is a bad thing...but this was supposed to be the HUB of competitive smash.

GIVE IT BACK

ADHD

Smash Hero
i like both of them but Melee has more depth but maybe something will happen with brawl
Even if they discovered wavedashing, L canceling, and any other fun thing, it doesn't change the fact that sakurai is an *******!

EVERYONE UNITE

Let's all join brawl and main ice climbers, and abuse their chain grabs so badly, and see how people once more say "brawl is balanced."

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I dunno guys, I will always appreciate Melee as the one that is more in depth and takes more skill competitive wise, but I've been playing Brawl a lot more now and I think it's definitely a party game that's a lot of fun.

golden_leeroy

Smash Journeyman
Let's all join brawl and main ice climbers, and abuse their chain grabs so badly, and see how people once more say "brawl is balanced."
I've done this already, and the game is still boring!
I was all, "Oh look, at least I can still partially d-synch the Ice Climbers...wtf Brawl?"
I need a healthy dose of Melee right now.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
Well, you can help us out by asking a moderator to delete your account. The amount of ignorance would drop by .8% per new user, and people like you who talk while still ignorant promotes conversations based off of crappy reasoning and biased opinions.

I beat Kirby Dreamland (NES) in under 45 minutes without the UFO glitch. And you know what? Super Metroid is still my favorite game. I can't beat it fast, because I have a need to get every single item, but I still love that game. So, you can love MP3 because you can beat it quickly, but it doesn't change the fact that you were bad at melee. Those game don't translate.

So, stop whining about smashboards when you are a contributer to the problem.
You are clearly a moron. Can you not read? I basically said that I was better at MP1 than MP3, but prefer to play MP3. It's completely relevant to my point: I'm better at Melee than Brawl, but still prefer to play Brawl. If your brain worked properly you might have been able to figure that out without me having to spell it out for you. You know what I find amusing? How you have yet to back up anything you have said with anything of any sort of intelligence, logic, or relevance.

Also, crappy reasoning and biased opinions? Brawl is/has, in FACT:

More balance between characters
Has more characters
More stages
Fewer bugs (at least so far)
More game modes
Online play
More collectibles
FAR superior soundtrack
Overall more, and more refined content

And what does that all add up to? Well, more game, and better game. Brawl having a less developed metagame 2 months after it's stateside release DOES NOT mean that Melee is a better game in any way shape or form. Melee is faster paced, but that's about the only concrete argument one could have toward Melee being a BETTER game. So until I hear some kind of relevant reasoning behind anything you say, you're filed under the "Moron" category.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
GAMEPLAY.... the weighing factor in this decision.

Brawl has greatly expanded in every other aspect except this one... the most important one IMO. Gameplay is what keeps the gamer coming back after all levels are complete, all the goodies are won, and all the characters are accounted for. When it comes down to the bare bones of a game, no matter how many characters there are or trophies you win, what keeps you coming back is the fun of the Gameplay.

Melee's GAMEPLAY is much better IMO...any experienced player can justify this. In the interest of financial profit from a larger group of gamers, Brawl has been dumbed down to fit the criteria of the casual gamer, hence removing most of the thrill of investing time to cultivate combos, timing, etc...This is because the game is meant to keep gameplay boringly even.

When I was 1st introduced to the advanced melee tactics, a whole new world opened up for me and the room for improvement grew exponentially. Even before the advanced techs I knew there were many technical aspects that could be deciphered in melee.

As an experienced ssb64, and melee player, playing brawl for a couple months now I can honestly say that it seems there is a lack of depth in the GAMEPLAY. Theres just an empty feeling that this game can never fill the way melee did. A deep competitive void. So much has been removed from the gameplay and It seems that all characters have suffered.

If your an experienced melee players out there who at least knows about and have seen advanced techniques implemented think about this... (Imagine the potential of Wolf, Wario, or even Zero Suit Samus if they were in melee. Really... close your eyes and just imagine a melee Wolf if fighting a melee Falco on Final Destination.... How crazy would that be. The possibilities would be endless. Wolf is already pretty good in brawl, imagine him with all the technical skill of melee at his disposal. It would be a sight to behold.

When I lost a game in melee, I always looked at where I messed up and worked hard on improving that aspect of my game until I got it right. The same cannot be said for brawl. Upon loosing a game in brawl I would shrug my shoulders and feel like it was nothing. No " c'mon son, one more time", no more " Imma get you next time son" or " I see your strategy, its on son"...none of that. The emotional attachment was all gone. Its more of a "whatever" attitude with brawl, whereas in melee, my heart pumped with excitement when my opponent and I were down to our last stock. Im no longer at the edge of my seat, I feel like a drone playing brawl.

Now this is coming from a competitive standpoint. Ofcoarse casual gamers will favor brawl GAMEPLAY over melee's because of its simplicity and ease of play. I just find joy in gaining new levels of expertise, and it seems brawl leaves a lot to be desired in that department.

FINAL VERDICT: Brawl for now....MELEE FOR LIFE!!!

The only things, gameplay-wise that were removed from Brawl were things like wavedashing, l-canceling, etc. which were almost all in fact bugs or exploits of the game engine. What self-respecting developer would leave in such things if they broke the game balance and narrowed it down to a few play-worthy characters and stages? It's essentially scrapping most of the game. A half dozen useful characters in a cast of over 20 does not speak well about a game. Competitive value is irrelevant to a vast majority of developers. Sakurai is dumb because he chose to remove bugs and exploits, and to make a PARTY game more accessible? Hm....that sounds...I don't know....smart if you ask me. Saying that removing bugs and exploits from a game is dumb...that's just absurd. Sakurai did what any good developer would do. You are the one throwing out unreasonable ideas and biased opinions, not me. And for the record, I never said "I like Brawl so so do you" I said to stop complaining that Brawl is not Melee 2, that it has programming errors removed, and either just give it a chance, or don't play it at all.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Please Alondite... your arguments have already been exhausted by many people. Most ATs are not bugs and exploits and most of it was added into the game on purpose. Contrary to what you said, many people play well with ALL characters, and the tier system only applies at the top level of play. If you believe Smash bros. is a party game then why are you here? Have you no idea why Smashboards was and still is popular? Finally, nobody who had been waiting for Brawl thought it was going to be Melee 2.0. It is worse for other reasons like the fact that shield grabbing is broken now and that camping is pretty much the best strategy. I guess nobody else wanted to waste their time telling you what has been told to countless idiots before you, but there you go.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Thanks Reaper, I knew that's what he said. :laugh:

You are clearly a moron.
Obviously. I'm arguing with you.
Can you not read?
Well, it's apparent you can't write.
I basically said that I was better at MP1 than MP3, but prefer to play MP3.
No, I'm pretty sure Pink just showed you that is what you didn't say.
]It's completely relevant to my point: I'm better at Melee than Brawl, but still prefer to play Brawl.
I highly doubt that.
If your brain worked properly...
Trust me, it doesn't. I'm a perverted, *******, sick son-of-a-*****.
...you might have been able to figure that out without me having to spell it out for you.
Well, if your spelling is anywhere as good as your writing, it's no wonder I got so lost.
You know what I find amusing? How you have yet to back up anything you have said with anything of any sort of intelligence, logic, or relevance.
Until your post, neither had you hot shot.
Also, crappy reasoning and biased opinions? Brawl is/has, in FACT:

More balance between characters
No, no no, that's not a ****ing opinion at all or anything...
Has more characters
More stages
Fewer bugs (at least so far)
That is if you don't count the numerous infinites that have already been found which is WAY worse than anything that just helped you move around faster...
More game modes
Online play
Hardly
More collectibles
Perfect for any fighting game
FAR superior soundtrack
Overall more, and more refined content
Yes, refined. Like how you go extremely slow, just so that it's easier for all those 11 year olds playing the game. You also forgot to mention:

Tripping
Characters have incredible edge grab ranges
Multiple air dodges with no movement on them
Certain characters will never see professional tournament play.
Power shields don't reflect in a CAMPING PROMOTING GAME!
It's easier to power shield
The hardest part of the game is approaching
Super Armor
More bad stages and the re-occurrence of bad ones

And what does that all add up to? Well, more game, and better game.
So... they took stuff out and put little in and that makes for more of a game? Well, if my reading is bad, then I can say that your math is off the charts... and not in the direction that would make you feel good.
Brawl having a less developed metagame 2 months after it's stateside release DOES NOT mean that Melee is a better game in any way shape or form.
Uh... yeah it does. It means, right now at least, melee is a better game because it can be played better than Brawl can. You said. I say it. They admit it. Melee is better than Brawl until they find some way to push the game to the preverbial "next level."
Melee is faster paced, but that's about the only concrete argument one could have toward Melee being a BETTER game.
So, by this logic, if I go and take counter strike and put in a low gravity mod along with giving everyone more health and making it so that certain guns can stun lock people until they die, I'll have a more competitive game? A better game? If so, then I'm going to get to work on that code!
So until I hear some kind of relevant reasoning behind anything you say, you're filed under the "Moron" category.
And now that I'm done obliterating your post, I can place you in the "Generic new guy who likes Brawl because it's the new thing and they sucked at melee so they are tieing themselves to it because now they can beat their friends be spamming buttons to win" or GNGWLBBINTTSMSTATTIBNTCBTFBSBW'ers.

Top Bottom