• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many of you like melee over brawl?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Did you really need to quote his whole wall of text just to say that rofl
Yes I did. I read it, and I thought "I should quote that part and point out its wrong" and then I thought "**** it, I'll be lazy and quote the whole **** thing"

On a side note, Miharu, have you seen a pro ganon by the name of Kage around anywhere, he's got the same avatar as you.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
oops >___>

3:52 am johns

the point was that she wasn't top by any stretch of the imagination. she wasn't breaking even with turnips and they could be dealt with because you could see them coming >_>

Miharu

Smash Hero
You can just cut everything that's irrelevant in the quoted post.

Pretty sure Kage has Ganon as his avatar.

Shaolin-Ninja

Smash Apprentice
I like both, though I've not actually played Brawl myself yet. I guess I'll like them in different ways, Brawl mainly because of all the cool new characters, and Melee because of the competitiveness.

Renth

Smash Hero
i'm not going to go on a rant about how much I like melee more than brawl. I'd just like to add Brawl has about as much tech skill as Pong and is slower than a blonde doing math.

i'm more irriated with all the new ******* poping up all over the forums with 2 post count, joined yesterday thinking they run the place. Their threads and posts are about as useful as Helen Keller. Is this seriously what the community is turning into? :dizzy: And who's bright idea was "clans" groups of random people who will never meet each other and calling themselves good?

Over all, Brawl is slower and about as competitve as playing Marco Polo with a deaf man. It's fun, but that's what it'll always be to me. Fun and nothing else.

Swords4life44

Smash Rookie
I live in Ohio. Which is in the United States. Whi
Where Brawl had the power, graphics, and story, melee had atmosphere and music to create a defining game of it's time. With the system it was played on, it was definatly ahead of it's time in my idea, but Brawl took it a step further. Repetition being a key danger of many fighting games like this is thwarted with a swift kick in the head with Subspace Emissary, leaving the player satisfied with all the new stuff and secrets. A good add on was the Checkilist window breaking that let players have a look at what they can get, and adding in the choice to play certain music made it a personal experience for all. A downside on Brawls behalf was the target challenge being only five difficulty levels and all the same for each charachter, but nothing that can't be overlooked. Besides, nintendo didn't make another Mario Party, they made Super Smash Bros., a fighting game, NOT a minigame.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
That is a very inaccurate post, that emphasized aspects of the game that don't really matter.

Melee had some of the best graphics on GC, especially since it was a fighting game. Compared to SSB, it was a major step up.

The checklist isn't something that I'd buy the game for. However, excellent gameplay is.
Also, SSE has a terrible story and repetitive gameplay. The only redeeming factor is the cutscenes.

"definetly" is spelled d-e-f-i-n-e-t-l-y. I'm so tired of people spelling that word wrong.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I hear Guilty Gear is a lot more technical that Melee. I haven't played it before, but I read about it's technical aspect and it seems a lot more complicated and precise than Melee.

But I do agree that Melee is probably somewhere up there. Most fighting games have combinations that automatically start the "zomg, pwnzor attack" but in Melee, you actually have to be paying attention to the percentages and the enemy's movements to do an awesome combo. That takes more skill IMO, but it doesn't take more tech skill when compared to a few other games like Guilty Gear and Melty Blood.

Also:

Renth is a prophet.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Melee for skill, Brawl for extreme random fun (though I hate random most of the time).

I was really looking forward to wavedashing and L-canceling with Meta Knight too :(

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Umm, it's apples and oranges, at least at the moment. Brawl's meta-game has barely been started. Melee's is almost fully known, basically, if not fully known. And stop expecting a meta-game to randomly pop-up. Brawl isn't Melee 2.0, in case you didn't get the memo when it was called "Super Smash Bros. Brawl". There will be new techs. Hell, there's already dozens of new techs. Overall, I think in time Brawl will be better. More balance, better stages (actually good stages on average; the average Melee stage blows [compared to Brawl and smash 64, especially]), more balanced items (oddly enough >_<), and diffrent gameplay. More simple gameplay, yet more complex at the same time. I definitely like Brawl more at this point then I did with Melee. >_>

For the final f***ing time though, a meta-game just doesn't pop-up in the first second. It is developed over years. Stop being 4chan steriotypes, and play the god d*** game for some of you Brawl-haters because it's not Melee 2.0. New game, new physics, new moves, new techniques. God d***, this is the dumbest thread ever. Some of you are making 4chan look smart. :laugh:

Corigames

Smash Hero
Umm, it's apples and oranges, at least at the moment. Brawl's meta-game has barely been started. Melee's is almost fully known, basically, if not fully known. And stop expecting a meta-game to randomly pop-up. Brawl isn't Melee 2.0, in case you didn't get the memo when it was called "Super Smash Bros. Brawl". There will be new techs. Hell, there's already dozens of new techs. Overall, I think in time Brawl will be better. More balance, better stages (actually good stages on average; the average Melee stage blows [compared to Brawl and smash 64, especially]), more balanced items (oddly enough >_<), and diffrent gameplay. More simple gameplay, yet more complex at the same time. I definitely like Brawl more at this point then I did with Melee. >_>

For the final f***ing time though, a meta-game just doesn't pop-up in the first second. It is developed over years. Stop being 4chan steriotypes, and play the god d*** game for some of you Brawl-haters because it's not Melee 2.0. New game, new physics, new moves, new techniques. God d***, this is the dumbest thread ever. Some of you are making 4chan look smart. :laugh:
You found 4chan. You win the internet scavenger hunt. Don't you feel enlightened?

Have you ever picked up a game and then decided it was bad. That's how some people feel about this. Like when you go look for a girlfriend. I, personally, am very biased. No fatties. Maybe if you give them time, they're cool people. But I don't like them from the get go. It's just not my thing. But if fatties are your thing...

So, I'm going to stick to melee instead of fatties.

iNiGhTmAr3

Smash Apprentice
I don't like brawls slower pace and tripping is the worst idea ever
Yeah the tripping is sooooo annoying...I got smashed while tripping so many times.

And the slower pace is lame too, but I still like Brawl. It's not TERRIBLE, but it is not as good as Melee for sure. There are a lot of things to do in Brawl and I like to play it for fun. Melee is still a better game for competition hands down.

Oh and another sick fighting game is Marvel vs Capcom 2...I wish there could be a third one :( .

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
I play both games, I've put a LOT of time into Brawl, I'm REALLY trying to like it. And to an extent I do like it. But Melee is a better game. It's a better game, and I enjoy playing it more.

FoulPlay

Smash Lord
I keep switching back and forward between the two...
I feel like Melee is better at the moment, I've been playing Brawl for a couple of days without playing Melee, and Brawl just isn't appealing right now. This is possibly because I'm a Melee Falcon main and I miss Falcon due the fact he sucks in brawl, well, changed, not sucks.

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
Melee was rigged at a competitive level...
Brawl is good at a competitive level if you actually know how to chain... It's really easy. People are just lazy, just like when melee just came out... Everyone said omg too fast, it's only 1 2 3 hit combos.

Cbone

Smash Journeyman

okay i'm really getting tired of this "melee 2.0" thing. Me and my friend played melee competitively and then when brawl came out he liked it, i thought it was okay, but different so i decided to play SC. I asked him to play SC and when he began to crique it i told him it wasn't melee 2.0 so he should give it a chance o.O. BASICALLY i'm pretty sure we know it's not 2.0, that doesn't mean we have to like it if we liked melee a lot.

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
Also:

Renth is a prophet.
thats definaetly hilarious!

here's one of my earliest posts back in the day.
"hey falcon uses different hands to taunt when you stand with him facing you and stand with his back to your face. its like a mirror move. so hes doing different actions depending which way u face him."

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Smash Bros. is my favorite game series. Melee was and is my favorite game of all time. I played it to death with my friends. I used the ATs, but not too much, since I wanted to play at around the same level they did. It was all fun.

Now that Brawl has rolled by and I've played it extensively, I have to say that I love it to death. Will it surpass my love of Melee? Who cares?

I have no problems with Brawl's gameplay, since Melee wasn't fully developed less than a month after release, but it wouldn't hurt if some techs were discovered RIGHT NOW. :p

Love both games, I say!
TOTAL QFT! If only people weren't so close-minded, and hated a game after playing it for 10 minutes, and tried to look deeper. Melee didn't reach it's full potential until 4 or 5 years, no? Simply put, leave it to the "SUPER AWSOME Y34HDUD3!!!" to win a thread! :)

okay i'm really getting tired of this "melee 2.0" thing. Me and my friend played melee competitively and then when brawl came out he liked it, i thought it was okay, but different so i decided to play SC. I asked him to play SC and when he began to crique it i told him it wasn't melee 2.0 so he should give it a chance o.O. BASICALLY i'm pretty sure we know it's not 2.0, that doesn't mean we have to like it if we liked melee a lot.
I'm not aiming it at you, though. I'm aiming it at the PEOPLE who EXPECT A GAME'S ENTIRE META-GAME TO APPEAR IN 2 F***ING SECONDS OF PLAY! People did this with smash 64. They expect all the previous smash game's meta-game to carry over, or if it doesn't, they expect the meta-game to just pop-up. They want the same thing over and over again. Well that gets boring. They judge the game's total competitve levels in 2 seconds. That's it. It's smash 64 all over again. They tarnish the smash bros. competitve scene with their stupidity, and lack of patience by saying Brawl sucks in the competitve aspect. These things take time, 3 to 5 years of time AT LEAST-not 2 months.

Explain this before mind implosions occur.
Simple is what smash bros. is. It's really the only 2-button fighting game. Every other fighting game is basically 4 button. Smash bros. is unrealistic as f***, and simple as f***. You can pick up and play, right off the bat. It's that simple. There is less focus on doing small, minute things. L-cancelling is automatic. EdgeHugging is a new advanced tech that is faster then wavedashing into edegehogging. Movement is easier. Passing through platforms isn't annoying as f***. You don't focus on minor movement details, you focus, on the tactics now, and the techniques. The techniques we have and will discover. The over 50 techniques we've already found. We've already found more techniques since E for All then Melee in the first year. That's how many we've found. The competitve meta-game is shaping up to focus more on tactics and the most advanced techniques rather then basic movements like wavedashing (wavedashing is a basic advanced techniqued...well, competitvely, at least; contradicting! :psycho:).

Not sure if that makes sense, but simply put, more focus on strategy, approach, and the most advanced of the advanced techniques, since most other things are easier (to pull off). ;)

You found 4chan. You win the internet scavenger hunt. Don't you feel enlightened?

Have you ever picked up a game and then decided it was bad. That's how some people feel about this. Like when you go look for a girlfriend. I, personally, am very biased. No fatties. Maybe if you give them time, they're cool people. But I don't like them from the get go. It's just not my thing. But if fatties are your thing...

So, I'm going to stick to melee instead of fatties.
Please. Stop with the stupid analogies that prove nothing, and let's cut to the chase.

Have you ever heard of when we first got Melee? People were pissed. Less DI, by a HUGGGEEE MARGIN! The best and worst characters were more obvious. In other words, tiers had a bigger influence on the overall gameplay. The average stage wasn't very good, AT ALL! Tons of bad stages. Fewer neutral stages. Tons of bad characters. Tons of clones (6 or 7). Too fast movement for them. More lag, and L-cancelling was nerfed (by about half the lag). Platform drop shielding (or whatever it's called) was cut. No taunt cancelling. Less balanced gameplay. Dropping through platforms was somewhat glitchy, and somewhat harder. Tons of glitchiness was visable, with glitchiness basically everywhere. But in time, we came around to Melee. WE FOUND NEW TECHNIQUES. We MADE new meta-games. We MADE a NEW COMPETTIVE GAME!

With Melee to Brawl, we've got no wavedashing. Wavelanding, L-cancelling, and dash dancing were all nerfed. There seems to be as many clones (though in reality, there aren't any). Slower moving speed. Drop shielding is back. More stage interferences (though most you have to be run ito home-run bat swings retarted to get hit by them, or you have to be hit into them by an opponent). But with all that, WE'VE FOUND TONS OF NEW TECHNIQUES ALREADY! WE'LL FIND MORE! We'll make NEW meta-games! We WILL MAKE A NEW COMPETITVE GAME! Perfect shielding, better tiers, better stages, no glitchy platforms, snap cancelling, edge hugging, more DI, more DI-influence, dash shielding, the ability to use multiple air dodges in air, grab turnarounds, fox trotting, pivoting, reverse aerial rushes, dash shield grabbing, DLX cancels, slide cancels, etc. O, and most importantly, by the third to fifth time you use an attack, the move's damage and DI knockback is HALVED or more then HALVED! In Melee, the damage dropped minimally, and in smash 64 the attacks only lost a tad bit of DI knockback after like the 20th time. This means less abusive moves. But you can combo the same move=skill, and strategy. >_<

Seriously just look at this thread, and tell me Brawl has no competitve future. You would be proven wrong. And that, is just the beginning. There will be a new technique almost, as, or more influential then wavedashing (wavedashing is overrated, anyways[ though it looks cool when you do it, lol!; L-cancelling is far superior). We'll find NEW moves. We'll CREATE (not recreate) and MAKE (not recreate) everything to the best of everything's ability.

The same is happening with Brawl. history is repeating itself, and some (like you, Mr. Know-it-all) are too stupid to see what's happening. This is a NEW GAME! A NEW GAME! We have to make a new meta-game. We didn't even get most of Melee down until 2004. We didn't find almost all the techniques until about 2005. 99% of the people who said they liked Smash 64 more then Melee after playing Melee changed their close-minded, impatient, and unvisionary minds. I can guarentee you the same will happen with Brawl. There's nothing wrong with liking Melee more then Brawl. But if you're expecting a meta-game to pop-up in the first day, week, or even year, you gotta be retarted. Smash 64's meta-game wasn't fully developed until like 4 years after it's release. Melee wasn't any diffrent. In fact, Melee's probably took longer. So why are you expecting Brawl to be SOOO DIFFRENT, and develop competitvely in the first month?

However, I'm going to be a "true smasher", and play all 3 smash games, instead of just playing one. Each have their positives. Each have their negatives. Regardless of which smash game is your favorite-if you play all three, you are playing smash the way it should be played. The way smash is suppose to and created to be played. It's like Mario (canon games; sorry Party post Mario Party 3, you suck!). You can like the new ones, but you gotta respect the classics. They're all good, so no matter which one is your favorite, you made a correct decision. But don't cross the new one off because Mario has diffrent or less jump moves/moves. :cool:

Hamsamwich

Smash Rookie
I agree i prefer melee, but my bro likes brawl more because he suicide kills with gannon bowser. But i prefer melee for a different reason. they just keep making my mains worse and worse (mains: yoshi DK Jiggly puff Captian falcon) and am i imagining it or did they make yoshi's flutter shorter?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
This is actually the first time I've evern liked Yoshi and the Puff (in Brawl), lol! Everyone is just...diffrent. Like from smash 64 to Melee. Some characters you'll adapt to with the change. Some you won't. You'll play veterans you never thought you'd play. Hell, Zero Suit Samus, Pikachu, and Sonic-the three characters I was least hyped for (the later because everyone was and is going to main him), I now use. ZSS is my second best character to, lol! I never thought I'd play Marth either, and I'm LOVING HIM!

Smash is truely a series full of surprises. Although I must say-Yoshi, Donkey Kong, and Jigglypuff are heavily changed. I think they are better, though Puff is about the same. Maybe it's because of the style change, or something. >_< Captain Falcon is...diffrent...yet the same. He's...well....hard to describe. I like some things, and don't like others. The only really nerfed characters from Melee are Falco, Fox, Shiek, and Marth (if I hear Marth's Final Smash is broken, I'll laugh). And they nerfed almost perfectly (though Marth is still overrated=coming from a Brawl Marth user user! >_<)

Cbone

Smash Journeyman
JohnKnight1, i will not quote your whole speech, but you should feel proud. This, in my opinion, has been the only good argument for brawl in the history of this thread=P. You lifted the bar from "rawr brawl is better because it's new and i have 1 post count!" to what you posted above. Although i am still sad about melee leaving, but i wont give brawl as hard of a time anymore. I came into the scene near melee's end so i didn't know much about the history, just trying to get my falco to be good =P.

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
Just adapt experience and stop whining...
all this talk about brawl being bad because they took out the so called `advanced techs` is as bad as when people were whining about the change from street fighter 2 to street fighter 3. If you`re playing brawl don`t expect melee... Same as if you`re playing smash melee don`t expect Smash 64.

And for the heck of it if your playing yoshi`s island 2, don`t expect yoshi`s island one. If you`re playing legend of zelda 2, don`t expect legend of zelda 1. The list is infinite...

Cbone

Smash Journeyman
Just adapt experience and stop whining...
all this talk about brawl being bad because they took out the so called `advanced techs` is as bad as when people were whining about the change from street fighter 2 to street fighter 3. If you`re playing brawl don`t expect melee... Same as if you`re playing smash melee don`t expect Smash 64.

And for the heck of it if your playing yoshi`s island 2, don`t expect yoshi`s island one. If you`re playing legend of zelda 2, don`t expect legend of zelda 1. The list is infinite...
sorry, i dont like that argument because there are LOTS of sequals where the games have been EXACTLY the same as the previous ones, with just things added on to them, VERY LITTLE removed, if anything. For example, pokemon series, mario 1-3, etc...also in reference to you saying dont expect zelda II to be zelda I...makes me sad=P because every 1 could only have hoped that zelda II could be as good as zelda I , but zelda II sucked in comparison...

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
sorry, i dont like that argument because there are LOTS of sequals where the games have been EXACTLY the same as the previous ones, with just things added on to them, VERY LITTLE removed, if anything. For example, pokemon series, mario 1-3, etc...also in reference to you saying dont expect zelda II to be zelda I...makes me sad=P because every 1 could only have hoped that zelda II could be as good as zelda I , but zelda II sucked in comparison...
I said don't expect it not that they won't be...
and you're examples are not correct... Mario 1-3 is completely different from one another. Lost world is 4x more the difficulty. Pokemon has additions, new pokemon types, new gym leaders, new world, new combat system (double battles), move coding alterations (some moves becomes less powerful), pokemon customization and much more. Zelda 2 was a good game, you might of had not liked it because it was called zelda and the style didn't fit your expectations, or maybe because you don't like the style but that's just you not liking it the game is still good...

Maybe you would of had liked it more if it wasn't called zelda, who knows?
I know a lot more people who would of had enjoyed twilight princess if it was the same thing but with another theme and skin.

Cbone

Smash Journeyman
also you further proved my point in saying this "Mario 1-3 is completely different from one another. Lost world is 4x more the difficulty. Pokemon has additions, new pokemon types, new gym leaders, new world, new combat system (double battles), move coding alterations (some moves becomes less powerful), pokemon customization and much more." ...i said that there was nothing removed only added, when in brawl there were lots removed =S...so you proved my point..

Top Bottom