• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many of you actively utilize foot stooling? Why or why not?

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
I completely forgot about foot stooling until about an hour ago when I was reading something about brawl. It's still in P:M, but it's been forever since I've read or heard any mention of it.

What are everyones thoughts on foot stooling in general?

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I don't really see the use for it. Of all the hundred+ matches I've watched for PM, never once have I seen someone use it. It might be used for gimping, I suppose, but there are probably far better options.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
It is a frame 1 attack that can be mashed with no fail window assuming the positioning is right. The jump upward is more of a problem than a help, and makes it so only the likes of Wario can get much benefit from them. Just about every other character has better ways to followup in a combo.

Still though, it'll be an almost assured way to stop Yoshi's recovery, since his armor ends if he tries to attack, leaving him even more prone.

xXDarkRisingXx

Smash Apprentice
On pm, it might be almost useless do to the fast paced Gameplay. But its Though really situational but its useful in basic brawl on characters with a bad vertical recovery. But if I want to gimp someone, I rather do it by edge guarding. But I do occasionally Foot stool by accident Well edge guardIng. But other then that. I really dont use it do to the chance of being gimped or foot stooled myself

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
It's actually a good option for characters that lack spiking/meteors in their attacks.

I live in mortal fear of the day a good Fox incorporates footstooling into his play. Imagine the sheer "That ain't Falco"-ness.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Since my Up-Taunt is mapped to my ZL button for taunt canceling goodness, I actually do use footstooling sometimes. Mainly for shenanigans to piss off my friends.

It does help to get out of tight spots sometimes, though.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
I don't personally use it since it's a little awkward to do, even with it being set to my L-button. Maybe I should start trying to do it with Pikachu, since he doesn't have a meteor or spike otherwise... hm...

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Just checked a few Wario matches. Kink-link is right, it may be useful in some situations and Wario can follow up with a Dair. Check out Strong Bad's Wario, I saw him footstooling a few times at the last Wavedash Wednesday.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
I mostly find it unnecessary and usually a gimmicky option. I would use it more, though it would require me to adjust my Gamecube controller settings to unfavorable conditions. Therefore, I don't use it.

I use L for shielding, R for DACUS smashes, Y for jumps, X for grabs, Z for jump (easier JC grabs), A for attack, and B for special. I find all the buttons necessary for what I need to do, so even if I wanted to use footstools, I simply don't have the room for it.

DiamondDust

Prime Time Player
NNID
MaysTheCraze
Completely forgot you could do it. Hell, I didn't even do it in regular Brawl. It's so situational that even when you could use it, you could probably do something more reliable instead.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
I mostly find it unnecessary and usually a gimmicky option. I would use it more, though it would require me to adjust my Gamecube controller settings to unfavorable conditions. Therefore, I don't use it.

I use L for shielding, R for DACUS smashes, Y for jumps, X for grabs, Z for jump (easier JC grabs), A for attack, and B for special. I find all the buttons necessary for what I need to do, so even if I wanted to use footstools, I simply don't have the room for it.
up on the d-pad bro

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
up on the d-pad bro
1) I already knew this.
2) I don't really like trying to make my fingers crawl towards the D-Pad when I am trying to move with my character.
3) I still find footstooling stupid and unnecessary, for the most part.

xXDarkRisingXx

Smash Apprentice
Like i said on my earlier comment, foot stool is situational. Smash players can do without it. But if you catch someone with it and capitalize On it. Good for you. But its a really risky and very situational gimping mechanic and one I feel we don't really need.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Reflex uses it regularly. Ivy can manipulate her vertical momentum quite well, so he gets thing out of it.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
You can footstool invincible characters (they won't react), so characters that can act out of their up-B can use it to circumvent being ledge hogged. Can be vital for G&W, Snake, Sonic, and Yoshi.

Anybody who can change their momentum in air also benefits from the 1-frame attack that stuns

Footstool - dair Lucario
Footstool - dair/uair with Ivysaur
Footstool - dair Wario
Footstool - float - anything Peach
Footstool - float - anything Mewtwo
Footstool - Wizard Foot Ganondorf
Footstool - Tornado Mario (not GOOD, but doable)

More creatively:
Bomb-drop - footstool - dair with the Links.
Avoid shield grabs with Luigi
No damage wake-up for Jigglypuff in teams.

Anybody saying "useless" just hasn't been trying.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Eh it has it's uses and it's pretty spammable and fast. It kind of "stuns" the person you jump on and tosses you upwards. It's hard to incorporate consistently into your play style since there are many other options of things to do. So you won't see it much.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
At some percentages, Link can D-Throw>Short Hop>Footstool>Airdodge away>Z-Air. It puts you back on your feet, as well as the opponent, & because nobody uses footstooling, they don't expect it, & almost never tech.

xXDarkRisingXx

Smash Apprentice
At some percentages, Link can D-Throw>Short Hop>Footstool>Airdodge away>Z-Air. It puts you back on your feet, as well as the opponent, & because nobody uses footstooling, they don't expect it, & almost never tech.
How do you put the faces of the characters Like that where it says your pm mains?

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
The use is very situational but I bet most players miss more than 50% of all good opportunities to go for a footstool. There are also footstool combos Jigglypuff can do footstool->rest on Wario and I think on one other char too (dunno who) etc.

Jreed420

Smash Cadet
As a wario main I find it very useful when applicating dair pressure on peoples shields like double dair an instead of jumping footstool to save ur jump. Other than that flash points and I believe snake can downthrow footstool fox off the edge at low prevents fairly easily

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
How do you put the faces of the characters Like that where it says your pm mains?
Basically, it's typing ":[character name here]:" without the quotes. When typing, click the little smiley above the text box to display all of them. Mouse over them to see what to type, or just click on it to add it directly where the insertion point is.

thebaum64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebaum64

i think the default settings on the gamecube controller are perfect! I would play Brawl on my Wii U but then i don't have the controller :/ and i can't use the pro controller.

leelue

Smash Lord
I hate footstooling like poison. It's one of the only universal mechanics that literally only like 4 characters can use without being ******** for trying it. And it has no fail window and it is stupid and I hate brawl and shut up I'm right.

thebaum64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebaum64
I hate footstooling like poison. It's one of the only universal mechanics that literally only like 4 characters can use without being ******** for trying it. And it has no fail window and it is stupid and I hate brawl and shut up I'm right.
like poison lol its like death to you hahaha

Top Bottom