• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many newcomers will we get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Brawl had 18 newcomers overall. Sakurai has said there will be less newcomers than brawl to focus on older characters. Taking that into consideration I would say the worst case scenario is 10 newcomers while the best case scenario will be 14.

Somewhere between (and including) 10 and 14.

Some of that accounts from me thinking we'll see 2 or 3 cuts though.
Sry to ask but where he said that will be less newcomers?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Hoping for 12 - 15, but I have no way of knowing. In reality, I'd probably say there will be less than that, if not potentially even half of that, by what Sakurai has said.

Such a shame, new characters are what makes this exciting. I was already wrong (by predicting too many) with Brawl, so that's why I'm predicting around 6 - 8 in reality..

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Jsteel3

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jsteel3
3DS FC
1263-6252-1703
I think it is worth noting that that comment is over a year old. It certainly does suggest that the amount of newcomers will be smaller than before, but Sakurai has a tendency to change his mind on things. We might still see a roster close to 50 characters.
Basically the real thing that we can take from this is that the roster will NOT be as big of a addition of new characters like from ssb to melee and then melee to brawl

Vez

Smash Apprentice
I expect 10 newcomers. I'd be incredibly surprised if we get more than 11 newcomers, but at the same time I'd be just as surprised if we get less than 8. 10 is a good number, I think.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I've set the bar at 10 + Mewtwo. I doubt Sakurai considers Mewtwo a newcomer, and if we get 10 newcomers and Mewtwo, that sets the roster at a solid 50. Perfectly reasonable.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
We may just have the least newcomers of any smash game. Anyone care to make a list of the remaining popular nintendo all stars left to put in the game.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
We may just have the least newcomers of any smash game. Anyone care to make a list of the remaining popular nintendo all stars left to put in the game.
There is enough for a LOT of newcomers, I can guarantee you that.

Richard Nixon

Smash Apprentice
I'm guessing around 10. Maybe plus a few, hopefully not minus a few. This time around, the developers seem more interested in balancing and fleshing out the characters we have than buffing out the roster with loads of new ones. And the newcomers we do get will probably have a lot of thought and time put into them - just don't expect too many of them.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am most likely going to miss some, but here are the names that are thrown around a lot. If the character isn't necessarily requested a lot, I am still going to list them if they are prominent and prevalent to their respective franchises. For instance, Tom Nook is rarely requested; however, he is undoubtely one of the most important and iconic characters from Animal Crossing. Another example, Waddle Dee (Bandanna Dee) is not anticipated as many assert that Kirby doesn't need another representative; however, this isn't a prediction list, this is an all-star list.

1. Mewtwo or Zoroark or Meowth or Blaziken or Greninja
2. Ridley
3. King K. Rool or Dixie Kong or Cranky Kong
4. Palutena or Medusa or Hades
5. Bowser Jr. or Waluigi or Toad or Paper Mario
6. Little Mac or King Hippo
7. Shulk
8. Isaac or Matthew
9. Mii
10. Chrom or Roy or Robin or Lyn
11. Black Shadow or Samurai Goroh
12. Waddle Dee
13. Toon Zelda or Tingle or Impa or Vaati
14. Krystal
15. Porky

I am not well-versed in WarioWare or Yoshi, so I am not entirely sure if those franchises contain characters that are blatantly all-star material.

So, it appears that we are missing about 15, again, this list is not a prediction list. This is a list of all relevant characters pertinent to any given franchise that are notably missing from Smash. Not only that, but I tried to look at every franchise, including ones that many deem "complete" such as the Legend of Zelda, Star Fox, and Mother.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
This might be very presumptuous but never the less....

We got Rosalina in December, and now we've gotten Little Mac in February.

Let's say this is the start of a pattern and we get another newcomer two months later in April. Then another two months later E3 arrives and they sling out another three newcomers. (Probably one of them being Pac Man)

At this point we'll have 9 newcomers. I'm assuming the game is being released at some point between September and November.

I'd find it a little hard to believe that come release day there would only be 1 newcomer we don't know about. It's why I'm thinking we'll get 12 or 13 newcomers. (Or 11/12 newcomers and Mewtwo)

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Why three newcomers at E3? I know it was that number last time, but anything hype building could be revealed as a big part of the trailer/developer direct; some of the bosses, a new mode, Wii U pad content, a fully reworked veteran (Ganondorf, I'm looking at you), just to name a few examples. We'll certainly get atleast one big newcomer, and probably two as K.Rool and Mewtwo are the only two that really unite both Japanese and Western audiences... neither of which I see as likely picks for an E3 reveal (I see them more as the last developer direct before release).

Still, I do expect more than 10 newcomers, so I won't argue fiercely, just playing devil's advocate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom