• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many characters can complete every other characters' Target Tests?

Jackie Chandler

Smash Cadet
So, as I was messing around in 20XX with one of my friends, we started trying out some mismatched Target Tests. Samus's Target Test with Falco, Mario's Target Test with Pichu, etc.

It got us thinking - how many characters can complete every other Target Test?

Obviously, two big hurdles are Young Link's (because of the pit, target in the box, and bottom right one) and Jigglypuff's (because of the long stretch of targets with no floor), but there may be a couple others that could cause some issues with some characters.

So far, we know that Link, Mewtwo, Pichu, Pikachu, Samus, Young Link, and Zelda Jigglypuff can beat Young Link and Jigglypuff's Target Test, but we're not 100% on the other Target Tests.

Peach is one in particular that we're really not sure about, because we were never able to line the spinning bumpers up to get any of her thrown items in to the bottom right box in Young Link's Target Test, but it may still be possible.

Can anyone confirm if there are any other characters that can do all of them, or care to deny any of the ones we mentioned that can do Young Link/Jigg's?

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I feel like this should go to the 1-player section, but I'll start playing around with it on my own. Neat idea!

EDIT: Link can do everything, I just tested it. By the way, has anyone mentioned how strange Shiek's stage is? They have a stage for her (even though they never use it in the game) and it's just three targets on an untextured rectangle.

Last edited:

DeepDish

Smash Apprentice
I feel like this should go to the 1-player section, but I'll start playing around with it on my own. Neat idea!

EDIT: Link can do everything, I just tested it. By the way, has anyone mentioned how strange Shiek's stage is? They have a stage for her (even though they never use it in the game) and it's just three targets on an untextured rectangle.
That just sounds unfinished.

Jackie Chandler

Smash Cadet
OOPS. I'm sorry guys, I incorrectly mentioned that Zelda could do Jiggs's Target Test in the OP. She actually doesn't have a way of reaching the last two targets in the bottom left corner as far as I can tell.

The seventh character who can do Jiggs's/Young Link's Target Tests is Jigglypuff.

Try to figure out how to get the one in the box on Young Link's stage. I dare you.

Last edited:

The Young Izzy Iz

Smash Apprentice
OOPS. I'm sorry guys, I incorrectly mentioned that Zelda could do Jiggs's Target Test in the OP. She actually doesn't have a way of reaching the last two targets in the bottom left corner as far as I can tell.

The seventh character who can do Jiggs's/Young Link's Target Tests is Jigglypuff.

Try to figure out how to get the one in the box on Young Link's stage. I dare you.
Wavecheat into Fun-cancel'd Brosmash?

Bakasama

Smash Apprentice
People who can do :younglinkmelee: Target Test:
:mariomelee: Can do it! Very difficult, but can slip between the bumpers on the bottom right.
:samusmelee: Can do it! Dair locked box, down+b into bottom right room.
:gawmelee: Barely can reach top trunk / Have to DI into the bottom right room.
:sheikmelee: Can do it without Zelda. Chain is the magic tool here.
:pichumelee: Can do it!
:pikachumelee: Can do it!
:jigglypuffmelee: Locked box target hit with Sing, fall into bottom-right room.
:mewtwomelee: Can do it. All the pokemon can do it.

People who can't do :younglinkmelee: Target Test:
:drmario: Can't even get near scaling the trunk :(
:luigimelee: So close to scaling the trunk, doesn't seem possible.
:bowsermelee: Worse than Doc. (Can't get up trunk)
:peachmelee: Can get up trunk with bomber-stalls, can hit bottom right target with great accuracy, can't hit locked up target, even with bomb
:yoshimelee: :( (Can't get up trunk)
:dkmelee: Same as the Bows (Can't get up trunk)
:falconmelee: Can't hit bottom right target?
:ganondorfmelee: Can't get up trunk, can do some weird stuff down there though.
:falcomelee: Can't hit locked target, can't hit bottom right target.
:foxmelee: Same as Falco
:nessmelee: Can't get up trunk, upB too strong
:icsmelee: Cant hit the bottom right target? Every other target is possible, and you can take Nana with you.
:kirbymelee: Can't hit bottom right target. Closest attempt is Up+B
:zeldamelee: Can't get up trunk, even from initial spawn. Otherwise can do it without Sheik.
:marthmelee: Can't reach top of trunk.
:roymelee: Can't reach top of trunk.

Other Target Tests (No deaths allowed):
Dazwa denotes a 'Can't' for the character slot.
:drmario: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::samusmelee::zeldamelee::linkmelee::dazwa::pichumelee::pikachumelee::dazwa::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee:

:mariomelee: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::samusmelee::zeldamelee::linkmelee::younglinkmelee::pichumelee::pikachumelee::dazwa::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee:

:luigimelee: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::samusmelee::zeldamelee::linkmelee::dazwa::pichumelee::pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee:

:bowsermelee: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::dazwa::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::samusmelee::dazwa::linkmelee::dazwa::pichumelee::pikachumelee::dazwa::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee:

:peachmelee: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::samusmelee::zeldamelee::linkmelee::younglinkmelee::pichumelee::pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee::kirby:

:yoshimelee: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::samusmelee::zeldamelee::linkmelee::dazwa::pichumelee::pikachumelee::dazwa::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee:

:dkmelee: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::dazwa::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::samusmelee::dazwa::linkmelee::dazwa::pichumelee::pikachumelee::dazwa::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee:

:falconmelee: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::samusmelee::zeldamelee::linkmelee::dazwa::pichumelee::pikachumelee::dazwa::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee:

:ganondorfmelee: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::samusmelee::zeldamelee::linkmelee::dazwa::pichumelee::pikachumelee::dazwa::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee:

:falcomelee: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::samusmelee::zeldamelee::linkmelee::dazwa::pichumelee::pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee:

:foxmelee: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::samusmelee::zeldamelee::linkmelee::dazwa::pichumelee::pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee:

:nessmelee: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::samusmelee::zeldamelee::linkmelee::dazwa::pichumelee::pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee:

:icsmelee: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::samusmelee::zeldamelee::linkmelee::dazwa::pichumelee::pikachumelee::dazwa::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee:

:kirbymelee: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::zeldamelee::samusmelee::linkmelee::dazwa::pichumelee::pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee:

:samusmelee: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::samusmelee::zeldamelee::linkmelee::younglinkmelee::pichumelee::pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee::kirby:

:zeldamelee: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::samusmelee::zeldamelee::linkmelee::dazwa::pichumelee::pikachumelee::dazwa::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee:

:sheikmelee: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::samusmelee::zeldamelee::linkmelee::younglinkmelee::pichumelee::pikachumelee::dazwa::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee:

:linkmelee: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::samusmelee::zeldamelee::linkmelee::younglinkmelee::pichumelee::pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee::kirby:

:younglinkmelee: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::samusmelee::zeldamelee::linkmelee::younglinkmelee::pichumelee::pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee::kirby:

:pichumelee: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::samusmelee::zeldamelee::linkmelee::younglinkmelee::pichumelee::pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee::kirby:

:pikachumelee: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::samusmelee::zeldamelee::linkmelee::younglinkmelee::pichumelee::pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee::kirby:

:jigglypuffmelee: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::samusmelee::zeldamelee::linkmelee::younglinkmelee::pichumelee::pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee::kirby:

:mewtwomelee: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::samusmelee::zeldamelee::linkmelee::younglinkmelee::pichumelee::pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee::kirby:

:gawmelee: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::samusmelee::zeldamelee::linkmelee::younglinkmelee::pichumelee::pikachumelee::dazwa::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee:

:marthmelee: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::samusmelee::zeldamelee::linkmelee::dazwa::pichumelee::pikachumelee::dazwa::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee:

:roymelee: Can : :drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::samusmelee::zeldamelee::linkmelee::dazwa::pichumelee::pikachumelee::dazwa::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee:

Note: :zeldamelee: and :sheikmelee: together can complete :jigglypuffmelee:'s Targets, but alone neither of them can. This means that Sheilda can complete all the target tests :kirby:

Gfycats of the toughest targets! Some might not seem so tough, but they are when you can't fall yet!
:sheilda: on :jigglypuffmelee:'s Targets!
:nessmelee: on :jigglypuffmelee:'s Targets!
:pichumelee: on :jigglypuffmelee:'s Targets!
:samusmelee: on :jigglypuffmelee:'s Targets!
:kirbymelee: on :jigglypuffmelee:'s Targets! (Thanks to Jackie Chandler)
:peachmelee: on :yoshimelee:'s Targets!
:drmario: on :yoshimelee:'s Targets! (Thanks to Jackie Chandler)
:GCLT:on :younglinkmelee:'s Targets! (Same for most chars)
:pichumelee: on :younglinkmelee:'s Targets!
:GCLT:on :falcomelee:'s Targets! (Same for most chars)
:dkmelee: on :drmario:'s Targets! (Thanks to Jackie Chandler)

Most recent update: Mario can do YLink's targets.

Last edited:

Smash John

Smash Apprentice
People who can do :younglinkmelee: Target Test:
:mariomelee: ? (Can do most of it, getting the one between the bumpers with a fireball would require some insane TAS perfection but I believe is theoretically possible)
:sheikmelee: Can do it without Zelda. Chain is the magic tool here.
:pichumelee: Can do it!
:pikachumelee: Can do it!
:jigglypuffmelee: Can do it apparently, I can't figure out the bottom right. Locked box target hit with Sing.
:mewtwomelee: Can do it. All the pokemon can do it.

People who can't do :younglinkmelee: Target Test:
:drmario: Can't even get near scaling the trunk :(
:luigimelee: So close to scaling the trunk, doesn't seem possible.
:bowsermelee: Worse than Doc. (Can't get up trunk)
:peachmelee: Can get up trunk with bomber-stalls, can hit bottom right target with great accuracy, can't hit locked up target, even with bomb
:yoshimelee: :( (Can't get up trunk)
:dkmelee: Same as the Bows (Can't get up trunk)
:falconmelee: Can't hit bottom right target?
:ganondorfmelee: Can't get up trunk, can do some weird stuff down there though.
:falcomelee: Can't hit locked target, can't hit bottom right target.
:foxmelee: Same as Falco
:nessmelee: Can't get up trunk, upB too strong
:icsmelee: Cant hit the bottom right target? Every other target is possible, and you can take Nana with you.
:kirbymelee: Can't hit bottom right target. Closest attempt is Up+B
:samusmelee: Can't hit bottom right target (Maybe can with like TAS missile), Can't hit locked up target, tried crossing it with zair too...
:zeldamelee: Can't get up trunk, even from initial spawn. Otherwise can do it without Sheik.
:gawmelee: Barely can't reach top of trunk, even from initial spawn platform.
:marthmelee: Can't reach top of trunk.
:roymelee: Can't reach top of trunk.
:jigglypuffmelee: can simply fall into bottom right room.

:peachmelee: can hit locked target with very very well timed falling dair. what item did you throw to be able to hit the bottom right target?

:samusmelee: can also hit locked target with well timed dair. can also get into bottom right room with down b.

:icsmelee: i agree can't get bottom right...but how did you get locked target?

:gawmelee: can make it out of the tree. requires a very well timed jump as soon as it starts. can't get bottom right. (can't remember about locked)

Bakasama

Smash Apprentice
:jigglypuffmelee: can simply fall into bottom right room.

:peachmelee: can hit locked target with very very well timed falling dair. what item did you throw to be able to hit the bottom right target?

:samusmelee: can also hit locked target with well timed dair. can also get into bottom right room with down b.

:icsmelee: i agree can't get bottom right...but how did you get locked target?

:gawmelee: can make it out of the tree. requires a very well timed jump as soon as it starts. can't get bottom right. (can't remember about locked)
I hit the locked target with :icsmelee: fair lower hitbox. I didn't test :peachmelee: thoroughly, but the fact that a turnip will bounce in means a beam sword will most likely be able to multi-bounce and hit the target.

Edit : Just did it with :gawmelee: . Got hit by bumper and DI'd in.

Finished the list above.

Last edited:

Jackie Chandler

Smash Cadet
Dude, Bakasama. I love you.

Quick tip for Peach on Young Link's - the most consistent way we were able to get the one in the box was by doing a float immediately after leaving the ground, and releasing the float at different times during the down air.

Also, how did you manage to do Jigglypuff's with Zelda and Shiek? I'm super impressed with that one.

Bakasama

Smash Apprentice
Dude, Bakasama. I love you.

Quick tip for Peach on Young Link's - the most consistent way we were able to get the one in the box was by doing a float immediately after leaving the ground, and releasing the float at different times during the down air.

Also, how did you manage to do Jigglypuff's with Zelda and Shiek? I'm super impressed with that one.
I was going to make a video about this one. So it's all standard until the end. At that point, what you have to do is do a falling chain as Sheik on the far left, so the chain goes through the wall. But you have to cancel it as soon as you can manage to do a walljump for your recovery. Then, the rest is just dins twice, and the final target you need to double jump and 'suicide' Din's into.

Edit: Started adding gfycats of tough moments.

Double Edit: Can we get an admin to move this to single player? It's a good thread, so I think it deserves to be nestled in its home properly.

Last edited:

Jackie Chandler

Smash Cadet
I was going to make a video about this one. So it's all standard until the end. At that point, what you have to do is do a falling chain as Sheik on the far left, so the chain goes through the wall. But you have to cancel it as soon as you can manage to do a walljump for your recovery. Then, the rest is just dins twice, and the final target you need to double jump and 'suicide' Din's into.
Nice discovery - I never would have found that out. I'd welcome seeing a video of it, but that's not necessary if it'd be a hassle!

EDIT: NEVER MIND just noticed the gifs. Thanks for those dood! I'm really surprised by the Sheik one. Great work!

Also, for Pichu and Pikachu on Jigglypuff's Target Test, you need to do a fully charged Skull Bash, do a double jump up air for the third target, and then use up B to go up through the bridge. After that, for the fourth target, we were able to get the fourth target with Pikachu's Quick Attack, and with Pichu, we were able to get a VERY persnickety double jump > wall jump > up air. It might be possible to hit with a low Thunder though.

And I would be totally fine with this being moved to 1 Player Mode. Sorry for posting this in the wrong place.

Bakasama

Smash Apprentice
Nice discovery - I never would have found that out. I'd welcome seeing a video of it, but that's not necessary if it'd be a hassle!

EDIT: NEVER MIND just noticed the gifs. Thanks for those dood! I'm really surprised by the Sheik one. Great work!

Also, for Pichu and Pikachu on Jigglypuff's Target Test, you need to do a fully charged Skull Bash, do a double jump up air for the third target, and then use up B to go up through the bridge. After that, for the fourth target, we were able to get the fourth target with Pikachu's Quick Attack, and with Pichu, we were able to get a VERY persnickety double jump > wall jump > up air. It might be possible to hit with a low Thunder though.

And I would be totally fine with this being moved to 1 Player Mode. Sorry for posting this in the wrong place.
I repeatedly tried to get a thunder for the final hit with Pichu, you can't actually go low enough to spawn the cloud without killing yourself. I couldn't manage the walljump > uair, but if its possible, Pichu can do everything!

Edit: Just DI'd into the hole on Y.Link's targets as Fox... now how do I get this locked one? No matter how much I multishine, it won't yield...

Last edited:

Jackie Chandler

Smash Cadet
After seeing some of the ones you weren't able to do, oNiteSkye and I met up to see what we could figure out.

:dkmelee: on :drmario:'s Target Test:

:kirbymelee: on :jigglypuffmelee:'s Target Test:

:drmario: on :yoshimelee:'s Target Test:

We weren't able to contest any of the other ones (yet?!).

Thanks for all your hard work, Bakasama! It's really cool seeing this question realized so thoroughly.

Of course, I'd love to see other "impossible" things get disproven later down the road.

Until then, maybe some races are in order? Who knows!

Last edited:

Bakasama

Smash Apprentice
After seeing some of the ones you weren't able to do, oNiteSkye and I met up to see what we could figure out.

:dkmelee: on :drmario:'s Target Test:

:kirbymelee: on :jigglypuffmelee:'s Target Test:

:drmario: on :yoshimelee:'s Target Test:

We weren't able to contest any of the other ones (yet?!).

Thanks for all your hard work, Bakasama! It's really cool seeing this question realized so thoroughly.

Of course, I'd love to see other "impossible" things get disproven later down the road.

Until then, maybe some races are in order? Who knows!
Hey maybe, this has become a new favorite thing of mine. I might do some theoreticals too. Like 'what if X character could make it out of the trunk?' 'What if X character started with a bomb?' 'What if two Yoshi's worked together on YL's targets?'
I'll update my post with your gifs and new info
btw I really like the solution to Doc's targets with DK. That's clever and I should've thought of that!

Last edited:

Jackie Chandler

Smash Cadet
I'm happy to hear it! I think it might be fun to host some competitions with things like that in mind, too. Maybe some things like:

- B moves only
- No mid-air jump
- Only X amount of attacks per Target Test
- No projectiles
- Only projectiles

Of course, the winner would be whoever can break the most total targets/complete the most Target Tests with those rules in place.

Would anyone be interested in something like that?

Top Bottom