• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Many Characters Are Now Truly Viable?! MLG Discussion!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Re4gNarsil

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone, Re4gNarsil here, and I thought it was only fitting that after witnessing the absolutely incredible MLG tournament to start a thread about just how much of the Sm4sh cast is truly good, and if ANY can truly be labeled as bad. First off though I'd like to congratulate both ZeRo and Nairo for an incredible Grand Finals clash for the Ages, and I loved seeing my favorite smasher finally end the Sm4sh king's win streak. I was thrilled when Nairo beat Esam when most people thought it wouldn't happen, and then absolutely ecstatic when he defeated ZeRo in convincing fashion to nothing less than thunderous applause by everyone witnessing it in person.

But this isn't about that victory, as amazing as it was, this topic is about something almost equally incredible that Nairo showed us in Losers Finals of that same tournament: namely, that NOBODY in Sm4sh should be called irrelevant until it is truly proven they are. Almost everyone in the Smash community has said characters such as Ganandorf, Samus, Doctor Mario, and Palutena are low tier, meaning they cannot hope to beat most of the rest of the cast if the players are of roughly equal skill. Even Esam wrote off over twenty percent of the roster as bad (including Doctor Mario mind you), although to his credit he has said almost everyone else is ‘good’ even if not top tier like Pikachu and Mario.

Nairo, however, has always stated that he any fighter in the newest smash game can be good if used correctly by a skilled player, and has certainly won plenty of online matches with ‘low tier’ characters such as Lucina, Mewtwo, and more. And not only that, when facing Esam in both Winners Semis and Losers Finals at MLG Nairo surprised everyone by going Doctor Mario in every encounter, and defeated him in their second round! All his friends and fans were hoping he’d beat his opponent with ZSS or perhaps another of his more viable mains, but he shocked the country by using a fighter discarded by most and fighting toe to toe with arguably the second best member of the roster.

So then, my question to all of you is, can anyone truly say or believe that any fighter in Sm4sh’s lineup is worthless and should be dropped? Even ZeRo has said this game is more balanced than the previous ones, and Nairo has said that it takes a lot of skill to outpace the potential of almost any member of the roster. Meaning unless perhaps you go to a regional or national tournament you have a chance at winning with any character if you put in the practice and have good fundamentals. I myself have a few mains like Peach and ZSS, but my Palutena is my favorite, I’ve invested the most time into her, so it shows with more wins against friends and online.

In conclusion, I’d like to encourage everyone to not be narrow minded and say only ten or so characters are ‘good’, most everyone else is ‘decent’, and the last ten or so are ‘bad’. The vast majority of pros in the game say most fighters are underused, underdeveloped, and underrated; it is also commonplace to hear you should use ‘whomever you like’ as opposed to ‘someone who is viable’, since your desire to use whoever this character is will prove more beneficial than the difference in their overall strength. There may be more ‘low tier’ characters waiting to be used to the fullest of their potential, like perhaps Shulk or Palutena, but nobody will ever know is no one tries using them to the fullest! Let’s stay open minded as we play and watch others, and hopefully more diamonds in the rough will soon appear. Happy smashing!

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Tiers are for queers!

The main reason anyone wins at a game is personal skill. If Zero was playing Zelda and Donkey Kong the whole time, those two would be considered High tier. Often times high tier characters just have naturally easier exploits, such as Sheik's nearly nonexistent cool down, in a game where nearly everyone has too much of it. Tell me how many Sheik's do you run into online. I've run into a lot and while they take advantage of Sheik's annoying tendencies, they don't know how to maximize their potential so my mains are usually enough to take them down.

Tiers are never an absolute answer for who wins. KaneBlueRiver won Evo this year in Mahvel with Hulk, Sentinel, and Haggar. Those three were low to mid tier characters. KBR simply outplayed everyone. So to answer your question, Yes anyone can win. He'll play your low tier characters, people love their underdogs. But more importantly, NO ONE knows what that character is truly capable of except for you. I play Robin, and I rarely come across other Robin mains. Because of this when I play most people know one knows what they should be looking out for. That element of surprise granted me tons of wins.

Maximillian sums up the whole tier list topic perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom