• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How long will Melee Last?

Kanelol

Smash Lord
Haters don't know 'bout my Shinespike.
A blue striped shirt with Shinespike written in super duper flowery font would look so ****** people wouldn't even ask.

"Dude what's that guys shirt mean, Shinespike?"
"I think it's some Hollister thing"
"oh cool"

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
A blue striped shirt with Shinespike written in super duper flowery font would look so ****** people wouldn't even ask.

"Dude what's that guys shirt mean, Shinespike?"
"I think it's some Hollister thing"
"oh cool"
Would be so, what? o.O

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Melee will die when melee 2.0 comes out.

Copy paste physics system then add tons of characters.

Such wishful thinking.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Melee will die when melee 2.0 comes out.

Copy paste physics system then add tons of characters.

Such wishful thinking.
Pfft if that ever happens. Brawl was supposed to be melee 2.0 but then. CRAP

dawn001

Smash Ace
I was playing Melee long before I knew there was a competitive community, and I will continue to play long after it dies. So what is your question exactly? How long will we have tournaments, forums and prize money? or How long will people be playing it?

I can't speak for everybody, but I think this game will never die for the people who truly care about it. I am a gamer, but I am not impressed by flashy graphics and gimmicks. When I sit down and play a game I am looking for depth. I am looking for something that is fun, but I am looking for a challenge as well. There a very few games that have this quality, especially these days.

Well, SSB Melee is one hell of a quality game. The very first time I played it, I fell in love. All I can remember was watching all the other kids play for so long before someone finally handing me a controller. He had been playing as Captain Falcon, and I just left it. The game started and I was instantly transported... It was like nothing I had ever played! So much going on, so many moves to use, the fact that you could live for so long and take so much abuse... Oh man, it was ecstasy. Of course I discovered Falcon Punch rather quickly and people started to fear my wrath. FALCON PAWNCH! I was on top of the world, never had I had so much fun.

Honestly, Melee was the only reason I bought a Gamecube. And it is the only reason I haven't sold it yet. None of my friends played Melee a year ago. But every time we would hang out I would bring my cube and a couple games, but eventually we would only end up playing one. And now all of them have gone out and bought it. Some of them even had to buy cubes as well.

I played Brawl for a little bit, I didn't like it as much. But I played it exclusively for a few months convincing myself that it was better. It wasn't. One day I randomly decided to pop in Melee... and there I was again, a little kid just playing a game with some people. But it was so much more! We were into it! Kids screaming in the background, rooting for the underdog, yelling for us to use a certain move. It was pandemonium. Every time I would swoop in for a kill I would feel this great, triumphant feeling. Often times my opponent would let out a gasp of horror, and look over at me with steely revenge in his eyes. There is nothing like it in the world.

So where am I going with this? Well, I have a feeling there are more than a few people out there who feel the way I do about Melee. I will play this game for as long as my fingers move. I want to master it, I want to know everything there is to know about it, and I want others to feel the way I do. There is just something universal about it, you know? And I think that is the real reason we go to tournaments, to share our love of the game with others. At the end of the day that's what it's all about, just sitting down in front of a TV with a controller in your hand and having a blast.

Long live Super Smash Bros. Melee
this game is barely evolving to the next level.....and just throwing out there, there are alot of levels on this game....this game still has more to offer and as for brawl ill give it about 1 more year before brawl players start looking at melee once more.... and then maybe things will get interesting... i believe that melee has no tiers just all about the mind game and knowing your character.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Brawl will last longer than one more year. I know we love to hate it but brawl will last a few more years, and I don't believe it will really dissapear, just that melee will eventually get bigger

dawn001

Smash Ace
Brawl will last longer than one more year. I know we love to hate it but brawl will last a few more years, and I don't believe it will really dissapear, just that melee will eventually get bigger
true... my point is that melee is still evolving to higher levels... i know cause i see what melee can do .... infact i feel that it can be broken..

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yes...evolving to planking with Jigglypuff.

Dawn you should really check the character ranking list thing (stuck in this room) if you think there aren't any tiers. Like 1/4th the characters in Melee have never even managed to place in the top 8 at tournaments.

Melee will always be around. Its one of those great games that you can always revisit. The question to better ask would be: will the competitive community be able to continually throw a large (300 person+) tournament every 6 months or so?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I bought a gamecube to play melee as well back in 07.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Man I bought it earlier that you but only got into the competitive scene a year or 2 later D:
Yeah I got competitive in 07 haha. Only thing was that I sucked. I still suck, but I keep going. : D

But don't worry. It hurts to think how better one could be if he/she started earlier, but all we can do is keep going to the future, instead of wishing we were going in the past.

Its better that you started when you started instead of starting even LATER than that. ;D

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
Yeah I got competitive in 07 haha. Only thing was that I sucked. I still suck, but I keep going. : D

But don't worry. It hurts to think how better one could be if he/she started earlier, but all we can do is keep going to the future, instead of wishing we were going in the past.

Its better that you started when you started instead of starting even LATER than that. ;D
Oh you think you started late? I started end of 2008 and been playing since, but I'm not as good as I should be.....

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
man i agree with everything you said... great read
..dont you live near london? gotta come out and play.

SO at least 14 more years sweet, really I think the only thing that could stop melee is the lack of good controllers, but I bet people will start makeing their own lol melee is worth it.
rofl, i was totally going to mention the controllers flaw... what a shame..

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
there will be melee tournaments until every last gamecube and wii is broken

Lovage

Smash Hero

lol i been saying for the longest time

we need a sick melee shirt

no big nerdy "GAMER" shirts that suck ****

Kanelol

Smash Lord
It's really bizarre because I'd seen that pic all over the internet for a few years before I even knew who m2k was

made me giggle

i_Pichu

Smash Rookie
Pretty sure it will last atleast 3 more years. I'm hoping me and my friend's possible smash club next year will bring like 50 more people into the community. Only reason Melee should die out is a new smash comes out with similar delay canceling and fast pace fighting

Top Bottom