• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How long do you think PM will last?

How long do you think PM will last?

• Years, even after SSB4's release.

Votes: 137 82.5%
  • It will be forgotten with Brawl.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Melee will be the only older Smash that survives.

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Maybe, but not for long

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 6 3.6%

• Total voters

Fyrefox

Smash Cadet
You need a hug.

PM will probably outlast Brawl, and possibly even Melee. Brawl sold more than Melee (if I remember correctly, I don't want to declare that if I'm wrong), so more copies are around. Since Brawl = PM + modded Wii, it'll be easy to find for years to come.
Well, you can't play PM with out a copy of Brawl...so, can Brawl really be 'forgotten'?

Fyrefox

Smash Cadet
P:M has along life ahead of it long as they can keep making strides and making new advancements with it. So far it is turning out great there is no reason to drop P:M because of a new game. Smash 4 is pretty similar to brawl so it won't be my main game most likely. I'm hoping the new update is really good with custom music and ect it will always stay fresh.
Well, here's the thing. Now that Sakurai can update the game through the eShop, Smash 4 won't be anywhere near as flawed as Brawl was.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
eventually we'll have to use usb loaders and stuff, anyway, since brawl is really harsh on the wii laser, apparently.

Fyrefox

Smash Cadet
P:M has along life ahead of it long as they can keep making strides and making new advancements with it. So far it is turning out great there is no reason to drop P:M because of a new game. Smash 4 is pretty similar to brawl so it won't be my main game most likely. I'm hoping the new update is really good with custom music and ect it will always stay fresh.
Well, here's the thing. Now that Sakurai can update the game through the eShop, Smash 4 won't be anywhere near as flawed as Brawl was.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
presuming he cares.

which he doesn't seem to, all that much. something's imbalanced in the competitive scene? pfft, this is an action platformer, guys! you're not even playing time mode!

Resyndicated

Smash Rookie
Somewhere in the Forest Lake area, Minnesota
Sakurai cares about it as a party game, not a competitive game.
If there's a game breaking bug or a bug that forces players to git gud if they even want to win a casual match, then Sakurai will have johns about it and try to patch it up.
Example is the Wuhu Loop glitch from Mario Kart 7.

Last edited:

Renji64

Smash Lord
I don't see smash 4 getting much patch support unless something is game breaking but anything is possible.

Lopson

Smash Cadet
Project M will probably have a healthy lifespan. Besides being a completely viable alternative for the competitive scene, I think it also works as a plan B of sorts: if everything goes wrong with Smash 4, at least there'll be a solid alternative going forward.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
No, you just need to use the PM launcher with the disc. Don't even have to look at the logo with the accursed "B-word".

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Brawl is bad and is sure to be forgotten quickly, but do you think PM will coexist even with competitive SSB4? It's something I've been curious about myself and would like to hear input on.

Edit: I just realized one of the poll options answered a question of duration with "maybe". NVM, just being ******** today.
Well, One thing I want to say first, Brawl wasn't bad, just had more of a taste for casual players.

Second, Good Question. Definitely worth the thread. I'd say PM will last for quite a while, despite the fact that both "Melee-Competitive" players will eventually go to Melee Netplay where there is no lag and people, for some really stupid reason, prefer Melee over Project M (can someone answer me that?). With those 2 facts in mind, PM will still be upgraded and flaws continuously fixed until the PMBR sees that no one cares anymore. It'll probably last until almost everyone thinks Melee is better and when people will realize that they can do Online Melee if they have the technology.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Well, One thing I want to say first, Brawl wasn't bad, just had more of a taste for casual players.
I don't see those two categories as being anything but equal. Games directed towards the sweaty masses are always messy and pointless.

Second, Good Question. Definitely worth the thread. I'd say PM will last for quite a while, despite the fact that both "Melee-Competitive" players will eventually go to Melee Netplay where there is no lag and people, for some really stupid reason, prefer Melee over Project M (can someone answer me that?). With those 2 facts in mind, PM will still be upgraded and flaws continuously fixed until the PMBR sees that no one cares anymore. It'll probably last until almost everyone thinks Melee is better and when people will realize that they can do Online Melee if they have the technology.
Except that PM can be continually patched, and has a lot more potential in the long run than an over decade-old game that can never be changed. Yeah, a lot of Melee vets are dissatisfied as it currently is, but with a few tweaks I think it will be the perfect compromise in the end.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
I actually don't know that many casuals that preferred Brawl after the new game appeal wore off. My Smash buddies and I went back to playing Melee the majority of the time within a year and only booted Brawl up if we wanted to **** around in custom stages or the like.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I don't see those two categories as being anything but equal. Games directed towards the sweaty masses are always messy and pointless.
;
Sakurai cares about it as a party game, not a competitive game.
If there's a game breaking bug or a bug that forces players to git gud if they even want to win a casual match, then Sakurai will have johns about it and try to patch it up.
Example is the Wuhu Loop glitch from Mario Kart 7.
Oh they fixed that? God dangit.........

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
@ InfinityCollision InfinityCollision , I don't think casual players, by "definition", care about which Smash game they're playing, so as long as it's the most recent one.
Casuals can know when **** stinks too, it's just a question of whether or not they care. It's true that several of us took other games relatively seriously, but our Smash play was firmly casual at the time.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I feel it's super dependent on the quality of the upcoming version and just how good Smash 4 is. If Smash 4 is great and the upcoming patch of PM makes the game worse (ala the patch that killed Brawl+), it will be forgotten overnight. If the reverse is true, it may endure for quite a long time.

Distron

Smash Rookie
NNID
Disastertron
3DS FC
0662-4842-4197
There's room in this world for all flavors of smash. Even the Brawlers. But the answer to the original question is simple. as long as there is an interest PM will exist.

raymundoTheGod

Smash Apprentice
As long as they keep pushing out good updates, like they are doing with recoveries, it will last forever. Like SF4 and LoL. All they need to do is keep trying to achieve perfect balance.

Raijinken

Smash Master
PM will last until either
  1. Nintendo kills it
  2. Smash4 becomes the recognized go-to competitive Smash Bros game (and even then, PM will endure for people who still prefer Melee physics)
  3. The PMBR reaches a point they are satisfied with and ceases to update the game

And let's hope that unlike LoL, PMBR knows how to balance a game for a viable roster.

Last edited:

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Why would ending the updates kill PM, assuming they balance it out well?

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
Why would ending the updates kill PM, assuming they balance it out well?
Unlike older games such as Melee, Marvel 2, any competitive game before 2007, players may leave if there isn't constant updates to the content. People simply lose interest and move on.

Look at Counter Strike GO. They add new stuff to reward you for playing the game for long periods of time & they're not afraid to rebalance the weapons to add variety to the meta. StarCraft 2 is really bad about "flavor of the month" updates that rebalance units in a way that changes which centralize the game at any given point. LoL & DOTA 2 balance champions not to make them all viable, but to switch around who is viable where.

Project M will definitely have more organic meta where someone finds a new way to use X & X challenges how we play the game, but a lot of devs would rather force change by playing with patches & what not.

Last edited:

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
I'd say that abandoning games like that is more of a casual thing, though. If they can manage to turn it into a masterpiece for the tryhard community, there's no reason it couldn't become the main competitive Smash.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
if the dev team truly emphasizes and stays true to their original mission statement, i can see P:M being the future of smash.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
It will last for at least the predictable future, partially because the Brawl disk is very, very cheap, meaning it's still currently easily-accessible to people squeamish about piracy (which includes me).

However, there are still stigmas that will lead to a very rocky road in the coming years. That's unavoidable.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Really? 'Brawl is bad and likely to be forgotten quickly'? Such an ignorant, and invalid opinion. My friend, just because a game doesn't suit your oh so competitive taste doesn't mean it is a bad game. I loved Brawl, regardless of it being competitive or not. And I'm sure many, many others did as well. It's individuals like you just seem to amaze me with ignorance.
Yeah man. We all love random tripping and 0 aerial momentum :)

josh bones

Smash Lord
Pm lasting depends completely on how much nintendo wants to get involved in the scene.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Hypothetically, if Smash 4 does not appeal to the large majority of the competitive scene after the "new game" feel that @ P Phaiyte talked about wears off then people will gravitate to the games they enjoy the most.

EmLeingod

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmLeingod
I don't know. We'll certainly lose some players, I'm assuming that a lot of the brawl players that picked up PM are going to drop it for whatever the newest game is. But a lot of people entered the smash scene with PM, so I think a lot of people will still be around even after Smash 4.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say that a lot of them will leave. What is the reason most of them dropped Brawl in the first place? Because a better, updated competitive version was available. Smash 4 will just be another Brawl, so I doubt most will leave. Sure, some probably just picked up PM because it was the shiny new toy, but I think the gameplay is the biggest draw for most.

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
Let's play the wait game. I'd love to see Melee, PM, and Sm4sh coexist but that's really eating a lot of games TBH and one will eventually go, or at least be demoted to a side event. I see PM still having a large local presence regardless, I think we'll find out when we see attendance numbers for majors, most likely Apex 2015, and see Sm4sh's numbers and if PM declines.

Top Bottom