• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How long do you think PM will last?

How long do you think PM will last?

• Years, even after SSB4's release.

Votes: 137 82.5%
  • It will be forgotten with Brawl.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Melee will be the only older Smash that survives.

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Maybe, but not for long

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 6 3.6%

• Total voters

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Brawl is bad and is sure to be forgotten quickly, but do you think PM will coexist even with competitive SSB4? It's something I've been curious about myself and would like to hear input on.

Edit: I just realized one of the poll options answered a question of duration with "maybe". NVM, just being ******** today.

Last edited:

MasterMar

Smash Rookie
Considering how Melee is still going strong after all these years, I don't see why PM should be any different.
SSB4 is clearly a different game from PM (an Melee for that matter), so I can't see it marking the end of PM.
Brawl didn't kill off Melee, so SSB4 shouldn't kill off PM.

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
I can't say if it'll last longer than 4, but I have a feeling that the tight roster of capable characters in melee will make it last longer. IDK why, but I feel that a few years after 4 comes out, a mod in the same vein of PM will come out for it and then I'm not sure what will happen...

Fyrefox

Smash Cadet
Brawl is bad and is sure to be forgotten quickly, but do you think PM will coexist even with competitive SSB4? It's something I've been curious about myself and would like to hear input on.

Edit: I just realized one of the poll options answered a question of duration with "maybe". NVM, just being ******** today.
Really? 'Brawl is bad and likely to be forgotten quickly'? Such an ignorant, and invalid opinion. My friend, just because a game doesn't suit your oh so competitive taste doesn't mean it is a bad game. I loved Brawl, regardless of it being competitive or not. And I'm sure many, many others did as well. It's individuals like you just seem to amaze me with ignorance.

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
Really? 'Brawl is bad and likely to be forgotten quickly'? Such an ignorant, and invalid opinion. My friend, just because a game doesn't suit your oh so competitive taste doesn't mean it is a bad game. I loved Brawl, regardless of it being competitive or not. And I'm sure many, many others did as well. It's individuals like you just seem to amaze me with ignorance.
While I agree that Brawl is not nearly as fun to play as Melee and PM, I must say that the OP handled himself quite unprofessionally. So I'll give you a like.

(This is coming from someone who's first Smash game was Brawl)

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
I think the survival of PM depends on the next build's release date. If they do it too soon, it'll be forgotten with Smash 4. If they do it too late, people will have already moved on and dedicated their time to Smash 4. If they do it too close to release, they risk unwanted attention from Nintendo. They have to plan the next release very strategically.

@ Fyrefox Fyrefox - Once Smash 4 comes out, Brawl's casual scene will diminish significantly. I think of it kind of like Madden: why play Madden 2013 when 2014 is available? Sure, some people will stay back because of a favorite player or mechanic, but there are also people still playing Kirby Air Ride, but I can't say that scene is alive.

Fyrefox

Smash Cadet
I think the survival of PM depends on the next build's release date. If they do it too soon, it'll be forgotten with Smash 4. If they do it too late, people will have already moved on and dedicated their time to Smash 4. If they do it too close to release, they risk unwanted attention from Nintendo. They have to plan the next release very strategically.

@ Fyrefox Fyrefox - Once Smash 4 comes out, Brawl's casual scene will diminish significantly. I think of it kind of like Madden: why play Madden 2013 when 2014 is available? Sure, some people will stay back because of a favorite player or mechanic, but there are also people still playing Kirby Air Ride, but I can't say that scene is alive.
If anything, Brawl's casual scene has already diminished. I rarely ever touch my copy of Brawl, but forget about it? No. I'll always remember the fun Brawl had brought me for over 4 years. Casual play or not, Brawl was still a great game.

GeZ

Smash Lord
If anything, Brawl's casual scene has already diminished. I rarely ever touch my copy of Brawl, but forget about it? No. I'll always remember the fun Brawl had brought me for over 4 years. Casual play or not, Brawl was still a great game.
Look man, people enjoy Brawl but enjoyment =/= quality. It had a lot of design flaws, the most obvious being the ******** hitstun system. The competitive community is dying off because it's not that much fun to watch and even play for a lot of people. Brawl decline isn't something you can wave off, and neither is the reason for it.

Fyrefox

Smash Cadet
Look man, people enjoy Brawl but enjoyment =/= quality. It had a lot of design flaws, the most obvious being the ******** hitstun system. The competitive community is dying off because it's not that much fun to watch and even play for a lot of people. Brawl decline isn't something you can wave off, and neither is the reason for it.
I understand, it had many design flaws. But just because it wasn't considered competitive doesn't mean it was a terrible game, I mean really...you'd have to be awfully ignorant to go that far. I have a feeling when Smash 4 comes out people are going to give it the same criticism "no competitive game sucks".

/logic

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
I understand, it had many design flaws. But just because it wasn't considered competitive doesn't mean it was a terrible game, I mean really...you'd have to be awfully ignorant to go that far. I have a feeling when Smash 4 comes out people are going to give it the same criticism "no competitive game sucks".

/logic
That's why I cited the hitstun system. It and tripping are examples of bad game design. They hold it back from being competitive because they're very prevalent, but that doesn't mean that I was saying that good = competitive. Just that bad usually = non competitive.

Gotta work on those faulty leaps of logic, yo.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
I'd respond to the casual apologist, but all necessary points have already been made. Brawl was a massively flawed game. Just because you like tossing items at other randoms does not make it good. And as already stated, the casual audience forgets each game very quickly.

koopaKnight

Smash Cadet
Oh and brawl can be competitive. Do a $100 money match and see if no one will compete for that money.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
After all the hype fades away from smash 4, P:M (and melee) will remain, it's on the unstoppable path to the tournament favorite. It's literally designed to be the perfect game for the competitive community, so as long as the competitive smash community survives, so will P:M

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
I can't say if it'll last longer than 4, but I have a feeling that the tight roster of capable characters in melee will make it last longer. IDK why, but I feel that a few years after 4 comes out, a mod in the same vein of PM will come out for it and then I'm not sure what will happen...
That's so technically unfeasable I can't even. Assuming we magically get some crazy exploit like in Brawl (which we won't because sakurai definitely doesn't want it to happen again), there is no Wii U homebrew and nintendo is being damn adamant about keeping it that way (after the wii/DS fiasco). There will in all likelyhood never be a way to mod smash 4

D

Deleted member

I think PM will continue to grow even with SSB4 coming out.

I like the idea of HD graphics, new characters and content, but i just can't imagine that game ever becoming part of the competitive scene.

With that said, in my opinion the only way for PM to be forgotten would be the creation of a remastered version of Melee in HD by Nintendo, that would be a big obstacle cause everyone would be playng that game all day!

Last edited by a moderator:

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100
The life of the game is entirely dependent on the people in the community, their priorities, and what they truly want from the Smash series. If the P:M community loves their game so much, they'll keep playing it even when Smash4 comes out. If they like Smash4 as well, then they'll play both P:M and Smash4. It's not that difficult. Both games will use the same controller. Just practice transitioning from game to game.

If the P:M community only wants to play the newest possible edition of Smash regardless of how amazing P:M already is, then they'll drop P:M like a rock and go to Smash4 and if Smash4 is good, they'll stick to it. And that's fine as well, I guess.

Again, it all depends on what the community wants from their game. The release of a new game or the popularity increase of previous titles don't force people to stop playing their current game if they truly love it. People stop people from playing their game (coughBrawlCommunitycough)

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
I think PM will continue to grow even with SSB4 coming out.

I like the idea of HD graphics, new characters and content, but i just can't imagine that game ever becoming part of the competitive scene.

With that said, in my opinion the only way for PM to be forgotten would be the creation of a remastered version of Melee in HD by Nintendo, that would be a big obstacle cause everyone would be playng that game all day!
If nintendo did that it would probably be the PAL version too, where fox is nerfed. Oh god, that would be cool, especially if they made small tweaks to even up the tier list too, like giving game and watch a functioning shield. Honestly an HD Melee SD Remix would change the world.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
PM survives as long as you keep playing it. As soon as you jump ship, you are responsible for the death of the game, because falls in popularity tend to result in additional falls in popularity due to everyone having less people to play with. It's a domino effect that kills a lot of games shortly after a new version/sequel/edition comes out, and it's currently happening to brawl. But it won't happen so long as there nobody who jumps ship first.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Project M's theme:

It will survive, and I hope the dev's will start a new project with Smash 4. I love the content they add.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
It's not that I'm not feeling Project M version of smash 4, but I'd be more than satisfied if they just finished project M. Smash 4 is alright but it's never going to steal P:M's thunder.

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
That's so technically unfeasable I can't even. Assuming we magically get some crazy exploit like in Brawl (which we won't because sakurai definitely doesn't want it to happen again), there is no Wii U homebrew and nintendo is being damn adamant about keeping it that way (after the wii/DS fiasco). There will in all likelyhood never be a way to mod smash 4
Don't say it with such certainty. While I agree that saying a few years after was a bit hasty, modders and hackers seem to (almost) always (usually) find a way. IDK but I just have this feeling someone's gonna find an exploit...

But's that's just me and my optimism!

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
Project M's theme:

It will survive, and I hope the dev's will start a new project with Smash 4. I love the content they add.
More accurate:
0:50: You're Brawl, GLaDOS is @Warchamp7
Just replace Aperture science with "PMBR"
It fit so perfectly

Last edited:

jotun

Smash Ace
That depends heavily on a few things.

1. Does PM continue to receive updates, and do people like those updates?

2. How good is SSB4? If it actually manages to equal or exceed Melee/PM then it will probably take over PM very quickly and Melee will slowly bleed off the way SSB64 has. If it is slow, dumbed down, or broken, then it will likely go the way of Brawl, and people will keep playing Melee and PM for a long time.

3. If SSB4 is hackable, then a mod for that would likely replace PM.

4. PM will likely never fully replace Melee simply because Nintendo would probably never officially endorse it or even allow it to be played in big-name tournaments like MLG or EVO.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
The three middle options are too similar. They are saying: it won't last with this game, it won't last but this game will, it won't last after a little while.

So that is seriously diluting that opinion, which is already unpopular, across too many options.

Renji64

Smash Lord
P:M has along life ahead of it long as they can keep making strides and making new advancements with it. So far it is turning out great there is no reason to drop P:M because of a new game. Smash 4 is pretty similar to brawl so it won't be my main game most likely. I'm hoping the new update is really good with custom music and ect it will always stay fresh.

cmvnb3

Smash Apprentice
It's doubtless that smash4 will steal PM's thunder, which basically relied on the open void of discontentment left between brawl and smash4 but even if smash4 blots out PM like a solar eclipse, if it isn't as good as PM then another void of discontentment will eventually form again and PM will be there to fill that void. So maybe a hibernation period is in store for PM but that just means there's more time to smoothly finish it up and then it'll be well-polished and ready by the time everyone comes crawling back to it. You know you will. Smash4 is all but already a disappointment. Smash4 will be enjoyed as a shiny new toy for a while but after you've licked all of the sugary outside coating you're not going to like the bitter core that's left.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Pretty sure that sugary coating has been gone for a while. If Smash 4 is just the updated Brawl it seems to be, no one will even think about replacing PM with it for any period of time.

Rags

Smash Ace
Even IF Smash 4 takes off, its playstyle is still different from PM and melee, so you will always have people who prefer Melee, 64, PM or even Brawl over it. I'm sure PM isn't going anywhere. The fact that we still have 64 tournaments is a tesatment to the longevity of the series. Each smash game feels different, which TBH is how the series has been. Maybe not as radical as from Melee to brawl, but different enough that people have settled on which version they prefer over the other.

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
You need a hug.

PM will probably outlast Brawl, and possibly even Melee. Brawl sold more than Melee (if I remember correctly, I don't want to declare that if I'm wrong), so more copies are around. Since Brawl = PM + modded Wii, it'll be easy to find for years to come.

Exodo

Smash Ace
You need a hug.

PM will probably outlast Brawl, and possibly even Melee. Brawl sold more than Melee (if I remember correctly, I don't want to declare that if I'm wrong), so more copies are around. Since Brawl = PM + modded Wii, it'll be easy to find for years to come.
lol you dont have to mod your wii to be able to play, you only need an sd card

cmvnb3

Smash Apprentice
I assume smash4 is actually more of a boon to PM in the long run since all the fresh mainstream attention it attracts will grant some piggy-back attention to PM. Smashboards will get flooded with new players that will all wonder why this "PM" thing has it's own entire forum section dedicated to it.

OzzyTheMask

Smash Ace
NNID
TheCreeperHD
Project M will always go on forever, it has become so much of a hit. Why would they stop? If they stopped, the world would RIOT, leaving us with raging presidents, which have no choice but to blow up the earth. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Top Bottom