• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How long did it take you to get "moonwalking" down?

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
I'm currently having difficulty trying to moonwalk with Falcon. I know what to do but I can't seem to get it right. Either I end up dash dashing or the moonwalk is way too short. So I was wondering how long does it usually take to get good at it and is there a something I can do to get the hang of it?

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I'm still working on it. I've gotten to a consistent short moonwalk, but I can't seem to get the elliptical motion down.

Equal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiEqual
3DS FC
2036-7236-5480
For me I think it took me about 1-2 weeks of practicing it daily (during my daily tech skill practice, which is like an hour) before it finally 'clicked' with me. It's very hard to learn, but when you do master it, it's great because the muscle memory will be engrained in you for a looong long time.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
Not too long if you practice alot. The hardest thing to get good at first is to get the full length or close. If you can stand at the ledge facing in and do a single moonwalk to ledgegrab or even better drop off stage, you have a good length. After that it's just a matter of learning how to do it out of walk and dash dance and then you're set.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
I'm still working on it. I've gotten to a consistent short moonwalk, but I can't seem to get the elliptical motion down.
@ Clint Jaguar Clint Jaguar Don't do elliptical motion. Do triangle left ->downright -> right. Also don't make a full dash input all the way to the control stick frame. The most important thing is to get your stick to the opposite diagonal angle asap, so that you start accelarating backwards on the 2nd frame of dash.

Last edited:

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman
@ Clint Jaguar Clint Jaguar Don't do elliptical motion. Do triangle left ->downright -> right. Also don't make a full dash input all the way to the control stick frame. The most important thing is to get your stick to the opposite diagonal angle asap, so that you start accelarating backwards on the 2nd frame of dash.
You have to make sure to hold the direction, right?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Yes, you hold the direction until your dash ends, or until you want to interrupt your mw with something else.

Coyle

Smash Cadet
I tried to moon-walk as soon as I got into Captain Falcon competitively and needless to say, it wasn't happening. I went at it for a little bit, a few times a week or so, and ended up just putting it on my "to do" list so I could focus on other essential tech. I would try to do it randomly during training, and after about 3 or 4 months I was able to MW to the right across FD. I've only started to be able to MW consistently to the left across FD after about a year of playing (again, this was just from practicing it a little randomly).

Moonwalking is all about dashing in a direction and then, within your dash dance range, quickly bringing the analog stick to the opposite side without bringing it through the neutral or down position. Doing a half circle is the cleanest way to do this, but it takes too much time to precisely make that your thumb do that motion. Good moonwalks come from fast analog stick movement. I've heard a lot of Falcons dashing and then just making a single diagonal line to the opposite side going in between neutral and down. Check out your controller and you'll be able to see this position easily - it's got its own notch on the octagon. This can work out well, especially if you're doing it fast enough. Personally I do the reverse Nike swoosh method, where the tail is the start, you go diagonally thru neutral and down, and then curve up at the end. I can get some nice healthy MWs doing this, but it can be tricky when doing multiple MWs since it's easy to go thru neutral when coming back for a 2nd MW.

What controller your using can also help or hurt you when trying to moonwalk. I started out using a brand new white controller bought off Amazon, and the analog stick was really tight. I bought an older purple controller that was in great condition, and the sticks allowed for easy fluid movement, but still reverted back to neutral quickly. I was able to MW easier using this controller. I've since broken in the white controller and can MW fine with it - breaking them in just takes some time. If your sticks are too loose though (like floppy 'n ****; move a lot when just barely running your thumb over it), they can really hurt your tech in general. There are some mods you can do to your controller to fix this (putting some stuff in the stick box {glue or plastic}, or replacing it with another controller's), but a lot of people just get other controllers.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
Okay so I've kept at it and while I'm still not able to get a full moonwalk, I'm getting more comfortable with the analogue motion. Another problem I have though is trying to moonwalk to the left. I just can't seem to get my thumb to pull off the move in the opposite direction. Do any of you guys have this problem?

CaramelCenter

Smash Rookie
I've got the same thing going on, I can go left but not right. What I'm doing is just doing it slow-mo to the right until it feels natural. Muscle memory is huge for moonwalking.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Okay so I've kept at it and while I'm still not able to get a full moonwalk, I'm getting more comfortable with the analogue motion. Another problem I have though is trying to moonwalk to the left. I just can't seem to get my thumb to pull off the move in the opposite direction. Do any of you guys have this problem?
Yeah, I have the same problem I'm much better at moonwalking to the right, but I'm getting better.

Just takes more practice! Gotta keep grinding.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
If you don't already do this, do :GCL: straight into :GCDR:, rolling to :GCR:. Believe me, it's objectively better and easier than the old semicircle methods. Also it's easier to do moonwalk out of dd or walk than from stand.

Last edited:

CaramelCenter

Smash Rookie
If you don't already do this, do :GCL: straight into :GCDR:, rolling to :GCR:. Believe me, it's objectively better and easier than the old semicircle methods. Also it's easier to do moonwalk out of dd or walk than from stand.
Geez that's really insightful. RIght on man, right on.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
Tried that for a bit just a while ago and I get about the same result. Now when I want to increase the length of my moonwalk, is the idea to simply hold the analogue in one direction or am I supposed to pull off multiple moonwalks in quick succession?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Tried that for a bit just a while ago and I get about the same result. Now when I want to increase the length of my moonwalk, is the idea to simply hold the analogue in one direction or am I supposed to pull off multiple moonwalks in quick succession?
Stay in one dash for as long as possible before initiating successive dash( while moonwalking you're actually still just dashing) In other words, hold the stick back for as long as you can. The most important thing is to get to diagonal asap after dashing. Turning (from dash/walk/stand/whatever) helps, because the turn delays dash by 1 frame, essentially giving you more time to get the stick to back.

Last edited:

Zhook

Smash Rookie
A few days of practicing for a good amount of hours, but now I can moonwalk all of FD maybe a third of the times I try. To get the long sexy moonwalks the best thing to do is to start with a reverse moonwalk to get your momentum going, then just go to the normal input.

Last edited:

Frotastic

Smash Rookie
Maybe some handy tips is to have enough speed from a regular dash, immediately turn around and preform the moonwalk. You can also wavedash, immediately turn around and preform the moonwalk. That's the way I do it.

Berble

Smash Apprentice
moonwalking for me was something that could only be explained to an extent to me and i just kind of had to feel it out for myself to really get the motion. making a nike swoosh with your control stick is a good refrence for learning the motion i wish i knew when i learned

SSS

Smash Ace
just do it until you get it

don't worry about others

be the man you were destined to be

follow your own path

remember

You are the won who will open the door.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Maybe some handy tips is to have enough speed from a regular dash, immediately turn around and preform the moonwalk. You can also wavedash, immediately turn around and preform the moonwalk. That's the way I do it.
You don't get any speed from dash -> turn out of dash, because turn cancels horizontal momentum when in dash. However, as I explained it makes moonwalking easier, because it kind of gives you one extra frame to bring your control stick backwards.

walk-> turn and wave(land/dash) gives you actual increased momentum in addition to making the moonwalking easier.

@ B Berble

Theoretically the nike motion isn't optimal. Going full diagonal is optimal and easy as well.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
Okay so I've been practicing for a while now and I'm getting quite comfortable pulling off the move. I actually find the semi-circle technique to be more reliable than the :GCL::GCDR::GCR: trick, although I still can only moonwalk to the right. I've also been practicing moonwalking into a grab but can only really pull it off in training mode. Trying to do this in the middle of a match is still a quite difficult.

Frotastic

Smash Rookie
You don't get any speed from dash -> turn out of dash, because turn cancels horizontal momentum when in dash. However, as I explained it makes moonwalking easier, because it kind of gives you one extra frame to bring your control stick backwards.

walk-> turn and wave(land/dash) gives you actual increased momentum in addition to making the moonwalking easier.

@ B Berble

Theoretically the nike motion isn't optimal. Going full diagonal is optimal and easy as well.
I see, thanks for the information!

MHow5

Smash Rookie
I really think it is just pure speed and muscle memory. I don't main falcon but wanted to try it out for the first time and I was able to do the short wimpy ones after feeling it out for a bit. If you practice being a fast as posible similar to wavedashing out of a shine as fast as posibl,e I don't think it matters how you do it. Just how fast

Last edited:

DraculaSb

Smash Cadet
It took me 2 weeks to do it going left. 4 months later I can now do it at all times and in either direction. However I started practicing by rolling to the edge of fd then moonwalk ledge grab. Took me 2 good weeks to moonwalk across fd going left.

Bobojack

Smash Apprentice
It took me 2 months to be able to do moonwalkchains across Final Destination without a problem.

Cursetyl

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cursetyl
Took me about 2 weeks to get it down going to the left, an extra month to learn to go right.

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone how exactly the game reads this? We do moonwalks by dash dancing except without returning the stick to neutral, does that mean if we go straight across fast enough it will still work? or do we have to have a different direction inputted for a frame during the transition?

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Ok so I went and tested, I was able to do a moon walk with a straight line across the control stick. No upward or downward deviation, straight through neutral. It is a fast motion but very possible and much easier.

MHow5

Smash Rookie
Ok so I went and tested, I was able to do a moon walk with a straight line across the control stick. No upward or downward deviation, straight through neutral. It is a fast motion but very possible and much easier.
How

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
A frame-perfect Moonwalk is frame 1 on one side and frame 2 is on the opposite, but that requires moving the stick past the deadline in less than 1/60 of a second. It's near impossible to apply in a match, though, so the triangle method is best.

Last edited:
Top Bottom