• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How is Captain Falcon worst then the 4 above him?

i.E.

Smash Apprentice
Meh. But the differences are only marginal. I respect Sakurai's balancing skills again now. Melee was a fox, marth, shiek and counter-pick fest.
You can't really be serious....this is sarcasm right lol?

This game isn't anywhere close to as balanced as melee was. Hell, ask anyone who's been around for both games. They'll tell you without hesitation. It's wishful thinking, but sakurai didn't balance this game. At all. At least Tech's gave everyone a chance in melee, but in brawl, if your character lacks priority, strength, or a projectile, there's not much in the way of "help".

I love brawl. And I main falcon.

But I'm just saying, this game is. not. balanced. Any claims you could possibly make couldn't back up your statements....everything in this game points to it being not as balanced as melee was. I'd love for you to try to explain this to me though :)

EDIT**--
I find Side B, F-Air, U-Tilt, D-Air to be a great combo for racking up damage and killing.
As for this, I'd have to guess that your opponents aren't very skilled if you're pulling off combos like this : /. If that combo worked, Falcon wouldn't be low/bottom tier. He'd be pretty godly actually. Even if raptor boost>>>Fair worked, ever....that'd be awesome. But it doesn't : /. You can easily airdodge a Fair after being raptorboosted.

Red Alloy

Smash Apprentice

This game isn't anywhere close to as balanced as melee was. Hell, ask anyone who's been around for both games. They'll tell you without hesitation. It's wishful thinking, but sakurai didn't balance this game. At all. At least Tech's gave everyone a chance in melee, but in brawl, if your character lacks priority, strength, or a projectile, there's not much in the way of "help".

But I'm just saying, this game is. not. balanced. Any claims you could possibly make couldn't back up your statements....everything in this game points to it being not as balanced as melee was. I'd love for you to try to explain this to me though :)
I think that Brawl is balanced, but it isn't balanced for 1v1 play. At least not with items off anyhow.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
I think that Brawl is balanced, but it isn't balanced for 1v1 play. At least not with items off anyhow.
Brawl with items on is random wins based on which items drop next to who, what pokemon come out of pokeballs, assist trophies same, whether or not a hammer works, whether or not a capsule explodes, etc etc. If you call random balanced, fine whatever, but it sure isn't fun to lose because of random events.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord

Techs? You mean glitches. You see I've been around for all 3 and I've always played it the way that it was meant to be played so maybe it is just my playstyle.

I play the game, not the glitch.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Techs? You mean glitches. You see I've been around for all 3 and I've always played it the way that it was meant to be played so maybe it is just my playstyle.

I play the game, not the glitch.
Ha!
What do you mean "how it's meant to be played."? If you view the game a piece of art, then it ceases to become the creators when it's the public. I doesn't matter how Sakurai wanted the game to be played. It's about how the fans have decided to play it.

Does this mean you don't auto cancel your dairs and fairs?

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Ha!
What do you mean "how it's meant to be played."? If you view the game a piece of art, then it ceases to become the creators when it's the public. I doesn't matter how Sakurai wanted the game to be played. It's about how the fans have decided to play it.

Does this mean you don't auto cancel your dairs and fairs?
Only when I really need to. But I do not feel like arguing becuase it is already the norm to hate Captain Falcon. Even though he is good, everyone knows him as "worst" and they want that so it will always be that way.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
I don't think people hate Falcon. They just recognize him as a character that is not easy to pick up and play. Let's face it, he doesn't have a lot going for him in Brawl. Hence, he is just unpopular. Nobody hates him.

People don't hate Falcon.
People pity Falcon.
People HATE Metaknight.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Now that's what I like to see in the Falcon boards! I just found this is the tier descussion section;
The better player is generally considered to be the one who wins. Winning games with a character like Captain Falcon or Ganondorf might garner some attention, but it won't, on it's own, make you more skilled than people who do the same with Meta Knight.

On that note, don't pay any attention to tiers, play as a character you like whose style suits you.
I just thought it was interesting.

Red Alloy

Smash Apprentice
Brawl with items on is random wins based on which items drop next to who, what pokemon come out of pokeballs, assist trophies same, whether or not a hammer works, whether or not a capsule explodes, etc etc. If you call random balanced, fine whatever, but it sure isn't fun to lose because of random events.
It's the only way I can even think of Brawl as closed to balanced. For example: Captain Falcon's moves are slow to come out, but they've got a lot of power. This makes it easy to break a Smash Ball, especially with his speed. His speed also helps him get to items easier. Meanwhile, you have a character like Ganondorf who's just a powerhouse and can annihilate with physical strength, but he's so slow that items don't usually come his way. Good thing he's got the bulk to resist that kind of force, right? Not to mention that explosions are effective against Meta's Tornado (see Snake's "advantage" on him), being pretty much the only thing that can even beat it.

If you've ever heard Sakurai talk about Smash Bros., you'd know that he wanted a game where everyone could win, and though I hate to say it, Brawl WAS intended to be play with items on high on banned stages. Brawl is still fun in 1v1s, but believe me, there's a reason that I still play Melee.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Why the **** would you make a fighting game where "everyone can win,"????
Where the hell is the competetive edge? What's the point of even calling it a fighting game??
If anyone and everyone can win, then it's just a ****in' around game, as opposed to anything else.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
Why the **** would you make a fighting game where "everyone can win,"????
Where the hell is the competetive edge? What's the point of even calling it a fighting game??
If anyone and everyone can win, then it's just a ****in' around game, as opposed to anything else.
You sir, are woefully uninformed. "Everyone can win" character wise is the highest goal a fighting game can internally aspire to. Guilty Gear XXAC and Virtua Fighter 5 are considered incredible games because pretty much every character is competitively viable and thus can win. With a low enough barrier of entry (i.e. technical ****), any person could win if they know what they're doing and can develop the necessary mental skills. Brawl tried for both and pretty much went 0 for 2 (although if we disregard Meta for a minute there is a large pool of tournament viable characters and the execution barrier has gotten much lower). I still think once the metagame develops around Meta, Brawl will end up more "balanced".

Just think of MK/Snake as (early) Shiek/Fox 2.0

On Topic: Think of Falcon as Kirby 2.0: simple playstyle that requires every trick in the book to make effective against the higher classes of opponent. For the sake of this analogy, his hard to hit gimps = Kirbycides

FAILchion-

OH HE'S SO PRINGLES
The Final Countdown is now playing in your head.
Samus is out of the question, sorry. She's better than the others you listed, that's for sure. She's not good, but she's nowhere near the worst level. I have trouble understanding why Ganondorf is better than Capt. Falcon, when I usually see Capt. Falcon as the winner.

But if I have to have an answer, then Yoshi's the worst. As much as I love the manliest character in Brawl, the farthest he'll be is 2nd-worst.

i.E.

Smash Apprentice
You sir, are woefully uninformed. "Everyone can win" character wise is the highest goal a fighting game can internally aspire to
He never said it wasn't a good thing if "any character" can win. He was talking about how not anyone should be able to win. Only players with enough skill should be able to win.

And that's still true in brawl. It's just A LOT MORE "noob" friendly...which, whatever...not to into that. But at the same time I'll live with it for now and keep playing till the next game comes out....

*waits for SSB4 to come out*

( ^ even though they'll probably find ways to take away from competitive play in that game too)

ALSO****-----THIS:
Yoshi's the worst
Wow, so not true it's not funny. Yoshi destroys falcon, jiggs, samus, and gdorf. Yoshi's actually rising in the tiers real quick. Real quick. Yoshi also has GOOD matchup advantages against a lot of HIGH tier characters. Even top tier (Yoshi matches up well with metaknight).

He has a good projectile.
decent approach with back air.
fastest aerial mobility in the game.
good recovery (Up B almost works like a stall).
Side B messes with people.
Moves that lead into KO moves.

Yoshi>>>>>falcon (in brawl, not terms of manliness :p)

Kino

Smash Cadet
Captain Falcon is not the worst in the game, he has a lot of potential. but if you look around these boards not many people are giving him a chance, some people play him as a tirtiary character etc. not enough people maining him, so hes not evolved his metagame as well as other characters. hopefuly soon enough we will see Falcon being played a lot better.

Many people think that he is the worst and dont bother, so noone gives him a chance. hes just a lot more difficult to play than before, hes easier to control but harder to hurt people.

But moving on from the optimism, I love falcon, but i believe he will never get out of the low tiers because he cant approach characters with projectiles. and a lot of characters have them in this game. This is something Sakurai didn't take into account when he made this game

Majora_younglink

Smash Apprentice
Captain Falcon is not the worst in the game, he has a lot of potential. but if you look around these boards not many people are giving him a chance, some people play him as a tirtiary character etc. not enough people maining him, so hes not evolved his metagame as well as other characters. hopefuly soon enough we will see Falcon being played a lot better.

Many people think that he is the worst and dont bother, so noone gives him a chance. hes just a lot more difficult to play than before, hes easier to control but harder to hurt people.

But moving on from the optimism, I love falcon, but i believe he will never get out of the low tiers because he cant approach characters with projectiles. and a lot of characters have them in this game. This is something Sakurai didn't take into account when he made this game
Thats my major problem so far. Approaching. But I think an easy way around that is to mind game the other person into coming to you.

And we do need to play in some tourneys but I'm going to personally wait until I'm confident I can win every time.

Kino

Smash Cadet
Thats my major problem so far. Approaching. But I think an easy way around that is to mind game the other person into coming to you.

And we do need to play in some tourneys but I'm going to personally wait until I'm confident I can win every time.
At this stage of the metagame i'd get a second character that can handle campers, I use falco for this, he can out-camp most people and he can shine aswell.

Its true about the approaching, its his weakness, i feign 50% of my approaches, but im confident in approaching, exept when the player camps. Im friends with a really good Wolf that loves to camp, but im gonna have to learn to get around that. Untill then, Ill counterpick.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Wow... thank you i.E. for being able to find the point I was actually making and defend me.

Yeah man, I play Falcon. Of course I want and CHARACTER to be able to win in a fighting game. I just don't want a 12 year old kid who's been playing for a week able to beat me based not on me, slacking off as a player or underestimating him, but rather a poke ball appearing in front of him twice in a row.

Top Bottom