• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How does mashing work?

Cynthia Richards

Smash Rookie
Hey there! I was wondering about mashing in Ultimate. Is there any limit to how quickly you can mash? As in will the game register it up to a certain speed or is it possible to escape grabs and shield grabs even quicker? Sometimes when I play against CPUs they escape at speeds that no human should feasibly be able to mash. Maybe it's just because they're silly. If you have any tips, on mashing quickly I'd love to hear them!

Thanks <3

T3RT1S

Level Up!
NNID
pokeLogZ
Mashing is inputting different commands at a constant rate in which you can free your character from some sort of paralysis, there are some tourney players who’re really good at mashing and can free themselves in 1-2 seconds.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
I don't really think there's any max speed besides physical limitation and basically inputting moves in as few frames as possible. Which is why CPUs can mash fast cuz they don't need to deal with the physical element. As long as you're making sure you're hitting buttons/the stick separate to get as many individual commands as possible, you should be good to go!

Last edited:

Mooer

Smash Cadet
Zero made a video about controller setup and he mentioned that he changed all directions on the D-Pad to shield. What this does is it lets you roll your thumb around the pad to register a lot of inputs very quickly. It removes your ability to taunt but it can get you out of a grab very consistently.

X3I

Smash Apprentice
Zero is just spreading misinformation at this point.
Dpad is 4 inputs, Control Stick is 8 inputs. Just make circles with the latter.

Cynthia Richards

Smash Rookie
Mashing is inputting different commands at a constant rate in which you can free your character from some sort of paralysis, there are some tourney players who’re really good at mashing and can free themselves in 1-2 seconds.
Gotcha! Yeah watching Leffen versus ZeRo I noticed he mashed Sonic fast out of the shield break. It was crazy. Thank you, pro playaaaaaa

I don't really think there's any max speed besides physical limitation and basically inputting moves in as few frames as possible. Which is why CPUs can mash fast cuz they don't need to deal with the physical element. As long as you're making sure you're hitting buttons/the stick separate to get as many individual commands as possible, you should be good to go!
Ohhh I see. That's a lot simpler than I thought. Thanks! :)

Really? I'll try this too.

Zero made a video about controller setup and he mentioned that he changed all directions on the D-Pad to shield. What this does is it lets you roll your thumb around the pad to register a lot of inputs very quickly. It removes your ability to taunt but it can get you out of a grab very consistently.
Interesting I'll test this out!

NightKev

Smash Rookie
NNID
DayKev
The amount of unique inputs (over 2) is irrelevant, just how fast you are able to make the inputs. Regardless, what's your source on the game counting the control stick as 8 unique inputs?

Edit: However, ZeRo is wrong about setting all the d-pad directions to the same input (ie: shield) working, since you need to alternate at least 2 unique inputs or release your current input for a frame before reissuing it, otherwise the game acts as if you're just holding down a single button.

Last edited:

X3I

Smash Apprentice
The amount of unique inputs (over 2) is irrelevant, just how fast you are able to make the inputs. Regardless, what's your source on the game counting the control stick as 8 unique inputs?

Edit: However, ZeRo is wrong about setting all the d-pad directions to the same input (ie: shield) working, since you need to alternate at least 2 unique inputs or release your current input for a frame before reissuing it, otherwise the game acts as if you're just holding down a single button.
Too lazy to check but I think it's in here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwfXtDiQA24
By the way another reason why Zero's thing is **** is by inputing Shield, you can do involuntarily airdodge

NightKev

Smash Rookie
NNID
DayKev
Your source actually says this about the control stick's # of inputs:
One rotation of the control stick results in 4 directional inputs (down, left, up, right). Diagonals don't count extra!
So if each d-pad button was mapped to a different input it would be roughly the same as rotating the stick. So it mostly comes down to user preference at that point. Rotating the stick is safer though, in general.

Top Bottom