• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS How do you think the controls on the 3DS will feel?

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
I'm actually kinda worried about it myself. Kid Icarus: Uprising made me fear that my triggers and circle pad would get busted eventually, with how aggressive I play Smash I really hope my circle pad doesn't end up feeling awkward, I don't see myself getting a new 3DS till the New 3DS comes out next year.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
I think they'll feel like crap tbh.

But I got major hand cramps just playing through Pokemon Y, which didn't have close to the amount of inputs Smash will have. The system is too small and doesn't fit comfortably in your hand, and the game will suffer for it.
Well for me the only game that hurt me was KIU but that was without the stand so if you still have your 3DS Stand you can use that

Niala

Smash Ace
Well for me the only game that hurt me was KIU but that was without the stand so if you still have your 3DS Stand you can use that
Well it should be noted I suffer from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, so perhaps the nerves in my wrists are more sensitive than yours. Although I do agree, KI:U was a particularly painful experience.

I don't think a solution to poor design should ever be "Spend more money on an upgrade." Out of spite and concept, I refused to buy one, although that might have to change if the WiiU release date is terribly late in the year.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Well it should be noted I suffer from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, so perhaps the nerves in my wrists are more sensitive than yours. Although I do agree, KI:U was a particularly painful experience.

I don't think a solution to poor design should ever be "Spend more money on an upgrade." Out of spite and concept, I refused to buy one, although that might have to change if the WiiU release date is terribly late in the year.
Ah Well If Your Wrists are particularly sensitive then The Stand Should help I mean I helped a lot in KI:U since you don't hold it like say the GamePad you can easily lie down and put your hands and the 3DS But I think the main of my worries is the Circle Pad breaking

Beczam1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Beczam1290
3DS FC
1075-1410-3647
I've actually have played a lot of Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion, and I personally think that's as close as you can get to Smash 3DS. I personally think I'll be able to jump in pretty quickly.
Good I'm not the only one who played that game I think it is pretty close to smash so I will be able to jump in quickly.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
If nothing else, Id expect that the difference in controls between the 3DS and Wii U versions would definitely have an effect on tournament or even casual play to the point where the mind games for playing tourney are different and spectating each of the two will be an entirely different experience. Interested to see if the effect of the difference in gameplay will sink all the way to the commentary level, and commentators like Prog Cabin and such have to kind of think in a different mindset for commentating 3DS mode.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
I think they'll feel like crap tbh.

But I got major hand cramps just playing through Pokemon Y, which didn't have close to the amount of inputs Smash will have. The system is too small and doesn't fit comfortably in your hand, and the game will suffer for it.
Oh boy how hard I would laugh if they had to make N64-esque game gloves like they did for Mario Party 1 and 2.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I bought a gaming grip for my 3DS for extra comfort. I will miss the Z-Button for grabs though.

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
It will take some time to adjust but I think it will be just fine.

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
I can only hope for Circle Pad Pro support. I depend on my C-stick to pull off aerials and quick smashes. Then again I'd have unscrew my Nyko battery pack. #FirstWorldProblems

Khao

Smash Lord
I'll never understand why people need a button to jump... Maybe I just don't use up tilts enough...
It's because pressing up controls more things than just your jump.

Plus, nearly every platformer ever has a separate button for jumping, Smash having one follows the trend, it's just far more comfortable overall.

tupelocase

Smash Cadet
The only thing that even slightly worries me is acclimating to using the Circle Pad in a hyper specific way. My hands are really big so getting my brain to learn which way pushes it up is remarkably difficult.
Although if I throw about 100 hours at it I think the problem will fade away.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
KIU did have some rather strange controls. They were difficult at first, but I feel like they were pretty spot on after I got used them, I just had to rest my 3DS against something whenever I played it so my hand wouldn't hurt.

Admittedly, I'm worried about the Circle Pad, considering how hard I thrash the analog stick on my Gamecube Controller..

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I played the 3DS version twice back at Best Buy's Smash Fest. Like others have said, it feels very easy to control but the lack of C-stick might be a problem to some players. I actually like how "L" is shield and "R" is grab since I usually grab on the right side of the Gamecube controller.

Lant

Smash Journeyman
Can't really imagine what it'd be like to play Smash on the 3DS (especially with but one analog stick) but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I've tried out a 3DS during the gamestop demo, and all I can say about the 3DS as a controller is that it felt very awkward to use. Maybe it will be better if you get used to it, but button wise it is pretty similar to a gamecube controller so idk. I think it is mostly the shape that made it feel weird.

Last edited:

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
I'm a little worried, but I shouldn't be honestly. I played Greninja at the demo so of course I don't know how to play a newcomer with new controls so I was having a bad time, but everyone I've talked to who played the vets and spent more time with it said it felt good. I also played Persona 4 Arena like a day before so I was attempting to play with that control scheme in mind, oops

Dragonspiller

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dragonspiller
3DS FC
0748-2110-7145
Might be a little awkward but I will get used to it.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Go play Kirby Fighters Z. Now you know pretty exactly how Smash will feel on a 3ds.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
I played it, and it felt like the classic controller with the +Control Pad and Control Stick (Circle Pad) swapped.

Last edited:

JUr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JorgeUr
3DS FC
4957-3388-8097
I played it, and it felt like the classic controller with the +Control Pad and Control Stick (Circle Pad) swapped.
Well... Those days of practice in Brawl could be useful...

I know that the physics are different, I'm talking about the layout of buttons...

I'm nervous about the circle pad, but I haven't heard complaints about it from people who played it yet.

I just feel like it's fragile, and barely handling skating in Pokémon Y as it is, let alone the abuse that Smash will give it.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm nervous about the circle pad, but I haven't heard complaints about it from people who played it yet.

I just feel like it's fragile, and barely handling skating in Pokémon Y as it is, let alone the abuse that Smash will give it.
After 999 hours of KIU, I can safely say it can stand anything SSB has to offer. I'd say KIU would be worse on your 3DS then Smash would, honestly.

...Unless you're my brother who has to tap the buttons so fast and loudly that you can hear him play two rooms over.

Top Bottom