• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you see the future of competitive SSBM?

SAUS

Smash Ace
I found a bunch of people at my university that play and they are obviously not on my level (I 3-4 stock them with falcon every time... unless I suicide, but those don't really count). After whooping their butts really badly (they thought they were pretty good), they've been inspired to get good at the game. There's a group of people that host weekly smashfests that I am trying to start attending (not very easy for me due to location and time). It's not a ton of people, but these people will keep playing for quite a while. The smashfest group probably won't switch to ssb4 either unless it's miraculously good, but I highly doubt it will be.

PS the smash brothers documentary is freaking awesome. On episode 6 right now. I really love the soundtrack too. That techno trance song in the first 2 episodes is epic.

SAUS

Smash Ace
for a smaller community to grow, is it better to make more smashfests than tournies or more tournies than smashfests?
I'd say both. Smash fests can be good for very local people, but a small group can get bored when there is no MAJOR goal (ie beat these guys from another city). Tournaments are a great way to get smaller groups within the community to meet other groups in the community. You need both.

Chin-Chillin'

Smash Rookie
I think "The Smash Brothers" doc is going to save smash single-handedly. I know it's made me wanna start playing again

Zodiac

Smash Master
For the first time in a while we had a tournament in Oregon with 50 melee entrants, in fact I can't remember the last time we had a tournament that big to be honest, some people came from Washington and Idaho but for the most part, it was Oregon, because of The smash Doc and Evo a lot more people are playing, the future of comp. melee is looking good.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Yeah lots of new faces coming in, so make sure to keep them coming. I've noticed a few don't feel like playing after a couple if losses. I mean, trounce them so they learn but encourage them so they come back to get wrecked again (getting wrecked can be fun...I guess when you lose less and less it is amazing)

Quot3

Melee'er
3DS FC
4253-4705-1339
The doc plus evo this past summer have been real game changers in bringing people in to the community, if melee is at evo again in 2014 along with the release of Smash 4 I can see the scene growing monumentally next year

Top Bottom