• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you react when someone is destroying you ?

Blablabug

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone ! :dedede:
Except if you're a pro player, you must have already met players versus who you could not do a lot.
Me, I usually leave after 2 defeats in a row but I stay sometimes when I think I can improve myself by fighting this opponent.
What about you ? Are you that kind of player who stay because you're angry ? Or maybe you are one who switch to the "OP" character ? You could also be someone like me. You are free to tell it if you want !

drewzzins

Smash Cadet
NNID
Drew_Swagger
3DS FC
1650-3438-5790
Hey, it happens. I'm good but there are times where I get destroyed. I stay for as long as I can stand it.

I see your a DDD player. We should do some Dittos sometime.

D

Deleted member 269706

If I'm being destroyed by a spammer or someone using the same tactic over and over, and I know that I'm becoming too aggressive and making it easier for them, I'll just end the match. Assuming it's a skilled player however, I'll keep going til the end.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I always get mad when I'm losing, regardless how they do it, it also slightly fustrates me when they juggle me and I can't seem to escape it (mostly due to good Mario players).

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Dedede is probably my worst matchup personally, so I tend to avoid it until I get more pointers on what to actually do in that MU. That's just in FG though, there haven't been many times since my first week of playing in FG where I've been flat out annihilated in a match.

Playing with people from my friends list is a different story though. I can appreciate a good beating because they can actually offer feedback and vice versa. It's a lot more beneficial than getting bopped back to back in FG while not fully understanding my mistakes.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
I get pissed and then attempt to smash my controller/3DS and then immediately regret my actions because I broke it.

That or I'll just leave after continued losses.

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
If I'm being destroyed by a spammer or someone using the same tactic over and over, and I know that I'm becoming too aggressive and making it easier for them, I'll just end the match. Assuming it's a skilled player however, I'll keep going til the end.
Pretty much this. If they're spamming, I leave. If they're good, i'll take the opportunity to go 'tryhard', if you will, in an attempt to see just how good I truly am when at 110%. Win or lose, I usually play those types until they leave or I have to go. It's good practice.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It depends on the character. There are times where I would like to keep fighting someone winning easily to try and improve, but there are times when I get so destroyed so fast that I couldn't possibly learn anything from the experience.

Lozzy

Smash Rookie
NNID
eey_b0ss
3DS FC
3539-9024-8068
I get irritated in pretty much any match against Link or DHD. All these people do is mash B for 1 minute for easy damage, roll all over the place then land a SINGLE smash attack for a stock. Rinse and repeat. I love changing to R.O.B and spamming my side-B. Some of them are still stupid enough to keep spamming projectiles in this scenario.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
If it's from a very skilled player I like to go a few matches and record what combos they can pull off and what mistakes I made. If it's from a noob that I lose to for stupid reasons (like lag) or if they are a spammers I just leave.

I kind of stored playing for glory just becuase it futasion for me.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
When I first started, I'd finish the match, and then I'd leave the room to go fight someone else.

I stopped doing this, though. Now when someone beats me, I continue to fight me and record any battles I did well enough in or any ditto matches I had. After I start to get bored, frustrated, or when they leave the room, I go and watch the replays to see what I did right and what I did wrong(and in the case of ditto matches, what they did right so I can compare them side-by-side).

It works well enough for me. I recently manged to improve my Lucario's air game because of a ditto match I had.

Last edited:

Supbros

Smash Rookie
I am probably a minority but I love losing! Finding someone that is better than me is a thrill, I honestly think 2 stocking someone every game isn't very fun because there is absoloutly no challenge to it.

OnettGirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Antagonistgreen
3DS FC
4742-5570-4170
When I'm getting destroyed I get all flustered and locked up. I start trying too hard and that makes my playing sloppy. If it's at a tournament I will pretty much shut down and that'll be the end of my run. On for glory i'll just keep going and progressively get worse and worse and have to take a break to cool my head. I let the stress get to me and get this idea or fear running through my head that everyone is now watching me and waiting for me to fail and say how much I suck. Comes with low self esteem. Admittedly it's something I really need to work on. It has gotten in the way of a tournament in the past.

If i'm getting destroyed by friends i'll just laugh it off. Makes me want to fight harder. I really don't care because their my friends. It's all in good fun. We have a good time and learn from each other. It's when I fail in front of people I don't know and my fear of being judged that I fall apart.

Demonstormkill

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-6919-7589
I go partly on tilt and play more aggressively, as it's just part of my style, but I've learned not to actually lose my head when I do. My opponent often thinks I'm totally tilted or doesn't know what to make of the change in my play, and it often creates the chance to turn the game around even against clearly better technical players.

I always believe I can win even after I've been 2-stocked several matches in a row. The reason is that I know how to play better than I am, and it's a matter of input accuracy to see better results. I take note of what things this player does that I haven't seen and try to counter them step by step. I don't allow them to make me limit my own options, refusing to be conditioned. It usually doesn't lead to a win, but better results. This mindset helps keep most better players interested in sticking around. I save replays of notable games and rewatch them later. I tend to play very well afterwards and beat the next opponents, and the next time I play someone similar I'm far more able to keep up.

It took me awhile to come around to this approach, but it's given me fast improvement recently. I hope someone else finds any of this advice helpful.

missla

Smash Rookie
NNID
missla
3DS FC
5472-8401-1251
If they seem like an opponent that I can figure out and get better against and learn something from, I keep fighting them no matter how often I keep losing so I can practice.

If they're an opponent that's so far out of my league that I can't even touch them or begin to comprehend what I need to do to improve on them, I'll leave after a couple matches.

If I'm fighting against a spambot, I can usually figure out a way around what they're doing because they're consistent, then I fight them until I start winning and they leave.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
When I find someone who's a challenge, I tend to continue fighting until one of us leaves the room.

Most notable beatdowns I've received came from an Ike player on 3DS and a Dedede on Wii U; both of them swept through all of my mains like a hot knife in a stick of butter.

Moustachio

Smash Apprentice
Those are the players I'm looking for. If I find one, I'll leave only if I win 2 matches in a row. Otherwise, I'll keep losing or swapping wins until the other player leaves. This way it forces me to stay and learn how to overcome the challenges, only leaving once I've cleared my path.

Top Bottom