• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you practice?

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Playing real people is almost always the best thing. Online is better then nothing and computers are for testing and trying out new techniques.

Edit: What happened to the Q&A Thread?

EggFlip

Smash Cadet
yer, i guess i'll just stick to online then...

It's just annoying when none of my friends are on and i'm forced to play that 2minute timed shiz (I much prefer stocked games)

Saran Hasnor

Smash Rookie
If you don't have friends available, you can try going for a fast Brawl (1.5x speed) against CPUs, and giving yourself an handicap. Not as good as Brawling real players, but it helps for prediction and reaction time.

EggFlip

Smash Cadet
mmmk, i've got my little 9 yr old brother but he's only slightly harder than a couple of level 9's (I can usually beat him losing only one or two stock out of 10)

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
The best way to practice to play offline with other people. It helps you develop your game and make you learn what can be punished, what will be punished and how if affects the way you play. I try to play on the weekends with friends. On the weekdays, I hardly play any more because computers are really bad to learn against.
When playing against computers, you shouldn't actually be trying to beat them, but rather learn your spacing of your moves and what works against certain people and recognizing different situations.
Online play is very different from offline play. The lag has a huge impact on the way you play your game. Some people (like myself) are very style oriented on being nearly frame perfect. My game is very crippled when I play online. If I were to learn to play online, my style of play would be very different than it is now.
I suggest you go to local tournaments and try to play as many friendlies with people as you can. It's the best way to learn.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
I pratice by going on all-star mode, picking intense, and making sure i don't lose a stock or go over 50% damage.

seriously. i have yet to do this btw.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing with the offline play with friends. My only gripe is how they're hardly available and my R.O.B. playstyle is marred with lag. All I ever do is play against level 9 computers, which does nothing as I can beat a computer Meta Knight with ease using R.O.B., who is said to be R.O.B.'s most difficult match-up. For online, I've only one friend who rarely is online, and never plays competitively, forcing me into the random realm of Basic Brawl. I got so tired with the way Basic Brawl works, that I find myself screwing around for no reason. That said, if you're in Basic Brawl, and you see a pink R.O.B. spinning, taunting, playing with items and doing anything other than fighting, then that's probably me. The spinning is sort of a signature of mine. XD

DARKDRAGONHIEI

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4828-5788-9766
i usually don't pracite much(which is why i bite) because there not many people i know who play brawl, like they all say its best to practice with a human offline and online is better than nothing ^_^'

NBS

Smash Rookie
Level 7 computers, as level 9 are too hard and not realistic at all. Level 7 is easier and more realistic, it better prepares you for tournaments.

mobilisq

Smash Ace
i get drunk with people that arent into the smash scene and then goad them into playing

theyre drunk so they dont care that they always lose

that or i screw around in training mode and set the cpu to avoid

UberMario

Smash Master
Level 7 computers, as level 9 are too hard and not realistic at all. Level 7 is easier and more realistic, it better prepares you for tournaments.
Level 9 CPUs aren't hard, heck with most characters 1-vs-2/3 AI is pretty reasonable. >_>

And I usually alternate between going into Training mode [when alone], setting the AI to keep away, and trying to combo them or I test combos/stage strateges online. I also occasionally test move priorities in training mode by setting it to 1/4 speed and using two controllers at the same time. (That way it's easier to hit with a specific part of the attack, but obviously I wouldn't play at 1/4 speed, heck I prefer Fast Brawl over regular Brawl)

platomaker

Smash Journeyman
allisbrawl.com

chatrooms with friend codes in peep's status. they even have separate chatrooms for people with greater skill level.

Top Bottom