• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you play music while you smash?

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
I turn the music off in the game and turn the sound effects all the way up, then me and my friends play music from my computer off spotify and youtube. How do you listen to music while you smash?

InitialK

I'm that TO Guy
I do the exact same thing but instead of both I only use spotify.

I do wish I had dual screens though so I wouldn't have to minimize so much.

sigh.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
@ Duplighost Duplighost So do you turn the music off in the game and just play with sound effects only, or do you just leave the stage music on? I mainly play PM, and since you can load custom music into the sd card I think it's more expected. I have a mac so i can't change my copy of pm's music though.

Last edited:

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
@ Duplighost Duplighost So do you turn the music off in the game and just play with sound effects only, or do you just leave the stage music on? I mainly play PM, and since you can load custom music into the sd card I think it's more expected. I have a mac so i can't change my copy of pm's music though.
I leave stage music on.
After reading this thread, though, I'll have to experiment with my own music.

Ipskies

Smash Rookie
If I'm focusing on a game I'll usually put one or two songs on repeat, so audio distractions are minimized. If I'm just playing casually I'll usually pull up Spotify and play something from there.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I listen to all my favorite jams on Spotify and sometimes repeat the same ones just to keep me motivated.

DV8R001

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1435-4406-8453
I listen to a lot of music, I seem to play better when I have my ear-buds and prog-rock, just because I'm easily distracted by outside sounds. I'm easily distracted, & my eye-sight's poor so I need all the focus I can get.

whoknowswhat

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1864-9884-2286
Usually something angry like sum power electronics or harsh noise.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
I play music from my phone. Headphones on, and, BAM! I'm instantly better at Smash.

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
I listen to music on my PSP with wireless Logitech Headphones.
Usually when I'm at home I'm not listening to music while I smash, but if I do, I'll put on some cheap ass headphones and listen to some faster, higher energy stuff or very emotional slow music as I play. It usually helps, but with varying factors. Certain songs help certain characters, it seems.

Peff

Smash Cadet
I send audio from my TV to my mixer (a DJ controller/mixer, of all things) with analog cables. Then I have my mixer set up to my computer via USB, set up as the primary audio playback device. I plug my headphones into my mixer's output and I can hear the sound effects from the game as well as the music I'm playing. It's nice. I listen to intense jams and get pumped as fug, even though it just makes me play worse. I do best when I'm just listening to the sound effects only.

The set-up is actually pretty goofy, since it's weird how my DDJ-SR can even work as a playback device for my computer to begin with.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

All game audio off. Then usually listen to music on Youtube through my speakers.

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
I turn off the music in the game, then listen to my "get hype" playlist on my laptop using headphones. You'd be surprised by how much Metal Gear Rising's soundtrack can improve my game.

Fox who?

Smash Cadet
NNID
xanhil
3DS FC
4957-6199-7845
I play no music, sound effects only, Final Destination.
Lolz

I'll turn off the music on the game and turn on some spotify. Usually something chill, since I mainly play smash to unwind. Anything from U2 to Pink Floyd to Aphex Twin. If I'm playing seriously with someone, I leave the music as is and simply play. I like to at least be able to hear my opponent, spoken and unspoken noise.

Last edited:

Doctor Wario

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4313-0727-2141
Most of the time I use the in-game music, but other times I will turn on my own music, and turn the music in-game completely off.

Top Bottom