• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you input aerials?

What input do you think is more reliable, or quicker when using an aerial? (other than a nair)

• Total voters

aidspup

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aidspup
3DS FC
0688-5524-0749
Just wondering what the better input choice is for aerials ( c stick, or a button)

Dessro

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lopezisbeast
I personally always use c stick, makes for more accurate aerials IMO. If I try to use A I always end up doing a dair instead of fair due to the fact that I'm fastfalling and inputting it near the same time.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I use the A button because I play on the 3DS therefore I don't have a choice.
I don't use the C-Stick even when I play Melee or PM, really...

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I usually go for A button, if I want to keep momentum I'll use the second stick instead. I tend to use the stick for FAir because I can move backwards while using it or hovering in place instead of moving forward, same goes for BAir, I could move forward while using it. So for more tricky aerial stuff I use the stick, otherwise I just use A and the direction.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
My thumb's generally at the A button already, so using the C-stick for aerials means I have to move my thumb a greater distance, therefore I just use A. With the X button and the A button so close together, you can preform aerials straight off the ground, too.

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
I use the C-Stick when I play on the WII U at my brother's. My aerials are usually more accurate on the 3DS analogue stick though since that's the platform I have for regular practicing.

Konneh

Smash Cadet
It really depends on the aerial, and which button I jump with. Most fullhop aerials I'll input with C-Stick since I FH with a shoulder button, when I have a tight SH Aerial I usually SH with Y, so my thumb just presses A instead of going all the way down to the C-Stick.
I don't think there is an objectively better way, keeping your retreating momentum on retreating Fairs might slightly favor the C-Stick, but I believe it comes down to execution.

Kealmir

Smash Cadet
If you're doing SH Uair's I recommend using the C-stick as it's harder to accidentally jump cancel into an Up smash.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I always Dair with the c-stick, because sometimes I accidently fastfall when inputting it using the A button

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
Mostly c-stick. It's not much of a big difference but being able to B-air while moving forward helps with spacing and making sure your DI doesn't get messed up (cause you would be inputting the attack with your analog stick.)

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
C-stick, definitely.
I see enough posts saying that A button is used because you could jump and attack at the same time. The best option is to set a shoulder button to jump. That way, you retain all the advantages of using the C-stick (more precision, retreating/fastfall aerials, etc.) while also retaining the only advantage A button offers (Jump and attack at the same time).

The only downside to the setup of shoulder button to jump and always use C-stick is...... it feels a bit odd for the 15 minutes before you get used to it?

EleH

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssbguy13
3DS FC
3136-7287-8530
I do any way I want to, thank you very much :shades:

Jk. For me, it's both. Since I play both versions of the game (and thanks to my original 3DS), I have to play with both.

Top Bottom