• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U How do you feel about the controls?

Ferblantier

Smash Apprentice
The controls in this game are, well, different from your average Gamecube controller or Wii Remote. or DK Bongos But how do you feel about them? Are they good? Are they bad? Do you make a lot of mistakes? Would you rather play on DK Bongos?

Nebulax

Smash Cadet
I don't like playing on the 3ds much. The controls are unbearable at times.

I'd rather play on DK bongos.

Noga

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4768-7800-6903
I got used to the control, but the 3ds controller isn't the best to play smash.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm mostly frustrated with the lack of directional pad support for movement. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D had that ability, so why Smash 3DS doesn't have it is beyond me, especially since taunts could always be assigned to a single button.

D

Deleted member 269706

I really don't mind it. Yeah, I screw up once in a while, but I don't hate it as much as everyone else seems to. Don't get me wrong, compared to other controllers, this is nothing special, but for what it is, I really don't mind it.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Controls are fine, but the circle pad lacks the precision that most players want. Also, for some, it can start to hurt after playing with the 3DS for so long, so there is the comfort to take into consideration there.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Controls are fine, but the circle pad lacks the precision that most players want. Also, for some, it can start to hurt after playing with the 3DS for so long, so there is the comfort to take into consideration there.
No it is not just you, I like 'em too. Of course, I play on a 3DSXL and I would much rather have a GC controller, but still.
Agreed, I've gotten used to the controls and enjoy playing on my 3DSXL (I definitely wouldn't handle 3ds size). The circle pad does lack precision as DAK075 has said, I find myself sometimes incorrectly inputting pivots or doing smash attacks when I mean to do tilts. The 3ds controls aren't the best, but it doesn't severely hinder gameplay.

hsuperill

Smash Rookie
I don't mind the controls, but the ergonomics (or lack thereof?) of the 3DSXL is really rough on the hands if you're playing for an extended amount of time.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
I don't understand how anyone can play this game on a 3DS. I have a 2DS and it's just perfect. It's like having a controller in hand.

Grass

Smash Lord
Controls are terrible like I presumed. When Melee first came out, I was thinking about a portable smash at the time. But as I weighed the variables, I realized portable smash was a bad idea. Case in point, the 3DS. <_< to no one's surprise.

M.C.Jeducation

Smash Apprentice
I really don't mind the controls. Of course I much prefer the gamecube controller, but I think that the negatives of the controls are worth it simply for the ability to play smash anywhere.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
A lot better than I was expecting. But I'm definitely looking forward to getting the Wii U version. I want a controller that fits in my hands, has a C-stick, and has enough buttons that I can reasonably use a shoulder button to jump.

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
WiiU feels quite like the cube to me, but I have big hands. 3DS controls make shielding and throwing awkward for me

SatoshiM

Smash Cadet
I like the controls on 3ds a LOT more than WiiU. So much that I don't play the WiiU version online because it doesn't support 3ds as a controller (just why, exactly?). I have a GC controller but after a month of playing the 3ds version I just can't bring myself to like it, I feel like all my moves are slow and badly spaced with a GC controller but much better with a 3ds.

SpScarecrow

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4699-7829-1600
I play with X shield Y Jump B special and A attack. Dont touch the shoulder buttons at all. Reminds me of 4 button air dashers and i can roll cancel grab easily. I just wish the circle pad was a little bigger. It'll be awesome playing on the New 3ds though......C nub hype!

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
the controls are about as good as they could get it... Although its not the BEST way to play smash, its works just fine.

D

Deleted member

I don't have any issues whatsoever with it. My only problem is the lack of a cstick. Other than that, I think the controls feel pretty good.
:170:

LIVERPOOP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MartinSkrtel37
3DS FC
0130-1906-5039
I love the controls. I even went back to Melee to see the differences and found the control stick to be huge, I've really grown to like the slide-pad of the 3DS.

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
I don't mind it, especially when I'm sitting on the can and have nothing better to do, better not the best controls than no controls, but I have to admit, I prefer even the Wii U Gamepad over the 3DS, mostly because I like having the second stick as a way to guarantee smashes so I won't accidentally tilt instead. it doesn't help that after going back to the 3ds when I originally got the Wii U Sm4sh and used the pad, it felt like I was playing Super Smash Brothers For Ants.

Also, how can anybody play on the 3ds at all without one of those ergonomic controller backings? I have one and even if it's not as portable, it feels much better in terms of grip.

jxthrx

Smash Rookie
NNID
jxthrx
honestly i'm in love with the button layout compared to the GC controller. using X to shield, Y for jump, and B/A for special/attack just feels infinitely more comfortable than it did using the same configuration with the GC controller.

But the circle pad just feels terrible. I find myself constantly smashing when i mean to tilt, or dash attacking when i meant to smash, and not to mention that it's managed to screw me out of a recovery or two. If we had a true analog stick it would make playing much more comfortable, at least IMO.

luminouskaiser

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lewmonkaizer
3DS FC
0774-4536-1115
I haven't tried out the Gamecube controller, but i'm satisfied with the controls in the 3DS version. And i feel like i'm definitely going to enjoy the Gamecube controller when i get the adapter for it and the Wii U version,

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
The 3DS controls aren't that bad. They could be if you don't know the 3DS's layout all that well or something.
I think the lack of c-stick for now and the fact that many people find the circle pad to be inaccurate and causes a lot of crucial mess-ups. That being said, if I play Smash, I usually play it on the 3ds due to the fact that I can't really find an opportunity to play on my Wii-U, and if you can get used to the circle pads mess ups, the 3ds controls are absolutely fine.

Makes me wish I could use the 3DS controls on Wii-U For Glory for when I AM able to play on it, actually.

Last edited:

SatoshiM

Smash Cadet
Honestly I find the GC controls to be more inaccurate (to me, not in general) than the 3ds stick. I'm just not used to using a GC Controller after playing 3ds for a year and having quit Smash for about a year before 4 was announced. I don't think the GC controller offers any massive advantages besides the cstick (which I don't think is that huge, I never was much for cstick aerials) and once the new 3ds comes out with a cstick there isn't really an advantage at all. I can perfect pivot and dashdance on the 3ds version just fine after hours of practice, I don't think using a 3ds is as crippling as people make it out to be.

FGC-Oni

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FGC-Oni
3DS FC
0430-8323-9211
Do you guys use the c-stick for tilts or smashes? I plan on picking up a "New" 3DS once they hit shelves in America but I've never played smash with a c-stick before.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The only complaint I have is the lack of a C-Stick. Then again, that has forced me to get better at using the circle pad.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
The only complaint I have is the lack of a C-Stick. Then again, that has forced me to get better at using the circle pad.
Not like thats gonna be an issue when the New 3DS comes out everywhere else... That little C-Nub is making me crave it...

missla

Smash Rookie
NNID
missla
3DS FC
5472-8401-1251
Yeah, the circle pad is the only thing I'm not fond of. It ruins my smash attacks sometimes and, though it's rare, it has happened where my recovery was screwed up because I wanted side-B and it registered as down-B. Otherwise, you have the option of switching the rest of the controls around. I found that shielding with R was inconvenient for my hand placement, so I assigned shield to one of my jump buttons (you don't actually need two of them, right?) and I've been playing much better since.

CaptainPressTheXButton

Smash Rookie
NNID
CptPressX
While nothing will beat the GC controller, the 3DS much better than using the Wii Remote, Classic, or Pro Controllers. There is something about the circle pad, while it does feel like it might break sometimes, that feels comfortable.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I still like the 3DS controls despite the broken circle pad (need to make the rubber part stick).

Top Bottom