• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you deal with get up attack?

sskylann

Smash Rookie
I am really working on Luigi's ability to tech chase off of down throw, and I can normally cover everything, except get up attack. I do realize that I am supposed to just do a jab reset, but sometimes I miss it and then people normally go for the getup attack. My issues are:

1. if I stand on/near them and hold shield, I normally get pushed too far back due to Luigi's traction

2. if I wavedash back, then wavedash in, I miss my window to punish

3. whenever i tried to spot dodge the getup attack I normally get grabbed afterwards, or just miss time the spot dodge all together.

Also, with tech chasing on platforms, whenever they miss the tech, I always like to try to get the down air in, but if I miss time it, and they go for the getup attack, I am never sure on what to do. I either get hit by it instantly, of they don't press A until A jump above them and since Luigi is so floaty, I normally get caught by it.

I'd really like to hear what all you other Luigi mains like to do! Thanks! Maybe I am just bad and need to work on the 3 options above more lol.

lightvash

Smash Cadet
against most characters I've tested, you can hold your shield towards the character, and then jump forward air to punish their getup attack. sometimes if you're still in the wavedash animation and shielding towards the character, you can even grab because the momentum you have from wavedashing gets you even closer

Flurb18

Smash Cadet
You need to work on the second option more, that does work if you are good at spacing and timing. I find that shield is very good. Just don't grab like you would with normal characters - wavedash out of shield to punish of choice (dsmash is good). Again this requires spacing and timing, but what in melee doesn't?

Also, if they're at high percent and you're already next to them, crouch cancelled shoryuken works :p

sskylann

Smash Rookie
against most characters I've tested, you can hold your shield towards the character, and then jump forward air to punish their getup attack. sometimes if you're still in the wavedash animation and shielding towards the character, you can even grab because the momentum you have from wavedashing gets you even closer
Thank you! Ive been working on the hold shield towards and jump fair, and it works well so far!

You need to work on the second option more, that does work if you are good at spacing and timing. I find that shield is very good. Just don't grab like you would with normal characters - wavedash out of shield to punish of choice (dsmash is good). Again this requires spacing and timing, but what in melee doesn't?

Also, if they're at high percent and you're already next to them, crouch cancelled shoryuken works :p
Yea, the second option works well when I don't miss :p. Normally is the most beneficial option when they fall for the bait.

Top Bottom