• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you beat a level 9 computer without a projectile character

should nintendo make unbeatable ai's

• 9 is enough

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • level 20

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters

Dabble Dot

Smash Cadet
I can destroy level 9 characters with toon link but thats cause the ai cant predict my bombs. When Im someone like luigi I have a lot of trouble past 8.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Super hard reads and lots of luck.

Seriously, playing against Level 9 CPUs can be a pain with non-projectile characters, especially in the air, since they tend to have frame perfect reactions. I'm surprised you can beat them out with projectiles only as you can lol :p

Rubiss

Smash Cadet
Treat them like a very predictable player. Throw out only safe moves, do only combos (whenever possible) and edge-guard. Computer players do not adapt well. Do note that they read your inputs and react perfectly to what you do. You cannot bait air-dodges, as they will never do it unless you attack. They also seem pretty weak to grabs. I don't notice them spot-dodge excessively or anything.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Side-question: Why do you even need to worry about Level 9 CPUs all that much? They aren't very good for training, if that's what you're using them for. They also don't showcase anyone's level of skill in the slightest.
Anyway, you have to be very smart, and know the trick to beat them, since there's always an exploit or two. See why training with them is bad? If you play with them enough, you do notice all of the LVL9 characters kind of follow the same basic AI. For example: If you're at high percent and get Smashed far off to the side of the screen, once you get somewhat close to the stage, they will almost always jump off stage and try to edgeguard you, in arguably a very unsafe manner, they're basically begging to get spiked.
Once you learn what they do, they're pretty easy to beat.

Rubiss

Smash Cadet
Side-question: Why do you even need to worry about Level 9 CPUs all that much? They aren't very good for training, if that's what you're using them for. They also don't showcase anyone's level of skill in the slightest.
Anyway, you have to be very smart, and know the trick to beat them, since there's always an exploit or two. See why training with them is bad? If you play with them enough, you do notice all of the LVL9 characters kind of follow the same basic AI. For example: If you're at high percent and get Smashed far off to the side of the screen, once you get somewhat close to the stage, they will almost always jump off stage and try to edgeguard you, in arguably a very unsafe manner, they're basically begging to get spiked.
LV9 CPUs do punish unsafe moves. They can also help you notice any bad habits you develop (though they can also breed bad habits). I would say facing them every so often isn't bad.

Dabble Dot

Smash Cadet
While on the go I play 3ds smash but without wifi. At home I play for glory on my wii u. sometimes nintendo's internet goes down.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I have something I like to call comp stomp mode...

Lots of dash attacks, lots of smashes, and just about nothing that the advanced players do... as they have the ability to air dodge anything dodgeable.

There will be times when the computer decides "I am going to win, you are not..." mostly likely when you are going for win classic without losing a life... but unfortunately the AI is terribly programmed where simplistic tactics work best.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
lol pit has no safe moves, none. I hate him in this game. actually never mind i hate this game and its crap AI and crap online mode
Why that salt?
I mean, seriously,
Are you seriously gonna act like the AI in the previous games was any better? Melee's Level 9 CPUs were really jab happy, would SD all the time, and sometimes had reactions that would make TASers blush.

11wildy

Smash Rookie
A great tip that helps me beat them is to make them attack. If you attack, they will dodge frame-perfect. If you make them attack, they will use unsafe moves, making you able to punish them. So it's usually better to stand still and dodge them than to randomly throw out moves :p

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Typically waiting for them to make the first move or getting them into the air is usually the best option. The AI can be super predictable but also a load of BS so it varies from time to time.

I play a mini-game with my friends all the time where we have to face a lvl 9 CPU with 10 stocks while all we have is one. Thanks to that I'd say I'm fairly familiar with CPU's habits lol.

D

Deleted member 269706

Get them off stage and gimp their recovery. Its super predictable. Also use grabs. Grabs are good.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
You just gotta punish grounded comitments, the CPU isn't very good at using moves that would be safe in the current situation they are in but you are! if you can perfect shield their stuff you are pretty much good! You will never hit them in the air unless they use a laggy aerial or something that doesn't autocancel close to the floor. In other words, be pacient as all hell and you will do fine! I should know, I wreck lv9s with :4kirby: quite easily.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
lol pit has no safe moves, none. I hate him in this game. actually never mind i hate this game and its crap AI and crap online mode
Nair is effectively unpunishable when used correctly for starters... Pit's actually very safe, moreso then any other swordsman. I could say a lot of things about how effective Pit is in this game, being that multiple top players are ranking him and his twin in the top fifteen, but this isn't the time or the place.

One thing people tend to overlook with the CPUs is that they don't act out of a hit as fast as possible, meaning that combos work for much longer then they should and results in kill combos that otherwise wouldn't work, well, working. Pit can Dthrow, double jump and then Uair a CPU at percents that would kill, when a human could easily escape on reaction.

Modkiq

Smash Rookie
NNID
Modkiq
From my experience lvl 9 CPUs are stupif af. I am able to more or less spam smash attacks and beat them with a character like Mario or Kirby.

PsychoPuff23

Smash Rookie
my Little brothers Won against LVL9 Sheik with Slammondorf.:yeahboi:
personally I use Shulk who is my "Lvl9 destroyer"

Brandybuck

Smash Rookie
I can beat L9's pretty reliably with Shulk. I think maybe it's because he works well with a responsive playstyle which works really well against CPU's?
Also about 75% win rate with all my funsies (except Bayo), you just have to catch them doing dumb things. Like rolling. L9 is roll-central.
(But I mean, you can 2-stock L9 really easy with Villager by spamming tree which is not a good idea against a person, so be caeful not to get bad habits)

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Funny how much everyone criticizes rolling excessively, but, if the Level 9s are anything to go by... The game kind of wants to encourage that sort of thing.
Or are you guys gonna tell me that you never noticed that when you're KO'd, respawn and are invincible, all the LVL9 CPUs do is spam rolls and spotdodges until your invicibility is over?

MarMarTheGreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dylannumar2
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
I beat Level 9 CPU's with Marth,Lucina,Ike

And I did that challenge way before I activly used fast falling,teching,perfect shields,spot doding

All you need to do is feel out your CPU...They are daunting at first but very predictable later on and they do the same crap

Bait and punish bassically

Top Bottom