• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you beat a Falco with the following habits?

FrankDaTank

Smash Cadet
1. Always double jumps then Up B's right when you respawn after dying. I feel like this should be relatively easy to punish but I'm finding it difficult.

2. Double jumps in neutral a lot, I'm having trouble catching him when he does that and then he just comes down with a down air. Since he's Falco, his down air more than out ranges my moves. If he misses that, he'll usually spot dodge then throw out an up tilt or a shine.

3. Platform camps a ton

4. Laser camps a ton

5. Spot dodges a ton

6. Throws out smash attacks in neutral and hits me with them when I'm unprepared and I die a lot of the time

7. Gets these seemingly easy combo strings on me despite my best efforts to DI out of them

8. Laser>grabs a lot, and just grabs a lot in general

9. Overall is extremely defensive

I seriously need help, this nonsense is really discouraging me. I keep losing to this Falco player who does all the things I listed and it's annoying me so much that I can't figure out how to counter it. He constantly does everything I've listed and I just can't figure out a reliable way around some of these things. I bait out a ton of his spot dodges, but it's never enough

Last edited:

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
1.) I've never felt like Falco has that much aerial drift after his upB, so you can probably react to where he upBs to and just punish him right before he lands. Might not be much, but it's better than nothing.

2.) Instant DJs are a bit harder to deal with, but if he wants to DJ in neutral, then you shouldn't try to contest it directly. If you dash out and do a pivot (or near it) aerial, your massive hitbox should do well vs it. Alternatively, just punish his landlag with a grab should work just fine, you've just gotta be ready for it to happen.

3.) If he wants to sit on platforms, just put out uairs on them. There's no need to overextend when you've got such disjointed hitboxes.

4.) I'm pretty sure that we discussed anti-laser camping stuff in your last thread.

5.) If you can read the spotdodge, try to space a grab on them. A well placed JC grab easily outspaces shine, so it's relatively low risk.

6.) If he's throwing out smash attacks in neutral, there's a good chance that he's calling you out for DDing too close to him and is trying to get you off his back.

7.) Umm, despite what people think, Falco can combo Marth pretty hard. Pillaring Marth is possible. You're probably gonna have to wait until 50ish and just tech out of the combo. Falco has some super simple stuff.

8.) Laser grab is actually insanely good, especially vs shield.

9.) If he's defensive, just space him out with dtilt and stuff. Stay safe vs him and avoid his range. Also, if he throws out a lot of AC bairs and utilts, figure out his pattern and grab him for it.

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
1. This falco is hella noob. Just look at where he's going, or intercept him in the air. For example, if he drifts hard right, just go to where he's gonna land, and with marth's range you can guarantee he gets grabbed, fsmashed, or whatever. I've never seen anyone do this actually.
2. Just wavedash back and dash away and then back when he comes down. You know he spotdodges, so wait for it, and punish him. You can also just counter it for lulz
3. Why is he on a platform? Just up air him. Up tilt, fsmash, up smash. Marth reaches through most plats easy, and short hop uair catches top plat on yoshi's
4. Shield, wavedash forward out of shield, powershield, counter, jump, platform camp, ledge camp. Many more options than you might think. Hell, getting hit is a valid option, if he's only lasering forever, then how does he plan on killing you?
5. Bait the spotdodge, then grab.
6. Dash dance back grab, counter, shield, you have way more options, just know that smash attacks are easy to react to a lot of the time, and you can just pick up on his timing and predict it.
7. As a falco player myself, I can confirm that falco comboes marth way harder than you would expect. If I want all I have to do is shine dair, tech chase grab and continue, or I can pillar, or anything else under the sun. Gotta wait until you are out of crouch cancel percent(around 40-60) to start DI'ing out.
8. If he's laser grabbing you, try countering the laser, powershield. Laser to grab is super good, which is why I have some difficulty thinking of counters, but you can spot dodge if he grabs normally.
9. You'll have to assert pressure by dash dancing right outside his range, simply being close for him to think he can hit you. A lot of your pressure comes from simply being in a certain position, and chances are this guy is just lasering in the corner, which really makes that much more effective.
Watch a lot of marth vs falco, see how someone like m2k or ppmd handles falco.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
1. This falco is hella noob. Just look at where he's going, or intercept him in the air. For example, if he drifts hard right, just go to where he's gonna land, and with marth's range you can guarantee he gets grabbed, fsmashed, or whatever. I've never seen anyone do this actually.
I accidentally do this against a local Marth sometimes and very often get shieldgrabbed or DD grabbed for it. It sucks.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
For laser-grab, the safest, beat laser -> anything option is wavedash oos (not towards Falco), but pay attention to how he jumps. If he's jumping in with the laser just throw out a hitbox. Assuming he's landing close, that is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom