• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I start a Smash club at my college? (TOing)

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Unfortunately, BHCC has some weird policy where student organizations must have some sort of "academic value", which makes getting a gaming concept like this harder to make convincing to the director. I'm sure it's doable though. Any suggested ways around this policy?
These guys definitely figured it out. See if there's anything in their argument you could use,

Good question though ... Does your school have a chess club, or any other sort of game club? I'd ask them what they said to get approved.

I can't think of anything concrete, but I can think of a few areas you might be able to explore. Understanding the meta of the competitive scene has parallels to both chess and poker tournaments - aside from improving your own skill with a character, you need to be able to read your opponent, the pros/cons of each stage for the characters in play, adapting on the fly. That's not even touching upon the social aspects of dealing with people in a potentially high-stress situation.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
All I really saw in that article was how much LoL would parallel to a sports team. So classifying their union as one would make sense for them to exist. A friend of mine is trying to draft a Quidditch club under the premise of it being a sport, with an elaborate essay to prove its legitimacy.

Next time I go to school, I'll have to check the updated club listings to see if there's a chess club or something. Most of what I see are cultural clubs and clubs that cater to specific practices such as writing or volunteersmanship.

Ideally, it would be a social club. It wouldn't stray off from the conduct of the UM Smash club given in the article. As far as academic material goes, I was thinking it could tie into game design and computer media technology. Maybe even professional sports, but that seems like a stretch for what I'm aiming for. Like, I wouldn't drag my club on the deep end and force academic material. But the focus to those two subjects would be on understanding the design behind competitive fighting games and developing a competitive mindset to aid what such players would seek from the game design.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I don't think theres enoigh smashers at my school..

ayo anyone from westfield wanna start a club?

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Actually, looking around the listings in my area, my problem is finding a group that plays at some time other than 4:30 on a week day (I don't get home form work until at least 5).

ZaFormic

Smash Rookie
I don't think theres enoigh smashers at my school..

ayo anyone from westfield wanna start a club?
Westfield State University? I thought I was alone here. I thought about trying to start something a while ago but I couldn't find a single other person who played.

yat2009

Smash Rookie
Hi! So apparently my college is worried about copyrights and such. For example, they told us that using the Smash name or logo may cause issues with Nintendo. In addition, they even went so far as to say that hosting Smash as a club would violate copyright. Is there any advice/help you can give me?

Top Bottom