• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I practice like mew2king

Skycry

Smash Rookie
Let's say that I was a casual player and now I want to aim for the top 8.
How and what am I suppose to do to train for that? I heard that mew2king spends thousands of hours with two controllers so he could always go with statistically the best option. but i think it's way to complicated for me to figure all those formulas myself

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
Training like m2k is not exactly optimal anymore. M2k figured out mostly correct framedata that wasn't available at the time, nowadays it is available. There is a melee mod called 20xx where with the right button commands you can go frame by frame. There is also a database of moves and their data now.
I see you are a marth main so if you are willing to invest thousands of hours I recommend looking up flowcharts to 0 to death on the characters you can 0 to death and if you can't find them to work them out yourself. I recommend learning why which positions are good and how to move around fluently. If you understand why which positions are good have good movement to get into the positions you want and a 0 to death punishgame all you need outside of that is simply experience against other players (ideally around your own level or significantly better so you can ask advice)

Assume you know nothing and take in all information people give you ask frequent questions, then test it out and be critical. Also play against a lot of people.

Skycry

Smash Rookie
Training like m2k is not exactly optimal anymore. M2k figured out mostly correct framedata that wasn't available at the time, nowadays it is available. There is a melee mod called 20xx where with the right button commands you can go frame by frame. There is also a database of moves and their data now.
I see you are a marth main so if you are willing to invest thousands of hours I recommend looking up flowcharts to 0 to death on the characters you can 0 to death and if you can't find them to work them out yourself. I recommend learning why which positions are good and how to move around fluently. If you understand why which positions are good have good movement to get into the positions you want and a 0 to death punishgame all you need outside of that is simply experience against other players (ideally around your own level or significantly better so you can ask advice)

Assume you know nothing and take in all information people give you ask frequent questions, then test it out and be critical. Also play against a lot of people.
could you link me to some sources?

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
It's always nice to see people with such high ambitions. It's also disappointing to see people fall flat after they realize what it actually takes to be the best.

If you're aiming for top 8, prepare to cope with a lot frustration and stress. It may sound easy getting to the top, but I guarantee you, it's not.

I'm in no position to give advice since I'm not someone who's highly regarded in the community, but if you're going to practice at all, get someone who's better than you, someone who is at the same skill level as you, and someone who is worse than you. This way, you'll know what it's like to be absolutely crushed, what it's like to go toe to toe, and what it's like to dominate. Constantly play against those three people. Constantly.

I've been told this many, many, times by the players in my area, and to be honest, I think it works best.

But that's just my opinion. Not everything will work the same for people, so do what you think is best for you.

Last edited:

Skycry

Smash Rookie
btw how do I use frame data? do professional really use frame data to calculate which moves can hit first or something?

Skycry

Smash Rookie
It's always nice to see people with such high ambitions. It's also disappointing to see people fall flat after they realize what it actually takes to be the best.

If you're aiming for top 8, prepare to cope with a lot frustration and stress. It may sound easy getting to the top, but I guarantee you, it's not.

I'm in no position to give advice since I'm not someone who's highly regarded in the community, but if you're going to practice at all, get someone who's better than you, someone who is at the same skill level as you, and someone who is worse than you. This way, you'll know what it's like to be absolutely crushed, what it's like to go toe to toe, and what it's like to dominate. Constantly play against those three people. Constantly.

I've been told this many, many, times by the players in my area, and to be honest, I think it works best.

But that's just my opinion. Not everything will work the same for people, so do what you think is best for you.

Last edited:

iMask

Smash Rookie
The professional players you see in the top 8 went through tremendous hours of practice to where they are now. To get good, you have to spend hours knowing the game. By this, I mean knowing your main character, knowing frame data, knowing your opponents characters, and the match ups.

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
btw how do I use frame data? do professional really use frame data to calculate which moves can hit first or something?
Its not like you can "use" it in the middle of a match. You shouldn't bother memorizing the exact number of frames that it takes to use marth's ____. Rather, use it to see "this attack's range covers approximately this much space" or, "Move X comes out faster than Move Y."

Calculating frames of anything is really only put into effect in very specific situations like when talking about shield pressure, and other people have already worked out the math for that, so along as you know that (example) double shine wavedash double shine is not safe, you don't need to memorize any numbers.

Carl the Oatswag

Smash Cadet
Let's say that I was a casual player and now I want to aim for the top 8.
How and what am I suppose to do to train for that? I heard that mew2king spends thousands of hours with two controllers so he could always go with statistically the best option. but i think it's way to complicated for me to figure all those formulas myself

mew2king discovered a lot of stuff that wasn't known but now you can look up what he discovered to find lots of essentials for melee

Top Bottom