• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I double jump after I Dolphin Slash in Melee?

Girthquake42

Smash Rookie
Hi all, new Marth main here. I picked up Marth about 2 months ago, and I'm loving him. I watched a few matches of Ken and M2K's Marths a little while ago and noticed that they were double jumping *after* their up-b while recovering, while I cant seem to pull this off. Any help?

Espi

Smash Journeyman
That's impossible unfortunately. What you might have seen was Ken/M2K edge cancelling the Dolphin Slash and getting their jump back.

djmath

Smash Apprentice
edge canceling is when you touch the corner of a ledge and land but never enter the standing animation; so essentially you land on the ground but you slide off the edge. This allows you to end the special fall animation caused by recovery or other special moves (like fox and falco's illusion) and enter a normal fall animation where you are free to act. This is not a perfect explanation of how it works, or even how to do it, but you can practice by doing aerials on the corners of platforms and edge cancels the aerials just to get a feel for how to edge canceling dolphin slash.

However, 9 times out of 10 you'll probably want to sweet spot the ledge with marth as landing on stage is very punishable and other options are usually sub optimal.

Top Bottom