• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I DI dthrow?

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
What is the best way to di dthrow? I play a lot of fast fallers so it is very easy for ness to follow up. I mainly play Wolf/Falco.

QUBiX

Smash Cadet
Ness can get a lot of damage on fast fallers at new/early stocks with the ability to u-throw chaingrabs and u-tilt extensions to regrabs. As far as DI'ing out of d-throw, you will want to DI up and away or down and away to get the tech roll to create space against Ness. Although DI'ing up and away is your best bet, Ness will be able to follow up with a dash attack to pop you up again, or he will be able to DJC f-air to regrab. If a Ness player is on point you pretty much have to endure the beating early on and hope your DI will make him slip up. Also, I'd highly recommend to SDI away as you are DI'ing up and away. This will be your best bet honestly.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Ness can get a lot of damage on fast fallers at new/early stocks with the ability to u-throw chaingrabs and u-tilt extensions to regrabs. As far as DI'ing out of d-throw, you will want to DI up and away or down and away to get the tech roll to create space against Ness. Although DI'ing up and away is your best bet, Ness will be able to follow up with a dash attack to pop you up again, or he will be able to DJC f-air to regrab. If a Ness player is on point you pretty much have to endure the beating early on and hope your DI will make him slip up. Also, I'd highly recommend to SDI away as you are DI'ing up and away. This will be your best bet honestly.
Is it better to change my character?

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
^Having a character that is a bit floaty to play against Ness can help you DI out of dthrow, but if you're playing a spacie you shouldn't have to worry about the dthrow anyway because you can do plenty of punishes to PK Fire attempts.

Last edited:

QUBiX

Smash Cadet
No you don't have to change your character. That's just part of the game. There's plenty of characters that can do the same thing. It's just part of the match up, but spacies definitely have more than enough options to punish Ness' game.

QUBiX

Smash Cadet
Here you go dude, this is a great video to watch how the match up should be played.

vods [[dot]] co/v/vccfzr?position=19&list=URh5YdJH05YwJxS4w3MS35R13Osm2K9OJUjXmq5TZcw

Just insert a period where it says "dot".

EDIT: also i forgot to mention you can keep buffering a dodge out if you are caught in PK fire.

Last edited:
Actually, DI down+away for Ness' Dthrow. At low percents, a correctly DI'd dthrow will let Fox tech before Ness can follow up.
Uthrow sends straight up, so that one you want to DI straight to one side. However, it has guaranteed follow ups regardless of DI on most fast fallers.

The short answer is to simply not get grabbed at all, but that can be a task. If you do, just DI the throws, SDI fair, and for the love of god don't miss any techs.

Last edited:

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
Up and away is best, not that spacies are even very suscpetible to the dthrow anyway. Following up the dthrow on spacies is pretty difficult. I use it more for techchasing.

Boiko

:drshrug:
Up and away is best, not that spacies are even very suscpetible to the dthrow anyway. Following up the dthrow on spacies is pretty difficult. I use it more for techchasing.
Nooo, down and away. Don't put yourself up above Ness or you'll face the uair chain.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
^pretty much this. CPUs always do that, and it always give you a good advantage

Top Bottom