• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you get into your main?

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
I took up playing Fox out of necessity because he could deal with most of the many, many annoying characters. Sakman's been taking measures to undo this though, been playing the good Mr. Watch more lately.

GeeHaus

Smash Cadet
The year is 2000, and a 7 year old GeeHaus has invited his best friends over to his house to play Super Smash Bros.

The sun was starting to dip low in the sky; we'd been playing for a few hours, but it certainly didn't feel that long. Young as we were, none of us could stick with one character for more than a few games.
"Wow, Fox is awesome! Check out those lasers!"
"Pikachu can use Thunder!"
"But Mario throws fireballs!"

Ahh, how beautiful the innocence was. But of all the characters in the original cast, (besides Ness and Luigi whom I had not yet unlocked,) one character remained, neglected and alone. That character was Jigglypuff.

What do you expect? We were young boys! We didn't care for any of this pink nonsense.
But as the other kids left in their parents' cars, one by one, soon only myself and my best-friend neighbor remained.

And that's when he told me. He told me a secret. A secret about Super Smash Bros that he'd guarded jealously ever since he discovered it some odd months ago. He told me... about Rest.

Oh, how I didn't believe him. How I laughed at the very thought; the hilarity! Rest is useless! All it does is put you to sleep!

He didn't back down; didn't withdraw his claim. In fact, he started to seem upset that I didn't believe him.
"Fine! I'll prove it to you! Let's have a battle!"

We square off. I select Mario, and he, Jigglypuff. We would battle on Saffron City.

Of course, we were terrible. My Mario play consisted mostly of senseless fireball spam. Nevertheless, my friend manages to sink in a few hits, so I leap to one of the floating platforms in an attempt to gain some purchase on the stage. Jigglypuff gives chase through the air, I shoot a fireball, and the last thing I remember is a sharp "KREE!" as Mario explodes off the screen.

It only took one thorough beating, but Jigglypuff has been my main ever since.

Drippy

Smash Ace
At first I mained Diddy and not because he was broken (well I still wanted to play a top tier because I wanted to play competitively) but because he was the first character to click with me and I had TONS of fun playing with him. I mained him for my first few weeks of playing Sm4sh because I knew I didn't like characters like Luigi / Mario. Eventually I was messing around with friends and just trying out different characters and I finally decided to pick the "campy characters". I usually strayed away from Villager / Duck Hunt because I was convinced they were all boring and just timed out the opponent all the time. That's when I played Mega Man, and it piqued my interest but I didn't main him yet. It was like a few days later that a Mega Man player named Kismet had a very aggressive play-style of playing Mega Man and completely threw away that defensive play-style and it inspired me to pick up Mega Man and try that aggressive play-style.

I first want to say that I do not play Mega Man like Kismet anymore because I don't like it. I mean I still have that aggression when I play Mega Man but I've learn how to adapt a passive aggressive play-style and have learnt how to actually zone the enemy and use my tools such as the Leaf Shield or Crash Bomber which Kismet didn't use very much of. In general I realized I like projectile-based characters like Pac-Man, Villager, and Duck Hunt Dog a whole lot. I love strategic game-play and the set ups they can do and in general all the thinking and planning you have to put into playing those characters, especially Duck Hunt Dog which is my favorite of the three. Of course I mained Mega Man because as much as I love Duck Hunt, you can't go wrong with the Blue Bomber and I overall just love Mega Man's arsenal of tools and find it much easier to play him more aggressive compared to the other characters as well as defensive when the time comes. I just love everything about Mega Man, all of his special moves, aerials, his pellets, his u-tilt, the swooce (d-tilt), and his amazing grab. Not really a hug fan of his smash attacks though but that's beside the point, I just felt Mega Man really clicked with me out of all the characters and I fell in love.

TheMadHatterer

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMadHatter1298
3DS FC
3926-5161-8105
Probably when I found out how satisfying Ganondorf can be to play. From the Thunder Stomp spikes, to the below-100% kills, to the side-b suicide to win.

D

Deleted member

:4fox: Fox, I started maining him because I like how fast he moves both on the ground and in the air.

Also I like foxes.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Way, way back when I 1st started playing Smash, I mained Kirby and only played with Kirby. This was back on the 64 and Kirby is very, very good in that game! I was only a kid and so I thought that I just rocked with him, and I had beaten some Kirby games on Gameboy and SNES b4 ever playing the 1st Smash game and thought this was becuz I was great at them (when in reality most Kirby games are targeted towards beginner gamers and are easy-peezy~) so this is also why I mained Kirby.

It wasnt untill I finally beat Ocarina of Time on my own on the 64 that I fell in love with the Zelda series and started maining LINK! (I had beaten "A Link to the Past" only one time b4 on the SNES with the help of my big bro :))

I had Majora's Mask b4 I got Melee and beat it and continued to get every new Zelda game and beat them since~

Now Link is not that great of a character in 64, so at first it was very, very hard for me to win but I practiced alot with my big bro and friends and the CP untill I started learn I should use his boomerangs and bombs a whole lot more in conjunction with his other attacks to set things up~

Link was atleast average in Melee which was a great boost, and I loved using Little Link with his speed!

I was disappointed with how they treated Link in brawl, while most characters got buffs to their recovery or great characters like Marth & Falco stayed largely the same, Link got some major UNFAIR nerfs! :c
But I kept playing with him anyways and made him work! Toon Link on the other hand was great to use, not having a trash recovery helped alot, and his mobility and "combo" potential made him feel more like the Link from Melee than the actual Link and I loved WindWaker anyways so~

Now Link & Toon Link in Smash 4 kinda feel like they're in the same place Link & Toon Link were in Melee and that's cool. :awesome:
Link in PM is just amazing but I dont get to play it much...

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
2003. Melee. First time playing the game. Most characters have already been unlocked thanks to elder siblings. A blue-haired figure. A red-haired figure. Capes. Swords. I liked capes and swords back then. I thought capes and swords were badass. The two swordsmen' faces and hair colors seemed classy as well.

That is how I fell in deep love with Marth and Roy, for the first AND the last time I had a chance to play Melee in my young days. But soon I had to part ways with it because t'was my fate. What a disappointment it was when it came to checking the Brawl Dojo every single day for new info, and Roy never showed up again.

Marth remained.

@ GeeHaus GeeHaus 's post is gold.

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
2003. Melee. First time playing the game. Most characters have already been unlocked thanks to elder siblings. A blue-haired figure. A red-haired figure. Capes. Swords. I liked capes and swords back then. I thought capes and swords were badass. The two swordsmen' faces and hair colors seemed classy as well.

That is how I fell in deep love with Marth and Roy, for the first AND the last time I had a chance to play Melee in my young days. But soon I had to part ways with it because t'was my fate. What a disappointment it was when it came to checking the Brawl Dojo every single day for new info, and Roy never showed up again.

Marth remained.
I felt that same way with Mewtwo! :sadeyes:

My little bro is anxiously awaiting for Roy to return to Smash 4 :nervous:
Maybe with news of those recent sound file leaks, both of your dreams may finally come true~ :love:

Last edited:

Ascended

Smash Ace
Usually if I like a character from their home series, then I play as them in Smash, so I have a lot of characters that I rotate through, but for the six characters that I stick with the most:

Mario: I love the series and I think his Smash 64 and Melee incarnation was really fun to play as. Sometimes I alternate between Mario and Dr. Mario in Smash 4 because I also really enjoy the Dr. Mario games and I like having the Dr. Tornado instead of FLUDD.

Mewtwo: My all-time favorite Pokemon, and I like his moveset, even though he is easy to KO.

Link: The Legend of Zelda is my second favorite gaming series, and I really like Link's moveset. Plus his animations and changed moves in Smash 4 look sweet.

Mega Man: Love the Mega Man X series, and also some of the classic Mega Man games. His moves are really different and I like being able to zone with all the different projectiles.

Marth/Lucina: I've always thought Marth was a boss since Melee, but his Brawl design was a bit disappointing to me. Here he looks really awesome and I love his fast/graceful fighting style. Lucina being a clone is easy for me to transistion to, but I really liked her in Awakening so I like playing as her here (In the Cordelia costume, since Cordelia was my favorite female character from that game.)

Fox: Star Fox is one of my favorite gaming franchises, and I've always liked his design and moveset. I still think it's awesome that all his B moves are inspired by things the Arwing did in Star Fox 64.

Last edited:

Cipherbrand

Smash Rookie
:4lucario:: I hadn't personally owned a Smash game prior to 4 (got Brawl afterwards) and at the time, my SSF2 main was Pikachu, who... I could not Thunderspike with. In mourning, I cycled through each of the roster's Pokemon. First Jigs, then Greninja, ignoring Charizard, who my sister had picked up, before stumbling upon Lucario and his potent Aura+ Rage combo, and grasped victory at a neighborhood local with the other novices (most of us sucked, I was still below average, and am today barely decent) and fell in love with the character.

GanonPawnch

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MLT117
Ganon is my main atm, trying to main Mewtwo though, we'll see how that goes.

As for Ganondorf, he's one of my favourite villains, maybe my favourite, and I just loved how freakin' hard he hit in Brawl lol I found it hilarious. I wouldn't say I know him like the back of my hand, but I'm getting there. I'm not used to actually fighting real people in Smash, or fighting games in general really, especially online...*cough* delay lol. But yeah, I'm pretty decent. Oh and don't forget that voice in Melee...aaaaaAAAAARRRRGGHHHHHH! *punch* :ganondorfmelee: wish they'd bring that voice back :D

Seeing as I'm not sure whether Mewtwo or Ganondorf will end up being my main, I'll say a bit on Mewtwo as well. As with Ganondorf, Mewtwo is one of my favourite villains, yes, he's not exactly a villain most of the time, but he definitely played the role of one in the first movie and he was so badass. He's my favourite Pokémon, even though I don't play Pokémon anymore, the fact that he's not just a Pokémon but a character (in the Anime), makes it even better. That Japanese evil laugh though... he's way more villainous in the Japanese one, so cold ;p

Meh, I'll always love Pokémon, even if I don't currently play it.

:4mewtwo::4ganondorf:

aquaticpineapples

Smash Apprentice
:4mario:: People said he was good for noobs, so I chose him.
:4shulk:: MONANDOS
:4pikachu:: I thought it was impossible to grab the ledge with Pika spamming thunder jolt, I tried it out, didnt work but still stuck with him

Peko

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mashley
n64 i used mainly :yoshi64: until my dad told me about a rumour of ness being playable if you "finish classic on hard using yoshi without losing a life" i miraculously did it on my first try, despite being like, four years old. so i unlocked ness on my first try, then never looked back. i used him in 64:ness64:, i used him in melee:nessmelee:, i used him in brawl:ness2:, but smash 4 i dont know why but i finally grew out of ness, i went back to yoshi for a while, now im looking for my new main. thinking tink because windwaker is my absolute favourite game of all time.:4tlink:

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
Before Internet and PC became common in everyone household, I would go to my friend's house and use his internet to look up some of the upcoming game titles. This was around 1998, and I've found this GamePro advertisement of the first smash brothers game and I immediately had a nerdgasm. I was in 5th grade at the time of this advertisement and I remember clear as day, me running home telling my mother and father about this game. My father is a big gamer so he was excited about this news as well, then a month later Game Informer had released first screenshots of the character select screen of the game, it revealed everyone but the hidden characters. Instantly :link64: was going to become my main because the NES Zelda was my first gaming experience at the age of 5 and Link was my favorite video game character.

I was obsessed with finding out more about this game, but there was no luck. Nintendo really keeps info a secret until they are ready to reveal more info on a particular game. Then in April of 1999, the game was released but I didn't know when my parents were going to buy the game for me. While I was in school, the phone ringed and my teacher called my name "You have an early dismissal" I had this puzzled look on my face but then grabbed my things and found my father in the office waiting for me. We jumped in the car and he took me to South Street at a game store called "Game Gallery" right there my father said took the game off the rack and handed it to me. It felt like a dream and the moment I got home I picked up :link64: but felt kind of disappointed that his up B had no good stage recovery at all.

I stuck it out with him trying to find out who the other hidden characters were until my cousin told me "there is a character from this RPG that you completed a few years ago, I can't remember his name but he has a baseball bat and a stripe shirt" I instantly thought of :ness64: and flipped. I worked hard to unlock him and I finally did and he replaced :link64: for a bit and by the end of my time with the N64 of the game I picked up :mario64: as well. The rest was just history, :mariomelee: had become my primary in Melee, :linkmelee: Second, and :nessmelee: Third main.

:mariomelee: had felt like a balanced character to me, he wasn't too fast nor too slow. He was just right for me and I love his combos, I never get bored playing as him. Then once brawl was released I added :sonic: to the lineup because I am still a Sega kid at heart and sonic is one of my all time favorite video game character. Once Project M dropped, my excitement for smash was revived and they have made :link2:better than ever, I felt that he had finally took the throne as my primary Main as he was intended to be. Once Smash 4 dropped I tried :4link: again and he felt so much better than the previous 3 incarnations.

Yes, LINK is my main followed by :4mario::4ness: and :4sonic:.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Well when I first got Melee, I placed my pointer on :kirbymelee:, and for the longest time, he was the only character I chose. Then I realized you could unlike characters like Metal Mewtwo, Sonic and Tails, or Toad. Never unlocked them, but I did unlike our boy :roymelee:. He was a better, cooler Marth, who had the power of t3h ph1r3 to take down his foes.

Then Brawl came out, and our boy was gone. I was sad, devastated, but it was okay, the aura was with me and I had :lucario:. Then I got bodied by a :lucas:. So I mained Lucas. For a long time though, there was one character I really wanted to play, but I had no idea how without having to resort to Smash Balls. I searched everywhere for an alternative, till one faithful day I found it. From then on :zerosuitsamus: has been by my side kicking ass and taking name. Project M grew in popularity, and Lucas had major changes, so I moved ZSS down to secondary. But after realizing how much more fun ZSS was and how much better I did, I dropped the PK loving boy entirely and focused on our favorite Intergalactic Bounty Hunter.

Smash 4 came out, and :4zss:is better than ever. But this was a new game, with new characters. I didn't want to drop ZSS, oh I'd never, but I needed to at least try someone else. The Waifu army was established as a test. Many characters tried, but few lasted. It was the between the Tactician :4robinf: and our Lady :4palutena:. It was close, a tight battle between the two, but Palu came out on top, she just fit my style more. Then I finally decided to try customs. And ever since that day, I've been CO-MAINING (I don't consider either one of them secondaries) :4zss: and :4palutena:.

Long story short; I tried them and they fit my playstyle.

MechPasta

Smash Rookie
For :4zss: When me and my brother played Brawl, a few years ago we were total noobs: we didn't shield, roll ect... so when i found out that :zss: can be chosen from the charcter select screen i tried her, and annoyed the crap out of my brother by stunning him and dash attacking, and that was really fun. So when Smash 4 came out, she was the first vetaren i tried and i loved her play style and i just kept getting better with her.
As for :4mario: I was trying to complete the 20 turns in Crazy Orders with Mario, and i didn't use any equipment so it took a while, eventually i started to enjoy using him and played with him more

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
:4ludwig: became my main because I was in the Combo Labs within the 1st 5 or so days that the 3DS version was out, and while I was experimenting with his Side B, I asked myself, "Hey, can I make like a Scarlet Weather Rhapsody character by Jump Cancelling out of it?" The answer: YES! :happysheep: This filled me with such squees that you'd swear I was like Etika during the Lucina Reveal trailer Reactions Vid when Captain Falcon was confirmed....
Since then, I have considered Junior to be THEE person that not only got me into Smash again in almost a decade, but is also THEE character of choice to mention towards hardcore 2D fighter lovers (ex. Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, Marvel VS Capcom 3, etc.) that hate on Smash for not having "legit combos" (ex. Jumping HP --> Crouching MK --> Hadouken) which I once vocally bashed Smash for not having for YEARS, until :4iggy:'s Side B Jump Cancels came along in 2014.

:4duckhunt: became my main because one of the folks I was challenging at my community college within the 1st 10 days or so of the 3DS release was complaining about how other doggies just camp out at the ledges and run away from the opponent for the entire match while spamming his various projectiles.... while I was playing a relatively ranged game against said person's :4ganondorf: for the 1st 2 stocks out of 3. As soon as he took out my 2nd stock, I dared to challenge his claim of me being among them by straight up spending the entire 3rd & last stock of the match trying to play DH as an aggressive rushdown character. This was way before I refined it to how it is now, so naturally I got bopped pretty quickly. Since then, aggressive rushdown with virtually every character, even folks that apparently are not meant to be played that way (ex. :4megaman:, :4rob:, :4samus:, etc.), became my MO. This definitely applies to both :4larry: & :4duckhunt:, whom folks apparently label as "zoners" that shouldn't be rushing folks down so heavily like they're :4falcon: or :4sheik:.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
:4littlemac:
Little Mac is my absolute number 1 main. I always thought he was overdue for Smash, and when that trailer came out, I knew I had to main him. It saddened me to see that so many people thought he was a terrible character when the game released. That only increased my resolve to main him and become the champ. Also, his playstyle is fast, evasive, and aggressive. Something that is right up my alley.

:4mewtwo:
I have plans to absolutely main him when he comes out for everyone else next week. He was one of my Melee mains, and is my third-favorite Pokemon of all time. He'll become my secondary main, as I will always be loyal to Mac.

:4ganondorf:
An unexpected main for me, as I never used him much in Melee, and even less so in Brawl. But now that he's received some much-needed buffs, I tried him out and REKT the competition on For Glory. Can't stop the Dorf Patrol. It was through him that I got good with meteor smashes in general.

:4robinm:
I like playing Robin as his playstyle revolves around being a tactician. All about anticipating your opponents moves and exploiting their weaknesses. Now that's strategy.

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
:4tlink:Toon Link seemingly as he's one of the characters from my most long time favorite video game series.

I would always prefer the clone character than Link himself seemingly as back in my days, I would always think the clone is just better than the original which has been flawed by a lot of others but opinions aside.. Toon's just been my go-to and favorite video game character of all time.

Geno9999

Smash Cadet
NNID
Geno9999
:4mario:: He's always has been my mainstay main from 64, and always will be. Easy to learn, and while average in many respects, that only means he can adapt to the situation better that some other characters.
:4bowser:: I didn't pay much attention to Bowser before. Sure I played as him, but only in the single-player modes, and in general didn't really gel with him. Then around when the first tournaments for Smash 4 3DS was playing, there was a lot of Bowsers. The meta seemed to be flipped, the slow and steady was winning the race for once, so I decided to give Bowser a chance once I could get the Wii U version. While sure, by then the initial thoughts about the meta was mostly wrong, that didn't deter me from trying out basically every character I could. Playing on For Glory though, something clicked between me and him, but I can't tell what, but I'm starting to get some pretty good win streaks with him.

BSXDrayden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BladeSatoshiX
So originally my plan was to play Robin but unfortunately, I really couldn't get into them that much due to their low speed. My girlfriend at the time planned on maining Lucina so after a Robin/Lucina game, I decided that we'd do Lucina dittos because she was trash talking me and I wanted to see if I could beat her as the character she wanted to main. But just to annoy her further, I decided that I'd use the Tiki colour because she really dislikes Tiki. That game made me realise that despite the fact that I dislike Marth, I love playing Lucina. It also made her realise that Lucina just isn't a character that's for her.

I also main Jigglypuff and she became my Melee main due to Hungrybox being one of my favourite players and also because she just looked so fun to me. Once I dropped Melee for Sm4sh, the transition was almost natural.

DukeofShorts

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Braedenthegreat
Captain Falcon - he was the first character I tried when the game finally came out and he eventually became my favourite character in the game and at the same time he became my brother's least favourite because I beat him so much as Falcon.

Jigglypuff - I really like doing aerial attacks and jigglypuff has plenty of good aerial attacks.

Ness - I saw NAKAT play as ness and it seemed pretty easy and fun, and it is.

Chocobo Link

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4253-3960-6377
:jigglypuff64:: I remember how I'd always use her as a punching bag in Melee, so I decided to main her in 64 to prove my 8-year-old self that she wasn't all bad. She's also a counterpick in Melee and Smash 4

:falcon64:: I pick him in his pink and white palette swap as a counterpick in every game in the series. I just love his speed

:younglinkmelee:: Zelda was my favorite series as a kid, so of course I picked him all the time back then

:icsmelee:: I heard how good they were, so I decided to pick them up when going back into Melee again after six or so years of not playing. The fact they act as two characters in one is just amazing. Nana saved me a couple times during a fight as well

:lucas:: I'm not really sure, I just picked him one day and I've been using him ever since. I guess it was his projectiles and the fact his PK Thunder handles better than Ness' in my opinion. I don't listen to tiers often, so his placement didn't bother me. I've decided to call him "The Legend" since I've always kicked ass with him against terrible matchups

:toonlink:: Hailing from my favorite Zelda, I picked him just as often as :lucas:. I loved his projectiles and how mad my friends got

:sheik:: Didn't really like her in Brawl, though she's my current PM main and Melee and Smash 4 counterpick. I like her combo capability and her :GCL::GCB: post-Smash 4

:4tlink:: I feel he's a lot faster in Smash 4 and as well as being from my favorite Zelda, of course I'd main him in the new game

:4robinf:: The tomes and Levin sword are just great. Also love the fact that arc fire can block most minor projectiles (which is great against my friends who mostly pick projectile-heavy characters)

:4villager:: I just find him fun to use. Also from one of my favorite series ever

:4lucas:: The Legend returns

Muddyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
theflyingmud
3DS FC
4656-7708-6477
:4megaman:- I'm a big MM fan and even though you can't be X, classic MM is still a monster and i love to play him semi-aggresively. One of the funnest characters ever once i learned how to use him properly and short hop nair correctly.
:4kirby:- I also have always like the kirby series and seeing the mix ups kirby can do in this game strengthened my resolve to main him.
:4lucas:- cannot wait to wreck with mah boy Lucas since i'm also a fan of the mother series.
:4rob:- how can you not like him?

I love maining characters from my favorite series and though i love Xenoblade as well shulk is a bit too complex and i think i'd need more work to get him into my list of mains.

Spaghetti Sammy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FreshBagels
3DS FC
0104-0256-0397
:dkmelee::4dk:Well I mained Wario and I would play green DK (Shrek) purely as a joke/for fun thing, and then I got good at him, and then I started being good with him. So yeah.
Melee wise I hope to be up there with the likes of Green Ranger some day. Because I'd rather be a mediocre DK then a mediocre Rosalina/Fox
And I really loved DKC Returns
:4villager:Oh yeah this guy... I've just always liked him since I got Smash 4, my friend whined about him "just being loid rocket and side air" but then again he often gets mad a a whole magnitude of things.
Also I was addicted to New Leaf like crack before I got DKC Returns and Alpha Saphire
:ivysaur:As for Ivysaur, I was playing Project M at a pal's house and I said "No one plays this guy" and picked Ivysaur, and then I found he was pretty good and I liked him.

Last edited:

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
:4shulk:: I find him the most interesting and complex character of the cast. That and he's also very versatile able to suit both of my usual playstyles: Zoning/Keep Away and Rushdown (no combos though).

:4robinf:: My favorite projectile character and female of the cast. Again I also find her complex due to her Durability system and is usually my go-to in FFA/Teams.

:4mario:: I've used him since 64 days and he still became one of my top picks in every single game.

I use the rest of the cast quite frequently as well but they aren't consistent mains like the three above. As for :4mewtwo::4lucas: I'll need time to learn them to determine how I feel about their Sm4sh iteration.

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Ok, so initially I was really excited to play :4villager:. He was gonna be my main and dat was dat...

Except when I got the 3DS demo, and I realized that he wasn't for me at all. ~Dang!~

Around the same time, the leak was confirmed to be real and, to be honest, I was reeeal dismissive of :4duckhunt: I thought, "Alright, but no Ice Climbers? Doctor Mario's back?! What the hey?"

As Smash 4 was about to be released, I decided just to play :yoshimelee:/:nessmelee:, my mains from Melee. Still had no plans to main dog.

I ended up dropping Yoshi pretty quickly. The way he played felt different from Melee/Brawl. Even though everyone said he had been improved, I wasn't feelin' it. So Ness became my main man...

Because my flatmates and I all play smash together on a consistent basis, it was only a matter of time before I hovered the icon over Duck Hunt Duo. I started playing him for fun in free for alls. Then singles. Then I entered a tournament with him. Came 4th outta 21 people. I felt fantastic! It felt like DHD had noticeable depth, pulling off can traps was one of the most satisfying things I have ever done in Smash. As I played more Duck Hunt, I played less and less Ness ~heh!~

To the point at which I just play dog now.

~And a wee Dedede on the side~

Last edited:

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
Fox on N64 because it was my favorite game on the n64 at the time, Mewtwo because I grew up watching pokemon, and the 1st Mewtwo movie really got me interested in him. Lucario because of the same reason, I love pokemon and saw Lucario's movie, and thought it was cool he was able to talk in a way.

Mr Game & Watch because he seemed like a underrated character, and watching GimR is always fun, so I wanted to main him and see what he can do, I really don't think he's "low tier"

Top Bottom