• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you choose your main?

Dinotard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Onehardtard
3DS FC
2766-8060-2134
I've been playing smash for a while but never too serious about it until now.
My biggest issue at the current moment is choosing a main.
I like quite a few characters and I would like to be good with all of them But I'm not sure how to settle for just one main..
I really Like:
Robin
Captain Falcon
Charizard
Ike

I know these characters all have different playstyles too. So i'm just Really indecisive about it.
What made you guys choose yours?

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
There's nothing wrong with liking several characters, or maining several. If you're insistent on maining just one, then it all comes down to preference.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
I've been playing smash for a while but never too serious about it until now.
My biggest issue at the current moment is choosing a main.
I like quite a few characters and I would like to be good with all of them But I'm not sure how to settle for just one main..
I really Like:
Robin
Captain Falcon
Charizard
Ike

I know these characters all have different playstyles too. So i'm just Really indecisive about it.
What made you guys choose yours?
To be quite honest with you, I don't think I have a main main. I use so many different characters Like Rosalina, Duck hunt, Ike, Robin, From time to time Marth, Bowser JR, Link.

But If I had to choose I'd say Link, Ike, And Robin. Link and Ike were my mains before. And Robin was the first character I played with on Smash 4 on the 3DS. And It carried on with the Wii U but I use Ike more often now. I usually like using Ike against people who keep repeating the same moves. Because if they do I keep using his counter. Which usually makes them pissed and they try to use different moves.

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
Pick who you connect with. Meditate about your list and pick the character you would like to be in real life. Pick who reaches out to your soul. then you will do well.

Dinotard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Onehardtard
3DS FC
2766-8060-2134
Pick who you connect with. Meditate about your list and pick the character you would like to be in real life. Pick who reaches out to your soul. then you will do well.
How well has that worked out for you?

To be quite honest with you, I don't think I have a main main. I use so many different characters Like Rosalina, Duck hunt, Ike, Robin, From time to time Marth, Bowser JR, Link.

But If I had to choose I'd say Link, Ike, And Robin. Link and Ike were my mains before. And Robin was the first character I played with on Smash 4 on the 3DS. And It carried on with the Wii U but I use Ike more often now. I usually like using Ike against people who keep repeating the same moves. Because if they do I keep using his counter. Which usually makes them pissed and they try to use different moves.
I was the same way with Robin, I picked him first on 3ds but once i got to wii u i started leaning towards captain falcon more, he felt more fun. Then I picked up Charizard which I do enjoy playing with, hes fun. But Now I'm starting to play Ike for a bit because I love how devastating his attacks can be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
How well has that worked out for you?
Very well. Greninja connected with my soul the very moment I saw him leaked for pokemon x and y. then I knew it was my destiny when he was revealed for sm4sh.

I think me liking the character so much has given my skills with him a slight increase simply from the fact that I really like him out of smash and want him to succeed.

Its like a secret hidden mechanic or something. "The like factor"

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
For me, it generally comes down to choosing characters I just decide I like. Some I like because I know them (e.g. Kirby, Pikachu), others I didn't initially know much about but thought they were cool (e.g. Ness, Ike). Ultimately, I choose characters I like based on their aesthetics/history, and then I get to know how to play as them. I probably do something similar to what @ Dendros Dendros said, actually. It sounds like you personally might choose a character based on their playstyle though, which is also totally fine.

You don't have to choose only one character to play as ever, if that's what you're wondering; you can easily play as one of those guys more than the others but still use the other three as secondaries/other mains. If you're serious about picking just one, though, I'd suggest that you just keep playing with all four of your choices; one may start to stand out. You'll probably more likely find a main the more time you give yourself.

Dinotard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Onehardtard
3DS FC
2766-8060-2134
For me, it generally comes down to choosing characters I just decide I like. Some I like because I know them (e.g. Kirby, Pikachu), others I didn't initially know much about but thought they were cool (e.g. Ness, Ike). Ultimately, I choose characters I like based on their aesthetics/history, and then I get to know how to play as them. I probably do something similar to what @ Dendros Dendros said, actually. It sounds like you personally might choose a character based on their playstyle though, which is also totally fine.

You don't have to choose only one character to play as ever, if that's what you're wondering; you can easily play as one of those guys more than the others but still use the other three as secondaries/other mains. If you're serious about picking just one, though, I'd suggest that you just keep playing with all four of your choices; one may start to stand out. You'll probably more likely find a main the more time you give yourself.
Well I like all of those characters, I'm a big FE and Pokemon fan so that's what made them stand out initially. They all play different and I want to find what I like best. I really want to get into smash competitively and I definitely want one main to pick if i were to go to tourneys.

I just guess its a matter of giving the time.
I started picking one character to play as for a week until I found one that I really liked.
I figured it might have be a good way to pick a favorite.

Very well. Greninja connected with my soul the very moment I saw him leaked for pokemon x and y. then I knew it was my destiny when he was revealed for sm4sh.

I think me liking the character so much has given my skills with him a slight increase simply from the fact that I really like him out of smash and want him to succeed.

Its like a secret hidden mechanic or something. "The like factor"
I played a lot of melee when I was a kid. My brother would always pick Marth and I would choose Roy,
granted I get he's a Marth Clone, but I definitely would have chosen him if he were in Smash 4.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
In my opinion, choosing a main because you like their series is the best factor since it'll likely keep you dedicated towards improvement and the drive to find the max potential of said character. I know a lot of people choose characters out of factors such as:

-They are human with spiky hair or other assets (Anime-character lol)
-The Waifu
-The Easy to use / "Overpowered"
-The "Low-tier" hero
-The moveset/playstyle
-Fun
-The strive to be different
-Appreciation of a seldom used character (Like Low-tier hero)
-Love for their game/franchise

I currently main Palutena, with Charizard being a pocket character. I chose Palutena as my main for the waifu and because I loved Kid Icarus: Uprising. I chose Charizard because I prefer heavy-class or stiffer characters. Both their move-set feel great to me.

I know the term "main" is often looked at as an exclusive term, which in my opinion, it is, but don't let it get to you. You can main however many characters you want, no one is holding you back.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I liked how I played in Brawl better than now, considering I picked Sonic and Kirby because I loved the characters, and not for how they play. For Smash 4 I took that away and played for playstyle, who I liked to play as more, instead of who I like more in general.

Sheik: I know nothing except for that she is Ze***, but I like her playstyle.
Pac-man: I actually hate Pac-man's design, but I like his move set.
Luigi: Okay I picked him because I like luigi, but I also liked his moveset. Win win.
Lucina: Played Fire Emblem for about a couple hours, so I don't know much about her. I like her moveset + look.
Kirby: What can I say? Kirby is awesome, but I don't play him as often because I'm not too familiar with his moveset.

To summarize, only one of my five mains were picked because I liked the character. But hey, I'm fine with that.

BubbaDuke

Smash Apprentice
If I don't like a character I won't play as him. I don't care how strong Rosalina, ZSS, and Sheik are. They don't interest me.

I'll still play Characters that I like even if they aren't strong, like Mewtwo in Melee.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I love Pokemon and being able to play as Pikachu in Smash 64 was just the best. Stuck with me since!

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
I played a lot of melee when I was a kid. My brother would always pick Marth and I would choose Roy,
granted I get he's a Marth Clone, but I definitely would have chosen him if he were in Smash 4.
I am just so sorry. I know how you feel (see my brawl and project M main).

If I don't like a character I won't play as him. I don't care how strong Rosalina, ZSS, and Sheik are. They don't interest me.

I'll still play Characters that I like even if they aren't strong, like Mewtwo in Melee.
This! I hate it when people main OP characters because they are OP. that's not what this game is about.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I have to like a character to play them, regardless of power. Started with Captain Falcon, and then stuck with Marth for the next few games. Still testing the waters on Smash4, but Marth, Robin, PacMan, Shulk, and Megaman are my top picks.

Dinotard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Onehardtard
3DS FC
2766-8060-2134
I am just so sorry. I know how you feel (see my brawl and project M main).
Yeah I know the struggle, All we can do is hope for DLC but not sure how likely that would be.

This! I hate it when people main OP characters because they are OP. that's not what this game is about.
I agree, it kills the fun part of it.

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679
For me, all my mains are waifus hehe.

Yes, even dark pit.

Meta413

Smash Rookie
I play as my mains because I love their games. That's the only reason.

Reiga

He sold diddy for a switch
3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
Play around with all of the characters that you are deciding between, if you find one that you have fun using in battles and/or may be better playing than the others you may use him as your main main, you then can try to use the others as secondarie mains.

Last edited:

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
It was really simple as to how I found my main.

I like canons, and forks, and hammers, and clowns, and carts, and wind up toys that explode.:4lemmy:

Fathom778

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPSICANEX2
You don't need a main.
But if need 1, I say play a 20 stock match with each character and see who you like best.
*Cough* I suggest Ike *Cough*

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I pretty much found my potential main after seeing her puppeteer system. I've really warmed up to Rosalina ever since I've gotten hold of Smash 3DS.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
I have to like a character's series for me to pick them up. I mained Luigi in Smash 64 since, at the time, I thought Luigi was the coolest Nintendo character.

From Melee onwards, I've picked up Zelda/Sheik and never looked back. Zelda's continual placement at the bottom made me more motivated to play her over Sheik.

I'm still sticking with Zelda as my primary in Sm4sh, despite how she's easily the absolute worst character in the game.

My friends, two sisters, and fiancée have simply come to respect that over time.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I did not choose Ganondorf, he chose me. He took the light and ignorance inside of me and gave me darkness and enlightenment. My dark and terrible lord will use me as he wishes. Together, we will take over the world:4ganondorf:

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
I chose Toon Link bc he was the first character to wreck me when I first got smash 4. I then chose Luigi for 2 reasons. 1. I always like him and my favorite color is agree. 2. Someone wrecked me with him xD

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I just watched some professionals play different characters in tournament matches and thought "Ohey, R.O.B. looks interesting."
I recommend watching professionals play, and see which characters look the best for your playstyle.

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
Duck Hunt because I like his playstyle and moveset. Unique and campy.

Dinotard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Onehardtard
3DS FC
2766-8060-2134
You don't need a main.
But if need 1, I say play a 20 stock match with each character and see who you like best.
*Cough* I suggest Ike *Cough*
I don't think I'd have the patience for a 20 stock match with each character but I'm liking ike after using him for a bit. I'm going to check out some vids of him

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
I actually would've gone with Mario or Sonic like I usually do in the past games if I hadn't played an MMO called Elsword. Two particular classes from that game, Infinity Sword and Blade Master, actually changed the way I play and now I'm starting to favor sword users who can get up close but still have options to keep their space.

Hence why I got Shulk, Robin, and Marth in my lineup (despite never playing any of their games). The two newcomers had me hooked in their trailer while Marth is someone I only got the hang of once I got better with Shulk. As for Pit I absolutely loved Kid Icarus: Uprising and chose him over Pittoo because he looks cooler to me.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
I subscribe to the doctrines of character loyalty, so I use Mario in every game (as a main in 64 and Melee, and as a secondary in Brawl and Wii U). I main R.O.B. in Brawl and Wii U because I like his design, and his throws (especially the tombstone) and smashes (especially S3) are my favorite overall attacks in the game. Being loyal to a character means characters across games click with me regardless of physics changes or even major moveset changes.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well, first few games it was Weegee, 'cause Weegee. Then it was MK, because flying and lightning-fast sword slashes and stuff. Years later, I was playing Brawl with a friend, and he was taunting me about how he beat me while I was using the best character. Turns out he was looking up how pros play and whatnot, and told me to do the same. Should be a no brainer what happens next.

In a week, I'm playing as MK the best I've ever been and giving up the character as I figured out how far ahead he was. I mean, I usually end up using the best stuff in most games anyway. But MK was too good once I figured out his powerful moves. I basically quit SSB for quite awhile because he was pretty much the only character I ever used since Brawl came out, and using him wasn't fun anymore.

Then Kid Icarus Uprising was announced. "Why in the world would they make another game starring the derpy cherub with the stupid voice?" Heh, kinda silly of him to say since he's a big fan now. I followed the game even more closely then I did for Brawl. I knew who Sakurai was, and the games he made. I mean, it was basically SSB as a shooter, what could top that?

Not too long after the announcement, I was back playing SSBB. I still didn't really have a main though, and my friend was trying to help. I still didn't really like Pit however, his voice in Brawl still doesn't sit right to the day. He still wanted me to try him, namely because I was essentially looking for a character like MK. Outstanding aerial mobility, fights with swords, and even has a great projectile, probably Brawl MK's one flaw. I chose him for playstyle at first.

But his personality was so eh. Just generic light and goodness and bleh. It was nice that he wasn't a mute, but he was still too generic for my tastes. Although as Kid Icarus Uprising was being revealed and released, Pit's personality came into light, and my opinion of him turned around quickly. He was a hilarious parody of the typical Nintendo goody-goody, and a memorable one at that. And now I love his personality and playstyle to the day.

Agro_98

Smash Cadet
NNID
leafsfan98
For most games a pick to main/secondary main characters who fit my playstyle and who's games I enjoy. I enjoy the F-Zero series and enjoy captain falcon's playstyle so I main him in a few games, including smash 4

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
:4kirby:Starting with the first Smash, I picked up Kirby because he was my favorite character of the bunch.
:4ness::4falcon:When I unlocked Ness and Captain Falcon, I had no idea who they were, but loved their uniqueness.

:4gaw::4link:In Melee, the only newcomer that excited me was Mr. Game & Watch. Ganondorf would have, had he not been a Falcon clone. I did end up picking Link up as well, since I love the Zelda games, and I wanted an additional main.

:4metaknight::4dedede:The first characters to jump out at me in Brawl were these two, who I had to main because Kirby.
:4olimar:I had never played Pikmin at the time, but after playing for a while, I ended up loving how Olimar played.
He's Solid Snake. And now I mourn his loss.

:4duckhunt:Similar to Olimar, I just loved the projectile game. Though I did play Duck Hunt way back in the day.
:4pacman:Pac-Man was the first game I ever played, and he's simply a joy to play. And he's Pac-Man.
:4shulk:His accent.
:4robinf:Chrom didn't get in. Reason enough to celebrate and main Robin, though I did play Awakening.
:4palutena:Her character was absolutely amazing in Uprising, among other reasons.

I have far too many mains.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
My main choice of Yoshi stemmed all the way back to 64. I was just a young boy and Yoshi showed me the light or egg.. whatever. When it came to melee, however, I could not handle having tap jump on and getting my recovery botched by an accidental jump during Up B. So after playing other characters, I found Doc to be the best fit for me. In brawl, the option to turn off tap jump was a blessing and ignoring his low tier placement, I was happy to be playing him again. With such attachment to the character, it's a no brainer to why I chose him in this iteration. Plus with the buffs Yoshi has received, it made me a happy camper.

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
Characters I like:
:4bowser::4bowserjr::4falcon::4darkpit::4drmario::4duckhunt::4falco::4fox::4ganondorf::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4link::4lucina::4mario::4marth::4megaman::4shulk::4tlink::4sheik::rosalina::4robinf::4pit::4palutena::4zelda::4zss::4wiifit::4ness:

Characters I think are fun to use:
:4bowser::4falcon::4duckhunt::4falco::4fox::4ganondorf::4jigglypuff::4lucina::4marth::4megaman::4shulk::4sheik::rosalina::4robinf::4palutena::4wiifit::4zelda:

Charcters I am decent at:
:4bowserjr::4fox::4ganondorf::4jigglypuff::4marth::4palutena::rosalina::4robinf::4shulk:

Characters that are interesting to play in my opinion:
:4bowserjr::4ganondorf::4marth::rosalina::4shulk:
^^^^^^
Top 5

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
My two mains are my mains for different reasons.

Robin, I went into the game wanting to main her. Thus, I worked hard at it and I'm good with her now. It wasn't a natural fit but I wanted it to happen (Not like in Brawl where I wanted to main Ivysaur and was surprised that I loved the moveset and fit very well)

Greninja, who I didn't know what to expect from. In the end, I was shocked that I was so good with him. He's probably my true main for this game since he's who I'm just straight up the best with. (Kind of like in Brawl where I never expected to love Lucas but I did, he was the only cat to even challenge Ivy as a main).

Probably the most surprising though is Link. I never liked Link before but the demo made me play him a lot and I'm a lot better with him than I thought I'd ever be. I need to add him to my signature. And so I will.

Iguana

Smash Cadet
I started trying the new characters, and I found Wii Fit Trainer really fun to use. I want to have a different main on Wii U, but I really enjoy playing WFT, so I'm not really sure if I'll keep her as a main there as well.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
When I first played Melee at a friend's house, the mechanics were not well explained to me and I sucked at the game. I played character after character and went through everyone I knew before finally picking the pink blob as a joke. His whimsical moveset design resonated with me and, before I knew it, I had taken a stock off of both the hardcore Fox players I was facing.
There could never be another main for me.

KEWB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KEWB99
3DS FC
4511-0666-0442
Some go with characters they enjoy from other games, some go with tiers, but I just go the tried and true method of playing as every freaking character for long enough to figure out who I like best in terms of playstyle. It also gives me a good idea of who my secondaries will be as I get to narrowing my choices down.

Last edited:
Top Bottom