• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can you prefer Melee over Brawl?

Demongod86

Smash Apprentice
Melee is faster on default than brawl. You can combo in melee, you cannot combo in brawl. There are certain characters nerfed beyond competitive playability in brawl as well (Hello Captain Falcon). The whole game was made to be "noob friendly" but will be the exact opposite thereof when the tier lists come about again (and they will).

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Some people like Melee, some people like SMash 64, some people like Brawl...That's it...They prefer that certain game over the others. Honestly people, it's not THAT difficult to understand. Some people prefer Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, and some people like the other Pokemon games. They got so used to how the attacks worked, and the Pokemon in that game, that the new system in D/P just wasn't for them...It's kinda sorta the same thing.
But pokemon D/P has online...seriously those who couldn't adapt to such a basic thing (that actually rocked for a ton of pokemon...hello dragons with huge attacks and gyarados and tyranitar) as the differentiation between special and physical which only required some very basic memorization were scrubon00bs of the worst kind.

Ryven

Smash Cadet
Hmm... I've played Brawl, and right now I'm just about on the line. I think I'm leaning a bit towards Melee, but just a tad. And I STILL can't wavedash, so you can make fun of me for having slow fingers, but not for missing it.

Melee has my favorite stage ever, Dreamland 64. I realize I can remake it in stage editor, but the background not being right will bug me. I'm picky like that.

Melee has Mewtwo. I have this weird hatred of Lucario: I never thought anything about him before the roster was out ("oh, he's a Pokemon from the new games, right?") but the fact that he's in and Mewtwo isn't has my inner Pokemon trainer eight-year-old crying out in indignation.

The Brawl physics still feel funny. Not oh-they're-just-different funny, more like Unreal Tournament -> UT2004 funny. I'm not sure why I'm complaining, since I play Kirby and his air movement is totally sick now, but for some reason I'm more comfortable with the old way.

It's more of a preference/attachment thing, I guess. I'll stop *****ing when my friends have a copy and stop playing Melee, because I'm not interested in being left out in the cold... but I'll probably never be quite happy. I'm naturally malcontent, though; I'm never really satisfied with anything. XD

EDIT: Dreiko, the new Pokemon games were a bad example. All I have to say about them is Power Creep. Lots of it. It's a sad day to look up on new strategies (having just gotten into the new games) and read that Pidgeot is "completely outclassed by Staraptor." Diamond and Pearl killed my childhood. Not really, but still.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Personal preference I guess.

Kinda like how people can prefer Super Street Fighter II Turbo over Street Fighter III Third Strike. Both games are unique and fun, so it doesn't really matter. If they want to play Melee still, let them. Who cares really?
This is the only post worth reading in this thread.

It's preference.

Bocom

Smash Apprentice
True, true, but it's been out for just a little while. Only time will tell if people will, eventually, drop Melee, something I doubt, because I will still play Melee once in a while after I get Brawl.

Heck, I still play SSB when I am bored. ;D

Brasil

Smash Cadet
For me, the big factor is going to be how the game feels, primarily speed-wise. If it feels a lot slower than Melee, then I might go back pretty frequently. If Brawl's speed is still decently fast, I'll be very happy rocking it out.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
There are only TWO reasons people would prefer Melee.

If you say you like Melee better, and say that its not because of one or both of these reasons, YOU ARE A WORTHLESS LIAR.

1. Wavedash-teh-ing. People (compets) prefer Melee because they enjoy the advantage Wavedashing gives them.
2. They suck at Brawl. I have one fried that is getting Brawl at the midnight release with me. I KNOW he will suck at Brawl, but he is one of the best Melee players. Until he gets good at Brawl, he wont want to play it against anybody.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Wait, so why do people prefer Smash 64? It's not like there's wavedashing or anything to give them an advantage there, and Melee has L-Canceling.

Is it really that hard for people to accept that some people like an older game more than a newer one? I still prefer Super Metroid to Metroid Fusion, and Starfox 64 to pretty much any of the other ones that came after it. >_>

Snick

Smash Rookie

If you say you like Melee better, and say that its not because of one or both of these reasons, YOU ARE A WORTHLESS LIAR.

1. Wavedash-teh-ing. People (compets) prefer Melee because they enjoy the advantage Wavedashing gives them.
2. They suck at Brawl. I have one fried that is getting Brawl at the midnight release with me. I KNOW he will suck at Brawl, but he is one of the best Melee players. Until he gets good at Brawl, he wont want to play it against anybody.
none of this is true

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer

Or you could stop being such an idiot and realize there are many more reasons.

My reason is that Brawl sucks as a game. It's less deep, it's slow, it's got very little technique, it's got almost no approach except for a select few characters who shall become Top Tier, the balance is pretty crummy since the gap between tiers is huge compared to Melee, the game itself promotes camping and rolling and more camping and more rolling.

The entire game system is so limited and restricted there really isn't much you can do. You can't combo, you can't really kill people (unless your character is Top Tier) and you can't even approach them (in any way) safely unless your character is Top Tier.

All in all, as a competitive fighter, the game is very, very sucky. If you actually played competitive fighters or Smash competitively, you would know that.

But instead you call us "Elitists" and other names because you cannot cope with the fact that Brawl is just less competitively viable and deep compared with Melee.

That is my reason. That is my truth. That is my story. Now shut up. I'm sick and tired of your nonsense.

Snick

Smash Rookie

My reason is that Brawl sucks as a game. It's less deep, it's slow, it's got very little technique, it's got almost no approach except for a select few characters who shall become Top Tier, the balance is pretty crummy since the gap between tiers is huge compared to Melee, the game itself promotes camping and rolling and more camping and more rolling.

The entire game system is so limited and restricted there really isn't much you can do. You can't combo, you can't really kill people (unless your character is Top Tier) and you can't even approach them (in any way) safely unless your character is Top Tier.

All in all, as a competitive fighter, the game is very, very sucky. If you actually played competitive fighters or Smash competitively, you would know that.

But instead you call us "Elitists" and other names because you cannot cope with the fact that Brawl is just less competitively viable and deep compared with Melee.

That is my reason. That is my truth. That is my story. Now shut up. I'm sick and tired of your nonsense.
Your concerns have been noted. Your account will be investigated, and you will receive a response within 48 hours.

Pikachu'sBlueWizardHat

Smash Apprentice

I agree with you for the most part, except in the case of missing characters or stages. The biggest Mewtwo fan in the world would probably prefer Melee just because he's gone from Brawl, or someone might love one of the stages in Melee that's not in Brawl.

Then again, tourney***s never play on the fun stages.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Actually, as a competitive player, I do play on the fun stages. Just not in tournaments. >_>

Tanzz

Smash Cadet
The reason to play Melee instead of brawl is the potential fact that Brawl might be less deep of a game, and therefore less competetive.

That's it.

Fastest

Smash Ace

This is the sad truth people.

I have brawl. It's fun. But it's not a good competitive game.

Yuna summed up the main topics but I'll add to it.

1) Sakurai removed L-Cancelling at the last minute in development. This has created glaring discrepancies in character's frame data. Peach, having virtually no lag on all of her moves vs. Gannon having terrible lag on everything. Peach plays virtually the same as she did in Melee, except now you don't even have to TRY and l or float cancel. The game just gives it to you.

2) Tripping - This aspect of the game is the #1 reason you know it wasn't created with competition in mind. I guarantee this will be the deciding factor in more than one equally matched tournament fight. You do not introduce such a large and debilitating random element to a competitive game.

3) Most moves are unsafe - Virtually every move, having been "hand tailored" by the "genious" that is Sakurai is worthless to advance upon a defensive opponent.

4) Shield lag greatly reduced - Combined with how unsafe attacks are. This reduces the offensive nature of the game even further.

5) Lack of combos/Kill moves on most characters - Combined with how terribly unsafe most moves are and the shield... once you actually DO score a hit. You can't do anything to prioritize on it.

99% of you noobs who thought you were good at Melee won't notice a thing. The top tier players of Melee won't play brawl and you kids will step in to take the crown of "king of the noobs". The good people who actually stay will still have their decent matches, but they'll be very slow and uninteresting.

This game will have a very short life, and die very quickly- much like Soul Calibur 3. I see the same traits:

1) Make moves that were safe, unsafe.
2) Restrict the game's mechanics by fixing "bugs" via newer and better programming techniques.
3) Remove previously guaranteed combos.

Watch the evolution of soul calibur 3's competitive matches. The game started out promising. But by the end of its competitive life, the matches were absolutely boring- with both players turtling and poking the living crap out of each other with the only safe move their character had.... no variation- because the game discouraged creativity by making everything unsafe.

Wife

Smash Lord
STFU about wavedashing. It's not nearly as important in Melee as you individuals who suck at the game make it out to be.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
Poor immature, inadaptable, stubborn wavedashers. Leave them in the dust. We'll be enjoying Brawl over here.
Maybe people enjoyed the difference in speeds attributed to non lightning melee? Maybe they enjoyed having different fall speeds to all the characters? Or maybe they just enjoyed the many great aspects of the Melee game? There were far too many differences in melee and far too much greatness to melee for you to just stereotype it to being all about wavedashing.

You're an idiot.

You might as well call me a beaner too.

:)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Fastest: You forgot one thing: Hitstun has been greatly removed.

This isn't even Mortal Kombat II where everything was unsafe on block because there was no blockstun. In this game, there's almost no Hitstun! That's right, you will barely lag even on hit!

This will mess up a lot of comboing and edgeguarding since, wow, you just tilted someone and launched them, but they can get out of the stun and hit you back if you try to combo them! Complete and utter garbage.

I also find it quite funny that HugS and Wife posted on the same page (incidentally corroborating my point).

Snick

Smash Rookie

This isn't even Mortal Kombat II where everything was unsafe on block because there was no blockstun. In this game, there's almost no Hitstun! That's right, you will barely lag even on hit!

This will mess up a lot of comboing and edgeguarding since, wow, you just tilted someone and launched them, but they can get out of the stun and hit you back if you try to combo them! Complete and utter garbage.
Comboing and edeguarding are terrible strategies. I bet they get Red Ring Rico'd, just like the console! LOL!

Ryo242

Smash Ace
I like Brawl over Melee, because Brawl has Landmasters, and Ike. And Ike always beats Landmasters.

Smash Ace
I prefer Melee over Brawl because I've never played Brawl. after I play it, I'll see where I stand.

However, the removal of Dr. Mario and Roy means that I will never fully leave Melee behind.
=2007=

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
I'll admit it: I'm a Tourney player, and I'm cool with it. But it's the people who fit the mold of the tourney*** stereotype that bug me, sorta like a black person who conforms to the "Uncle Tom" stereotype, ya know?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
So all your invalid reasoning from before was the results of your laughing at the thread, and not a serious attempt at logic? That's good to know.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace

I also find it quite funny that HugS and Wife posted on the same page (incidentally corroborating my point).
This is definitely one of my biggest beefs with the game. Go watch a Brawl Ganon vid-- that guy might as well not even TRY to combo out of a throw due to the lack of histun. At any % below 100%, Ganon can up/down throw and try to follow up with an aerial, but his opponent's stun wears off so fast that they can hit him first or airdodge away from the followup pretty much every time. Even at very high %s (150-200%), and with perfect set up, the best Ganon can usually hope for is to TRADE hits with his opponent after a throw. It's absurd.

This applies to pretty much all characters, I'm just using Ganon's throws as an example.

Ichida

Smash Ace
So all your invalid reasoning from before was the results of your laughing at the thread, and not a serious attempt at logic? That's good to know.
Within the laughter lies the logic. Those really are my opinions, I just didn't care to argue them well enough. :p

Top Bottom