• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how can i use wolf's upb more effectively

Mackaveli

Smash Rookie
i dont mean as a recovery tactic, since thats pretty obvious........but whenever i play or watch a cpu9 wolf they always try to use the upb as somewhat of a damage dealer........and it seems like if u get all the hits in (or at least the last one) it sends the opponent a good distance

it looks like it could have a lot of potential as a launcher or part of a good mindgame if u could land at least the last hit, but i cant think of any ways to make use of it or set it up:confused:

any ideas?

Bocks

Smash Apprentice
you could erase it from ur muscle memory so u'd never use it hence improving your game

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
There are only 2 times when I use this attack.

1. Recovery
2. I only use it to attack when im returning to the platform and im slightly higher than my opponent, i use it at them, if you do it right, you can kick them with the final hit to create some distance.

Thats about it

A_man13

Smash Master
I'm not a huge fan of the move, but it does make a great High KO move (not that wolf will use one anyway) just to carry the foe off the stage. But I prefer using the Down smash followed by a forward b since most foes are easily lauched into the sweetspot of the move at high damages.

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
Best way to use it? .....Don't use it

The lag and the fact if you are airborne you can't do anything except fall makes it too hard to use for anything except recovery.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I find it has surprisingly good priority for a firefox-like move. I occasionally use it to juggle my opponent, and either it catches them off guard and they fail to hit me out of it, or they try to hit me out of it and end up getting attacked instead.

The damage is pretty awful though.

J0RDY

Smash Journeyman
The move is fairly different from the firefox, as the move carries your opponent with it, also surprisingly sending them average distance at high %. I would only use it against an Opponent that you cant get near to, as the move can be unpredictable, and travels quite a distance at a fast pace (even if the lag is bad).
Not an amazing move, but can be satisfying when you get a full hit :D.

EDIT: I only ever use it straight along the ground, to stop the vulneribility of falling through the air. Never attack with it when you will end up in any empty space (especially when theres no stage below you :))

Bigtimefreak

Smash Rookie
I don't know if anyone else does, but I use it as an alternative to what would be his side B. Because I get kind of annoyed at the fact that they have to be in the air to make that effective against them, his up B used on the ground and sent straight often catches whoever I'm brawling, and if they have decent damage on them, which is no problem with Wolf, sends them a pretty good distance, either KOing them or leaving them open to one of Wolfs awesome aerial attacks.

teekay

Smash Journeyman
that is because the people you are playing against are too slow to react to it. better players will dodge it or shield it and punish you, I guarantee it. There is enough startup lag on it that it's almost impossible to find a good situation to hit with it. You will catch people off guard with it if they are unprepared, yes, but that will only build a bad habit that will haunt you if you play against someone more skilled.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why everyone here is hating on this move so much. You can't spam this move but I've managed to find good uses for it. It has amazing priority and distance and comes out quickly for a move of its nature. The ending lag isn't even that bad if you end it even with the ground.

I like to down throw and then just as my opponent is getting up use this move to catch them off guard. If you can time it right its almost unescapable and if they do shield it or dodge you'll blow past them and be out of their range. Another tactic I use is to shoot lasers at my opponent and if they try to jump over them get them in this attack just as they're landing. The trick to this attack is surprise and ending it even with ground so you don't get owned by the ending lag.

Top Bottom