• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U How Can I Lower My Friends Sodium Levels (Salt is Real)

G_Baby

Smash Cadet
Hey Everyone!

I am just wondering how you go about easing the tension that can sometimes arise when playing this game we love?

I play with two friends usually, and both of them tend to get very intense when they lose or "are getting bodied"

Friend A hates says irrational things, gets angry and does not want to hear a single thing. Hates the way I play says I am campy, hates true combos etc. all the Johns you can think of..

MY other friend really only gets salty when I win 3+ matches in a row. Hes a strong player but gets frustrated. Hates my characters, says I get enjoyment in seeing my friends distressed etc. In reality I do 0 trash talking, and quite honestly dont say much...

I do not like to show much emotion. When I win, I do not view it as a big deal and I do not insult the other players. This annoys them because they say I am robotic and cant show emotions either way. But for me its just I win some and lose some. If I win, I act like I have done it before. If I lose, it is because I made mistakes and they played well. I just like to remain focused and not trash talk.

How do you guys go about easing the salt level of your fellow smashers? Is there anything that can be done? Since my friends are salty when I dont trash talk should I just begin celebrating excessively and trash talking a bit myself? Any insights, stories you have would be great!

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Sadly: This is a problem they and only they can fix. You can't do much about it.
What you could try to do is encouraging them to shake hands after a best of 3/5, or trying to tell them what you did wrong and how they could've capitalized on it. You should also tell them they should be more civil when they lose and that their behaviour would be badly received in a tournament.

G_Baby

Smash Cadet
Sadly: This is a problem they and only they can fix. You can't do much about it.
What you could try to do is encouraging them to shake hands after a best of 3/5, or trying to tell them what you did wrong and how they could've capitalized on it. You should also tell them they should be more civil when they lose and that their behaviour would be badly received in a tournament.
Thats a good idea. And it might actually help me to critique myself!

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Hey Everyone!

I am just wondering how you go about easing the tension that can sometimes arise when playing this game we love?

I play with two friends usually, and both of them tend to get very intense when they lose or "are getting bodied"

Friend A hates says irrational things, gets angry and does not want to hear a single thing. Hates the way I play says I am campy, hates true combos etc. all the Johns you can think of..

MY other friend really only gets salty when I win 3+ matches in a row. Hes a strong player but gets frustrated. Hates my characters, says I get enjoyment in seeing my friends distressed etc. In reality I do 0 trash talking, and quite honestly dont say much...

I do not like to show much emotion. When I win, I do not view it as a big deal and I do not insult the other players. This annoys them because they say I am robotic and cant show emotions either way. But for me its just I win some and lose some. If I win, I act like I have done it before. If I lose, it is because I made mistakes and they played well. I just like to remain focused and not trash talk.

How do you guys go about easing the salt level of your fellow smashers? Is there anything that can be done? Since my friends are salty when I dont trash talk should I just begin celebrating excessively and trash talking a bit myself? Any insights, stories you have would be great!
I'll add my .2, although I don't think there can be a truly solid answer to this question.

You have to understand Smash has a huge tendency to strike nerves, even getting to the gentlest of beast. That being said, I don't think you can blame someone for getting hot-headed over the game. It is more frown upon to use the terms, "Salty," "Rekt," or "Git Gud." Those terms were funny at first, but have since grown mold. If anything, it shows more immaturity on the side of the person using these terms over the person insulting. Case in point, just the other day, after a battle, a guy put in his handle, "Salty?" and I simply put, "Grow Up." The guy put a question mark in his handle, then left. It's really become more of a method of trolling if anything. Some level of maturity is required to play online.

You also have to fairly serious in all aspects of Smash, as its contents kinda demand it. To get good at the game that is (fun has to take a back seat for awhile) Its human nature to hate to lose in anything, especially if it is losing repeatedly. It is, in actuality, a byproduct of frustration. Salt isn't real at all, its just a dirt-poor term to describe someone immaturely, generated by Smash's more competitive side. The "Salt" term really needs to die out.

That is my insight.

G_Baby

Smash Cadet
I'll add my .2, although I don't think there can be a truly solid answer to this question.

You have to understand Smash has a huge tendency to strike nerves, even getting to the gentlest of beast. That being said, I don't think you can blame someone for getting hot-headed over the game. It is more frown upon to use the terms, "Salty," "Rekt," or "Git Gud." Those terms were funny at first, but have since grown mold. If anything, it shows more immaturity on the side of the person using these terms over the person insulting. Case in point, just the other day, after a battle, a guy put in his handle, "Salty?" and I simply put, "Grow Up." The guy put a question mark in his handle, then left. It's really become more of a method of trolling if anything. Some level of maturity is required to play online.

You also have to fairly serious in all aspects of Smash, as its contents kinda demand it. To get good at the game that is (fun has to take a back seat for awhile) Its human nature to hate to lose in anything, especially if it is losing repeatedly. It is, in actuality, a byproduct of frustration. Salt isn't real at all, its just a dirt-poor term to describe someone immaturely, generated by Smash's more competitive side. The "Salt" term really needs to die out.

That is my insight.
I appreciate this. When you play with friends or people IRL... What do you do to alleviate tension.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
User was warned for this post
Get a salt shaker and start shaking it over them. They'll learn. And also go to the hospital to get eye surgery, since the salt will make them blind.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I appreciate this. When you play with friends or people IRL... What do you do to alleviate tension.
Call up Princess Peaches long lost sister, Princess Valium, and say we have a Smash Bros situation in the forecast. Just kidding, just kidding mods.

Kidding aside, I'd say if the gaming is getting too hot-headed, call it quits for awhile. All in moderation.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Why even get so mad at a game like that, seriously?
I understand if you get mad a tournament or something, especially if you lose 3 tournaments in a row to the same guy in the finals and get far less prize money, that breaks even the coldest of men, but just casual competition?
Get a salt shaker and start shaking it over them. They'll learn. And also go to the hospital to get eye surgery, since the salt will make them blind.
My friend did that to another friend of mine, once, in a tournament, except of course, he'd ask him for permission first.

Top Bottom