• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS How are you doing with the controls?

Superu Asmashu Brozzeru 3DSooooo controls.

• I hate it. Pour salt in my eyes.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Not really a problem. *sips hot tea*

Votes: 33 44.6%
  • It's good. Victory is sweet.

Votes: 29 39.2%

• Total voters

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
This is quite a surprise to even myself, but I prefer the 3DS controls to the GameCube controls for Smash. It's my favourite way to play Smash actually, I'm really happy that they pulled it off like they did! :D

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I've been pretty good. Things like Lucina's Dancing Blade string are a bit hard to do consistently, but it's not a huge issue.

LinkSword93

Smash Cadet
NNID
Umdytr
3DS FC
3668-9197-4509
About the same as GC controller!? WTF? x_x
I almost never grab with Z so that's not an issue for me and I don't find it hard to use L.
The position of the buttons and what they do other than the aforementioned is exactly the same, and I have long fingers so the 3DSXL still fits like a glove.

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
They're not the same... and there's a lot more to a controller than just buttons...

Any handheld isn't gonna satisfy veteran smashers.

Playing Smash on 3DS is like playing Smash with your hands chained up. It's still Smash but it's limited.

Last edited:

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
It took a little getting used to but I've been doing fine.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Killed TapJump, moved Grab to Y, life is good. Took virtually no time to get used to, though naturally I'll prefer the GCN controller when it's available for the U version.

I still have a bad habit of tipping the circlepad a bit wrong (Often results in a sideB when I need an UpB), but that will get better with time and self-destructs.

Last edited:

g00dapollo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Barayas
3DS FC
0061-0892-6923
I'm actually liking defualt controls. There's no real issues I've found. I turned off tap jump, that's really about it. Doing so certainly helped my ability to perform up tilt's a lot easier.

LinkSword93

Smash Cadet
NNID
Umdytr
3DS FC
3668-9197-4509
They're not the same... and there's a lot more to a controller than just buttons...

Any handheld isn't gonna satisfy veteran smashers.

Playing Smash on 3DS is like playing Smash with your hands chained up. It's still Smash but it's limited.
Please illuminate me as to further differences. As for the rest, I think you missed the second point.

Last edited:

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
The differences is the button layout and the way you grip the "controller"

GC controller has an angled T alignment for the buttons, with A being in the center and the others tier'd off of it. That gives you easy access to all 3 with your finger resting on the A button at all times. cant do that with the 3DS which is why i have moved to my Y Special and A Normal settings, my finger rests on X to jump.
Bigger one to me is the grip though. I can relearn button arrangements quickly, as ive proven to a few choice smash friends that didnt have a GC controller for brawl so i had to use the *shutters* wiimote...but at least the wiimote sits in my hands correctly. Even the XL, my fingers in the back are crunches in an odd angle to hold it and that hurts after while, especially with an intense battle.

Zimoria

Smash Rookie
I'm fairly new to smash games as a whole(played mostly melee, very little brawl), I've adapted without much issue. I did have trouble doing moves that require me to move the joystick and hit a or b at the same time. The joystick is just a bit awkward. I did immediately switch the shield and grab buttons though. I don't know what they were thinking setting the defaults like they did.

I think that's more from my inexperience than anything else though.

Last edited:

MSCowboy

Smash Rookie
I love the controls. The circle pad is surprisingly amazing for this kind of gameplay, and over all it's almost perfect. Hopefully the c-stick on the New 3DS will work well, and I think it's a rather clever move they made to allow 3DS's to be used as controllers for the Wii U version, after giving us a few months to get used to it.

The only thing that was hard for me to learn was L for grab and R for shield, and that was only hard because I had played quite a lot of Playstation All-Stars on Vita, which has those functions reversed - and even in smash I had always used L to roll. I probably would have switched them because of that if I'd started with the full game, but I played so much of the demo where I couldn't change the controls, I'm now perfectly happy with default.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
They are better than I expected, but god do I suck at pressing up apparently. I mess up constantly trying to up-b and up air, the only other game besides Smash I've played on the 3DS is Pokemon so I assume I just haven't gotten used to it yet.

Terramorphic

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3625-8838-7933
I'm doing fine with them, dash sensitivity is keeping me from controlling my character as well as I want, but I'm getting better.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I actually got used to the inverted shield/grab buttons with L/R.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I'm okay with it still wish I could switch to the dpad for movement though

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
Please illuminate me as to further differences. As for the rest, I think you missed the second point.
... I don't need to explain something so obvious. If you can't understand it by yourself then nobody can help you... One would simply need to LOOK at them and understand. Second point is what?

Kusovai

Smash Rookie
The 2DS seems more comfortable to hold than any of the 3DS's. It's nothing compared to an actual controller, but its playable. The circle pad takes a lot of getting use to though.

Top Bottom