• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hovering off of the ledge.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OpO4yQMKEw

As the video says, Mewtwo can cancel his ledge jump and hover immediately, putting him at ground level. This allows for instant attacks from off the ledge. I didn't feel like scrounging around for the audio since it doesn't like working with me all the time. Just putting this up since I haven't seen anyone attempt to do it in any matches yet.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OpO4yQMKEw

As the video says, Mewtwo can cancel his ledge jump and hover immediately, putting him at ground level. This allows for instant attacks from off the ledge. I didn't feel like scrounging around for the audio since it doesn't like working with me all the time. Just putting this up since I haven't seen anyone attempt to do it in any matches yet.
Video is set to "private"

CeLL

Smash Lord
You can also ledge jump and immediately waveland to do an immediate ground attack, as with any character. As such, Mewtwo can input any move immediately off of a ledge.

I think Mewtwo is still underrated. All the top players don't use all of his options, and don't make full use of hover (M2K barely uses it), especially in edgeguarding.

Mister the Wizard

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7432-3401
I've found a couple unique and very useful things about hovering as well: I was messing around and did the ledge thing like you guys are saying, but I also found out that if you just jump and immediately slam the stick down then to the left, you can hover pixels over the ground. Then, you can move left and right along the ground and pretty much put out very well spaced aerials. In addition, since you still float for a few frames AFTER an aerial, there's no lag and L-cancelling isn't needed. I find Nair to be extremely useful in this situation, as you can activate it then just become a gigantic moving hitbox. Another thing that I've found is that if you do an aerial at the very end of the hover, it actually extends your hover for the length of the move's animation. So if you jump, hover, start floating up, then at the very last second do nair, then continue floating up, you can actually go really far. Doing this is actually significantly farther than his regular double jump, and this also helps because you can extend the time you're floating over the ledge for a spike or bair. Just some little intricacies I found out about the hover :) It's a really cool mechanic.

CeLL

Smash Lord
I've found a couple unique and very useful things about hovering as well: I was messing around and did the ledge thing like you guys are saying, but I also found out that if you just jump and immediately slam the stick down then to the left, you can hover pixels over the ground. Then, you can move left and right along the ground and pretty much put out very well spaced aerials. In addition, since you still float for a few frames AFTER an aerial, there's no lag and L-cancelling isn't needed. I find Nair to be extremely useful in this situation, as you can activate it then just become a gigantic moving hitbox. Another thing that I've found is that if you do an aerial at the very end of the hover, it actually extends your hover for the length of the move's animation. So if you jump, hover, start floating up, then at the very last second do nair, then continue floating up, you can actually go really far. Doing this is actually significantly farther than his regular double jump, and this also helps because you can extend the time you're floating over the ledge for a spike or bair. Just some little intricacies I found out about the hover :) It's a really cool mechanic.
If you tap jump while you're holding down, you hover on the ground frame perfectly. No need to waste frames pressing down after you jump. (Also, slamming the sticks will reduce the lifetime of your controller) What you're talking about are hover cancelled aerials, a mechanic intended by the PMBR where if you land while doing an aerial during hover, the landing lag is reduced to only five frames. It's extremely useful, but nair is easily beat, so you might try using the other aerials more, like our godly bair.

Mister the Wizard

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7432-3401
Godly is definitely a good way to put it. Also, when I say slam I didn't mean like a literal slam, I meant like you jump then press down really quickly. Maybe slam wasn't the best word. I didn't know you could hover instantly tho.

Top Bottom