• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hover Shine

-Shion-

Smash Cadet
It's a stalling technique... won't help much in situations unless the stage has gimmicks, but it can also be used as a mind game.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
I think it could help by stalling the fall giving the person some time to think, maybe, it may not be useful at all. but if you push someone off the stage you can do that repeatably to block your opponent from getting back to the edge, like a mid-air edge guard kind of thing.

ScubaF_ingSteve

NNID
ScubaSteve94
I don't think that was necessarily an intent for how the reflector should be used you know?
Much like the SF in MP:H.
It won't be illegal simply because it has little to no use and if anything harms the user more than the opponent.
SF?

Anyways, it doesn't matter if it was intended or not, people come up with inventive combos with this kind of stuff.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
SF?

Anyways, it doesn't matter if it was intended or not, people come up with inventive combos with this kind of stuff.

Sorry I keep thinking MP:H terms.

SF=shadow freeze
Using Noxus' affinity youaim at the ground with the judicator.
Charge up a shot and release.
The vertical hitbox of the shot is infinite in range and invisible.
it doesn't seem like a glitch but it is and unintentional.

After all wavefdashing was tolerated in SSBM.
What matters is if its gamebreaking.

ScubaF_ingSteve

NNID
ScubaSteve94
Sorry I keep thinking MP:H terms.

SF=shadow freeze
Using Noxus' affinity youaim at the ground with the judicator.
Charge up a shot and release.
The vertical hitbox of the shot is infinite in range and invisible.
it doesn't seem like a glitch but it is and unintentional.

After all wavefdashing was tolerated in SSBM.
What matters is if its gamebreaking.
Oh never heard of it, I play mp:h too, and I was wondering what that was, how do you do it? Pm me.

I agree wavedashing was glitch and they expected that, I'm sure since this isn't even a glitch people won't care. I can't think of 3 ways to use this to over power your opponent.

Doval

Smash Lord
I don't think that was necessarily an intent for how the reflector should be used you know?
It was clearly intended since it only cancels into itself (you can't do mid-air shine -> aerial/air dodge as fast as you can do mid-air shine -> mid-air shine.) Something like that would have to be deliberately coded into the game.

It's nothing game-breaking. And just call it the shine stall, since that's what it is. All these lame names are annoying.

BinAly

Smash Apprentice
I don't think that the development team, neither Sakurai would let something so simple to notice pass through them. Also, they say at the Wolf update in the Dojo that Wolf's Reflector doesn't stop his fall, so, I think they know that Fox has one that stop his fall. ;)

andrewg

Smash Apprentice
I don't really see how this is much different than in ssbm. You can do the same thing now only a tiny bit longer....

Oh no, the person is in the air and i cannot reach him. How would this be a baneed tactic?

If it were possible to stay in mid-air forever then it would be banned though, but I don't think that's the case.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
In Melee it doesn't work at all, because Fox falls like a rock, and if you hold the shine he'll gradually start to fall faster.

Number one, no glitch is tournament banned unless there is a good reason to do so. For example, the Ice Climbers Freeze Glitch, which completely disables the opponent and can completely stop the match, is banned. However, a glitch like Ness's Yo-Yo Glitch is perfectly legal.

Number two, this will obviously be banned because it is stalling. That's not to say that shining multiple times in the air will be banned; it depends on the intent. If you are ahead and want to run out the time limit, it's cheating. If you are being edgehogged and want to stall your momentum until you can recover, it's legal.

L__

Smash Master
i'm pretty sure that tech was already named. it was discovered a long time ago. it's called the j-shine btw.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Number two, this will obviously be banned because it is stalling. That's not to say that shining multiple times in the air will be banned; it depends on the intent. If you are ahead and want to run out the time limit, it's cheating. If you are being edgehogged and want to stall your momentum until you can recover, it's legal.
This.

If it is a truly legit stall tactic it will not be allowed. There is already a precedent set about things like that-- Peach bomber stall from Melee, anyone? Hoevershining (ha, I hate people trying to name things but I like that) is fine, but using it to stall out a match might be questionable, and the right people will make that decision.

BinAly

Smash Apprentice
True, if this technique enables someone to stall the Match indefinitely, it will be banned, but I don't think this will be the case, Fox still falls.

It may depend on the level.

Vinntage

Smash Rookie
would that be considered a kind of noob shine since its just spamming down b?

waks

Smash Journeyman
It is just spamming down b, unless they're doing something extra with it.

Superstar

Smash Champion
I haven't posted in a VERY long time, so meh, why not.

I found this out a short while ago, like 2 or 3 days into playing Brawl. Its both saved me and ruined me, mostly when I use it at the wrong time. Normally when I'm trying to recover I use the properties of an aerial shine it in order to mess with the opponent's timing and give me room to recover, mostly with an illusion. Sometimes I mix it up with 2 shines. And its gotten me out of situations by letting me dodge certain attacks. Other times I get hit with a fair and it was a bad idea using it, and sometimes I just float in the air to show off.

Its not anything gamebreaking, just useful. It was recorded in the J-Shine video as well, but only to showcase the difference between a ground and aerial shine.

Edit: It doesn't help me with projectile spamming. It seems that the shine has to be out for a little for it to reflect. I still get hit with stuff like Pit's arrows.

nUb_

Smash Rookie
You can actually do the stall, trip the foe out, and FASTFALL it into nair or bair.

Nifty trick against slow ones. Still, not very useful other than dropping yourself slowly to Up+b right on the EDGE when youre trying to recover.

waks

Smash Journeyman
Maybe a good use for this is to do it when Ike is trying to recover.

At some points, Ike will be forced to use side-b to recover. You can stall yourself off the stage, at the level of the platform so that when he does side-b, he hits you and his recovery gets gimped XD

Of course, it wont work if ike can use up-b to recover.

Top Bottom