• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I'm starting to believe the Ridley hype that he will be in lol.

RT, good point. Boss hazards should be auto banned. What about Boxing Ring? The only hazard is breaking the hanging light set up which can be seen/avoided. All though that stage looks HUGE and could easily be timeouts imo.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
after watching the e3 invitational, that stage doesn't look like it should be legal at all, circle camping is a *****.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Permanent walkoff stages will probably banned. They just promote camping. Plus, there's always some tech that causes them to be banned.

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
That's what I was thinking. Could be cool if both people fight in the ring, but just looks completely too big.

Edit: Does this mean Colosseum should be banned? It's walk off, but looks smaller than the boxing ring.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Damn, do any of y'all remember what I did when brawl came out lol? It was the best time to be playing smash.

Port Town (my fav)
Corneria
Luigi Mansion
Poctochat
Halberd
Delfino
FD
Battle field
Smashvill
Castle siege
Brinstar
Pkmn 1
Pkmn 2
Rainbow cruise
Norfair

Those were all legal at the beginning because brawl wasn't garbage Brawl yet. Before MK dominating, before DDD chain grabbing like crazy, and before olimar spam.....etc.

Smash 4 will be treated the same. Why butcher the game to the extreme right out of the box? Now yes, yellow devil isn't going to be legal. He is huge, hurts people when he attack AND when he exodes, can't be perm killed......etc. his stage is what you call "obvious" in terms of banned. Just like New Pork City.

As for characters, I highly recommend to everybody tha if you wanna WIN, pick who is GOOD and not who you like. This game isn't melee.

Xyro77

Boxing ring and other non moving walk off stages should be legal until we see another DDD type issue.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
*Shulk ends up being low tier*

IT KEEPS HAPPENING.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Meta Knight changes:
More aerial mobility, better walk speed, forward air becomes single swings, shuttle loop doesn't send you into free fall, all hits of forward tilt are the same swing as the last and jab as a multihit move has solid kill power; and somehow ends up chaingrabbing the entire cast with down throw. But it'll be fine, he may not have a glide anymore, and maybe shuttle loop won't kill (or only will from behind his head where it does the majority of its damage in the Wii Kirby Game), although it definitely would in one of the custom moveset options for it.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It probably is just as hard or harder to do than Melee SDI. This would make sense if they are trying to make multihit moves useful again.

People are expecting Brawl SDI for some reason.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Unless your name is Link, then you get to suck forever in Smash games.

Being Link is suffering.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Yet another reason why Project Meh is trash. They can't even get a basic Smash rule since 64 right.

TERRIBLE.

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
Ah, it's nice to see people that live near me. I don't play Smash competitively but I'd love to get in on some tournaments. I main Marth, Ike, Bowser and Ganondorf. Yeah, I don't really use tier listings because most of my favorites are low-tier.

But when I went to Smash fest, it was a real shame to see how nerfed Marth is. It's quite saddening.

I wonder if there will be any upcoming Brawl tournaments in my area soon.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Sat and watched the character moveset breakdown for every video available, game looks real exciting.

Villager, Little Mac, Yoshi and Sheik look insanely combo oriented/interesting. Zelda's Down-B adds a whole new dimension into her follow up game - may not wind up to be as bad as a character as I thought based off of judging at the WiiU E3 Demo.

Lots of stuff's still in too (that people initially said wasn't). For example, SDI and Pikachu's QAC - Marth's aerial lag (and aerial landing lag in general) doesn't look nearly as terrible as shown at the invitational, you can pivot grab/attack, hitstun's increased, etc.

I think keeping nearly all the stages legal aside from the obvious banworthy ones is always the proper route to go (like you said concerning the Knockout Ring and DDD's chaingrab) but can't see how you wouldn't want to translate that same mentality over for the Mii Fighters on at least a tournament or two, Xyro.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Mii Fighters should start as legal but will probably be banned. Allowing customizable fighters is asking for trouble.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
yeah, i agree. we should at least see what's up w/ them though

Xyro77

I'm not using the same mentality for
Anything.

When I see DK shoot a hurricane out of his super punch and s h I t I can only imagine how bad Miis will be.

So I'm gonna give the 3ds event a shot and pay attention to the rest of the country.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Miis should be allowed. They're customization is different than regular fighters. The regular fighters are able to input attribute changing moves onto them via customization. Miis are literally switching to 1 of 4 separate specials that you can pick from. If you learn these, it shouldn't be a problem at all. They just seem like a different customization to me than the attribute changing ones. And if time is a problem, input a 5 minute rule to get started. As a TO, rules should be enforced and it shouldn't even take that long to create a Mii to fight with.

Xyro77

Creating a mii
Editing all of it's moves
Editing your controls
Creating a name
Sticking stages

That alone can be 3-5 min assuming there isn't a mii ditto and assuming the other player doesn't do any editing listed above too.

That is WAY too long and wastes times.

If custom moves are ok, Miis will be allowed. If they are allowed, I will not allow people to waste time creating a mii. Use the default one because if not it slows down the bracket.

Kinda off topic but

This new series (TGC) is going to go back to the way I did HOBO 1-15. Going back to basics. Focusing on singles/doubles and getting Texas good again. All these side events are nice but have cause major time issues simply because too many are done with too many people.

Xyro77

My new tournament series (Texas Gaming Championships) will be starting in the very near future for Smash 4 and a few other competitive Nintendo games. This will be a new beginning for Texas smash and I'm really excited about it.

With this series, I am completely 100% starting over in terms of how I run events and what I provide for the players that attend them. This time, it is going to be less about ME and more about YOU....well to an extent lol.

So this is where you, the players, come in. What do you want to see from my events? Be realistic with you requests please because I AM listening to your feedback. If you don't really know where to start, let me throw out some questions and you can go from there, ok?

1. What do you want in terms of a venue?

2. What type of events would you like to have other than the normal 1vs1/2vs2? Amateur bracket? Guaranteed pools? Low tier or mid tier events? Crews?

3. Extended payouts? Prizes? Large MMs and side bets?

These are just to get you started. Basically I want to know what YOU want when you come to my events. Please be serious because I am very serious. Double posts and spam posts will be deleted regardless of value.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I'm developing a TO program atm that I've been using successfully for 4 tournaments thus far.
It's a ladder/queue program essentially. It uses match making to allocate matches (people of similar elo / not played recently [it could be improved 10million percent, it's the least fleshed out part of what I've done).

I've written a lot of things about it that I can pass on if you're interested, but the main focus of it is being pro-"everyone".

In terms of how you use it... events are ladder matches for how ever many hours, make a small bracket towards the end of the day of the best competitors of the day perhaps, or just have a season with a final at some point using the ladder for seeding/etc.

It currently manages lots of data, which you can see examples of http://smashboards.com/threads/nsw-fern-drouge-wednesday-21st-of-may-/・ω・-/.353359/#post-16887529

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Once again, time can be ENFORCED as rules. It shouldn't take that long honestly. You should be prepared in what to do before a tournament. I'm talking about the Mii customization concept itself. It doesn't look as game breaking as the attribute changing moves for regular fighters. Palutena also shares separate specials like Miis.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
1. What do you want in terms of a venue
A location that has adequate AC, room size, capacity, and won't charge an excessive venue fee. You've already experienced what happens when a venue is missing one of these key necessities.

Stable internet connection would be preferred for livestreaming but not a dealbreaker.

2. What type of events would you like to have other than the normal 1vs1/2vs2? Amateur bracket? Guaranteed pools? Low tier or mid tier events? Crews?
Low tier and mid tier events are fine, but they should never take priority over the main events. They are side events after all. If it's clear that singles or doubles run a risk of not finishing on time, then the side events should be canceled. It sucks, but gotta make sacrifices sometimes...

As far as new events, assuming custom moves will get banned, allow a custom moves tournament. Something like single elimination, all moves allowed. See if anyone can break the game.

3. Extended payouts? Prizes? Large MMs and side bets?
How the previous Hobos paid out should be okay, payout based on attendance. More entrants = more top finishers being paid out. It encourages people to travel for larger tourneys.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Once again, time can be ENFORCED as rules. It shouldn't take that long honestly. You should be prepared in what to do before a tournament. I'm talking about the Mii customization concept itself. It doesn't look as game breaking as the attribute changing moves for regular fighters. Palutena also shares separate specials like Miis.
Razer you cannot enforce each person who uses a mii to obey a 3min rule. That takes time away from the event as well as the 3min to get set up.

People picking the standard mii built into sm4sh is good enough and saves time.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
You would still have to pick the size you want and you might have to go to Mii maker for that.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
I'm assuming this means Palutena is in a similar boat, maybe even worse since she has a **** ton of customization.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I do not look forward to seeing doubles with 4 Mii Fighters/Palutenas.

Xyro77

Razer, think about it.

Create mii
Pick moves
Customize controls
Create name
Sync controller (assuming no GCN)
Stage striking

This will most def waste 3-5min.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
if you can transfer miis/palutena builds on wiimotes, that would be nice, but they could still take up time switching between matches. Maybe if you use them, you have to stick with whatever build you're using? That would kind of take away the point of counterpicking tho

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
All of that minus creating the Mii can be done in the span of under 2 minutes. We need to see how long the Mii process is. If you have to make them from the Wii U menue, forget that. Maybe even have set Miis for tournament play.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I suspect the 3DS version of Smash will let you import the Mii Fighter you have created on the 3DS to the Wii U.

At least if they were smart, they would do this...

Xyro77

So now we gotta rely on people to bring wiimotes/3ds for faster mii creation?! Lmao you people comain about events starting late/ending late yet you support a GUARANTEED time drainer.

Nice

Top Bottom