• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZfRfdASIOA

Here is a recorded match from the other Best Buy.

I also played the 3DS version and tested Sheik.

-Dthrow seems almost the same, maybe more hitstun to promote combos. Almost certainly no chaingrab.

-Distance of Burst Grenade can go pretty far and the wind hitbox which brings people towards the nade is pretty big.

-Ftilt almost seems unchanged, you can probably still ftilt lock some characters. Would need more testing for sure.

-Fair seems the same.

-Dair has the same stall then fall property. Did not test thoroughly.

-Fmash seems to set up more into combos if you hit with the second part.

-Dsmash seems to be the same.

-Needles seem unchanged, still auto-store after you max out.

That's all I remember/tested. The local wireless play was pretty terrible/laggy, almost Brawl status...but probably because it is beta/lot of 3DS units present.

Overall, the game does seem "faster" because people usually die faster from hits, but you can still survive with good DI and stale move effect from Brawl is still in. It really does seem like Brawl 2.0 for now.

Last edited:

heytallman

CTALL
I signed on for the first time in forever to say: I won both of my matches at Best Buy (yes, I got to play TWO. Eat it, nerd Allan). I am declaring myself best in Houston right now.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Its faster in more ways than one. character movement is faster.

and tallman, no one i know was trying to win matches. we were all experimenting with our characters.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
The game really did feel like a slightly sped up Brawl. It's hard to make final judgements from FFA matches, but it already feels like 1v1 will still end up with some timeouts. Just seeing some elements of Brawl still present worries me and other people.

Guess we'll see soon enough...

Last edited:

Xyro77

The game really did feel like a slightly sped up Brawl. It's hard to make final judgements from FFA matches, but it already feels like 1v1 will still end up with some timeouts. Just seeing some elements of Brawl still present worries me and other people.

Guess we'll see soon enough...

Its much closer to brawl than melee so yeah id def think time-outs will still happen. IM ok with this as long as its not dumb stuff like MK stalling or MK vs IC literally standing still for 3 mins doing NOTHING.

ZeroRebellion10

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZeroRebellion10
3DS FC
0173-1592-7286
I was there as well. From what I've seen, I was largely disappointed with some of the characters' changes. Hopefully they will make the corrections before release time.

Marth's b-air is even more terrible than in past games, with really no horizontal reach.
Link is the same as always, though the dash-a was turned into Link's iconic jump slash.

And from what I've seen, out of the new characters that were on there, all of them seem pretty useful. Megaman though will take some time getting used to. However, I found that Little Mac's and Rosalina's Final Smashes to be extremely lackluster and under-powered. However, this could be due to the fact that with the former, the ones that got it, even when I fought it, couldn't do much with it, and Rosalina's didn't go all the way through its animations since the timer went off.

There was another character that I've got to see whose Final Smash was way under-powered, but I can't remember for the life of me.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
The one in Woodlands had well close to 200 people. I believe the group I was with was like the 4th/5th group to play, and we got there around 1:30PM. It took almost an hour before we got to play once the demo started at 4PM.

I feel sorry for the people who decided to show up exactly at 4. They did not plan appropriately.

Last edited:

Gea

Smash Master
Its faster in more ways than one. character movement is faster.

and tallman, no one i know was trying to win matches. we were all experimenting with our characters.
Sorta. Aerial ending lag is pretty bad. Either way, it was exactly what I was expecting... except I didn't really anticipate them to continue to take out things like missle canceling. The dumbing down continues.

Shoutouts to Leaf for trying new foods and liking them. Also shoutouts to HOBO 12.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
#parahax #fraud

Xyro77

Xyro77 is my skype but no one uses skype. Text me 409-692-0697

And Gea, yeah things were taken away but things were added too. Like every smash game, they are all different from the last. I like it.

Pivot tilts (new AT) will be very useful.

Though the new ledge mechanics punish my samus severely, MK or any ledge abuser can abuse no more. I'll gladly sacrifice samus for that.

Gea

Smash Master
Pivot tilting isn't new by how they described it... that's what happens when you buffer a turnaround attack after a dash. I am like 90% sure this is how it works in brawl as well. The high platforms on a lot of stages will just mean whatever character wants to run will do so that way. I'm glad you are looking forward to this game, but please don't expect anything but Brawl again, because that is exactly what this game is.

Xyro77

We already know it's not an exact copy of brawl. It's better in some areas while worse in others.

As long as we stay away from being melee-ish, I'm happy.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
It's similar to Brawl, but this is in no way Brawl with more characters. I think it has potential. The final prodcut isn't here either. Needs time to flesh out. I'm excited for it. Like Allan said, this is it's own game.

Xyro77

The in game mic is fine/convenient. Just like with MHU3. I can literally sit in my closet on a bean bag and play/chat with out computers or anything.

Xyro77

Yeah man I have no idea why his cookie crumbled that way. I don't get it.

But it's just a demo, things can change. Have hope.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
The day Marth becomes mid-tier is the day Smash is dead.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Man, your character got nerfed? That must suck.

Xyro77

LMAOOOOO

yeah not as bad as olimar. No offense to you but in so glad he was pooped on.

Olimar is one of the characters that defined how terrible brawl is.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Brawl/melee counter is 1.1. Barrels were 20% in brawl apparently, so maybe its 1.5 damage now.

But otherwise, warlock punch marth's counter at 60%, I'm pretty sure ganon dies.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
LMAOOOOO

yeah not as bad as olimar. No offense to you but in so glad he was pooped on.

Olimar is one of the characters that defined how terrible brawl is.
No offense taken. He needed a nerf or two, and I know he pisses a lot of people off.
I hear that they went a bit overboard with the nerfs, but we won't know until the game is actually released and the metagame develops.
In any event, I'm looking forward to it. ^^
It sure must be hard

to have your main nerfed.

Hi I main wolf.

:059:
They could still add him! Only one Starfox character so far, no?

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
If the no SDI is still in the final version, and it will very likely not change, MK will still be amazing...

Beware the future...

Top Bottom