• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I highly recommend people do what Gnes/razer did in brawl. Get a team mate and stick with them.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Anybody going to Apex 2015?

Allan are you doing any qualifiers?

Last edited:

Xyro77

Slush, he's not top tier and people don't hate him. We just ain't use to a garbage dinosaur actually being good for once.

Flip, no. I won't ever be a qualifier because I don't support his rules. I am 100% ok with this too. We didn't need to be one in brawl and we don't need to be one now.

Xyro77

I'm not hosting MELEE/PM for starters

I guarantee you my ruleset will different from the series that took part of ruining brawl.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Xyro, Yoshi is better than you think. He really does have the makings of top tier, at least for a long while. And he's easier to use than most other characters.

Also, I am curious, will you make the bold claim to be helping Houston prepare for national tournaments even though our ruleset will be completely different from them? Because practicing the wrong ruleset doesn't help...

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Slush, he's not top tier and people don't hate him. We just ain't use to a garbage dinosaur actually being good for once.
Top tier in my book (not in Brawl's terms, Top tier belonged to MK only, **** you meat night) is any character that can sit in either top 3 or 5 depending on roster, and since 50+ characters I think this time around Top 5 should be good enough for where Yoshi might rank, lowest I can say is 8th-12th.

Also people do hate him actually, we have a thread or two the newbies have made regarding how they're getting called a ****** and such for playing Yoshi. In Brawl's terms of playing him, people would just groan at the thought of having to deal with eggs since for some reason people didn't enjoy playing against Yoshi despite Met Knit IC and Olimar being a thing in brawl.

http://smashboards.com/threads/comi...ocial.352003/page-10#post-17771223[/collapse]

Last edited:

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Once midterms are over, smash will feel so much sweeter. Looking forward to TGC though. If you don't find someone Razer lemme know, I'm up for teams.

How tf exactly are you supposed to get good at Mario Kart 8 is what I'm wondering though? Explain plz.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Go find the competitive MK boards and be a tryhard.

It's why Smashboards exists for Smash.

Xyro77

Xyro, Yoshi is better than you think. He really does have the makings of top tier, at least for a long while. And he's easier to use than most other characters.

Also, I am curious, will you make the bold claim to be helping Houston prepare for national tournaments even though our ruleset will be completely different from them? Because practicing the wrong ruleset doesn't help...
The game isn't a month old yet. No way to know which character is top.

And as for the rules, I'll do what I did in brawl. Make a ruleset, you guys play it and still do good at Apex like always.

How Is this possible?!?!? It's quite simple my dear Watson!!!!! If apex only has 3 starters but I have 5 (which also include the 3 apex has) then we are still ready for apex stages but also not butchering the game.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
At this point, even early, you can tell who can be considered good, medicore, or bad.

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
Yoshi is definitely one of the better characters in the game. He is fast strong and can actually recover now with the egg stall. all but 2 of his aerials kill. and he has moves that combo well into others (d tilt has set knockback which can lead to DACUS, dash attack, grab, Jab to f tilt.) He has so much upside now.

Also being able to jump OoS now is such a great thing for yoshi now

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Egg stall?
He has like two hops only now. If anything the new crappy ledge mechanics is why he can actually recover now since edge guarding is practically gone.

No matter how many times you bash him around offstage, unless it's a spike, he'll keep flying higher and higher from most aerials and can eventually be high enough to grab the ledge or just even make it back to the stage itself.

Also dunno what you mean on dtilt to DACUS. Yoshi's DACUS is still a total halt. Not like Greninja Sheik etc.

Last edited:

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
Egg stall?
He has like two hops only now. If anything the new crappy ledge mechanics is why he can actually recover now since edge guarding is practically gone.

No matter how many times you bash him around offstage, unless it's a spike, he'll keep flying higher and higher from most aerials and can eventually be high enough to grab the ledge or just even make it back to the stage itself.

Also dunno what you mean on dtilt to DACUS. Yoshi's DACUS is still a total halt. Not like Greninja Sheik etc.
down tilt to a dacus up smash can lead to kills if they miss a tech yes his dacus isnt as good as greninja or sheik but it still kills really early and it comes out super quick. Egg Stall. Kind of like mario's cape and marth side b off stage. yoshis up b actually stalls his downward momentum when recovering allowing for safer options than just recovering super high each time.

recovering super high each time isnt exactly safe since yoshi can get up smashed or up aired after. the only option to get back to the ground quickly is to yoshi bomb and that can be punished if they see it coming

Last edited:

RunC.T.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RunC.T.
3DS FC
1204-0385-5852
I'm looking for a partner for TGC as well. Peach/Rosalina main if anyone's down for teaming with one.

Xyro77

Yeah RT we know who Is good/bad FOR NOW but we do not know who is top tier at all. Things change over time. ICs were once low tier in melee and Rob use to be high tier in brawl. As the years go on, we ended up knowing better.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
down tilt to a dacus up smash can lead to kills if they miss a tech yes
Dtilt knocks em away and if they use a getup attack they have a bit of invincibility frames and can hit you away, either way why do inputs for a dacus when you could just run up to em and do a regular upsmash in that case if they don't do a get up attack since again a total halt for our dacus. No need for multiple inputs when we can just tilt the c-stick (wii u next month) to do an Usmash lol

Egg Stall. Kind of like mario's cape and marth side b off stage. yoshis up b actually stalls his downward momentum when recovering allowing for safer options than just recovering super high each time.
Egg toss again only gives two hops, the first one being huge and basically the recovery while the second is a hop that's compared to the third hop from egg toss in brawl which isn't big at all. Our 3rd egg toss is what our 5th egg toss in brawl would've been, absolutely nothing with us actually plummeting down.

So dunno why we'd use our UpB to stall, but if anything we can do in the air if we input UpB is do a weird thing we can do now where the egg just falls out of our hands basically, goes through our nose, and goes straight down without much of an arc to it.

Last edited:

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
Dtilt knocks em away and if they use a getup attack they have a bit of invincibility frames and can hit you away, either way why do inputs for a dacus when you could just run up to em and do a regular upsmash in that case if they don't do a get up attack since again a total halt for our dacus. No need for multiple inputs when we can just tilt the c-stick (wii u next month) to do an Usmash lol

Egg toss again only gives two hops, the first one being huge and basically the recovery while the second is a hop that's compared to the third hop from egg toss in brawl which isn't big at all. Our 3rd egg toss is what our 5th egg toss in brawl would've been, absolutely nothing with us actually plummeting down.

So dunno why we'd use our UpB to stall, but if anything we can do in the air if we input UpB is do a weird thing we can do now where the egg just falls out of our hands basically, goes through our nose, and goes straight down without much of an arc to it.
Up b IMO is mainly for coverage, the threat of getting hit by the egg is big enough for some people not to go out for a kill off stage. Once i get a GC controller ill probly be able to folow up different ways off of d tilt but anyways it works right now.

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
Yeah RT we know who Is good/bad FOR NOW but we do not know who is top tier at all. Things change over time. ICs were once low tier in melee and Rob use to be high tier in brawl. As the years go on, we ended up knowing better.
They're discussing the tier list as it may look during this new game's inception, not how it will look in six years. I don't think there's anything wrong with saying that Yoshi looks like top tier material, because at the moment, he does. Sure in time new discoveries may be made that change his position, but that's in the nature of tier lists. That's no reason to not discuss the current standings.

Xyro77

They're discussing the tier list as it may look during this new game's inception, not how it will look in six years. I don't think there's anything wrong with saying that Yoshi looks like top tier material, because at the moment, he does. Sure in time new discoveries may be made that change his position, but that's in the nature of tier lists. That's no reason to not discuss the current standings.
Beginning tier lists mean nothing though.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I would consider it. Would it be a one-day trip?

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
If you guys dont go to Denti's we have a tourney on the 8th as well in the woodlands. If they werent on the same day i would definitely be down for a road trip

Sync.

Smash Champion
I was thinking leave Friday night then come back Saturday night but whatever more people would want to do I'm cool with. I need to decide soon, I have to ask off correctly.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Well, I am interested but will wait until after TGC to confirm.

Xyro77

Half of houston should go to dallas and the other should go to woodlands. Dominate two cities in one day.

Top Bottom